Quantcast

BHM's Big Cars

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

xm41

Let’s face it. We all have to get around. The problem is that since about the time they started putting airbags in cars they have been putting the seats closer to the steering wheel.

Cars today just don't have the belly room that cars of the 70's & 80's had. My last car was a 1980 Chevy Malibu and it had more belly room than my current car which is a 91 Chevy Caprice. Even though the Caprice is a much larger car! I had to have the drivers seat moved back 3 inches to be able to comfortably drive the car.

What do other BHM’s drive and what accommodations did you have to make?

Ron

Zandoz

Highly irregular
I do not know if there is a production car made that I would fit into now days...it's just a matter of how tightly wedged behind the wheel I am. The last car that I was remotely comfortable in was an 89 Buick LeSabre....but that was 5 years and 50-75 lbs ago. Today on the rare occasions that I drive, it's a PT Cruiser...and even rarer an S10 Blazer. Even though the PT is more cramped, in the long run, it is more comfortable <shrug>. For me, either way it's a cork-screw maneuver getting in, and the belly rubs on the steering wheel. One thing I will add, being a fat guy all my driving life, one observation I've made...the exterior size of a car is irrelevant to the room behind the wheel. Some of the cars I've enjoyed the most were 2 door subcompacts...and it really bummed out my wife when neither of us would fit behind the wheel of a huge Lincoln Town Car that she had her sights set on...when she was driving a 4cyl Grand Am.

PolarKat

Digital Sun tanning
Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ, the seat extends back quite a bit, and if you're tall, with the hard top on you don't have the whole bash your head getting in and out.

I've also got the cherokee 4door, not as spacey as the real jeep, but if that airbag ever deploys, I'm sure I'm going to have broken ribs.

and surprisingly I borrow my fathers... suziki sprint/pontiac firefly, it's got quite a bit of clearance from the steering wheel, the only problem is my ass is on the seatbelt buckle so it's impossibe to wear a seatbelt, and my leg rests up on the gear shit making it annoying to go into 1st & 2nd..

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
Oh this is a good topic.

I used to drive a 1999 Rav4 L. And since I would drive the majority of the time Chris & I went somewhere, Chris' weight took a toll on my car's suspension and shocks. The whole entire car tipped to the right (from the back), even when he wasn't in it. What drove the nail into the coffin on my car... was that the gas tank ruptured.

Now, I have an even smaller car... a 2008 Scion tC. Usually Chris drives in his van, but occasionally we'll take my new car. It doesn't tip nearly as much as the Rav4, but since it's smaller... it's certainly difficult for Chris to fit in for long periods of time.
Of course, it's eye candy for me, lookin' at him squeezed into the passenger seat. *drools*

Carl1h

figure O
Last year I picked up a GMC Sonoma small pickup truck. My criterion were (in no particular order):

Bench seat (they just don't make bucket seats big enough for my ass)
Automatic transmission on the steering column so that it doesn't limit me from spreading out sideways
High enough that I don't hurt my knees standing up when I get out of it (I hate low cars)
Small Engine so that I get decent gas mileage.

The best deal I could find when I was looking was this Sonoma, but I would think other trucks could fit the bill as well.

The steering wheel belly contact is a little bit of a comfort problem, but on the plus side I find that I can steer with my belly when I need both hands to keep my soft drink from spilling.

IwannabeVERYfat

ready to be fattened up!!
for my daily driver I own a 1984 Buick Le Sabre limited 4 door sedan
for my weekend cruiser,and car shows, a 1976 Buick Electra 225 4 door hardtop ( a 48,981 original mile survivor)

Sugar Magnolia

so sweet.
oh, nice. When I was a youngin', we had a 77 Buick Electra - it was sparkly blue with a white Landau top. The interior was a baby-bluish velvety material. It must've been huge inside, because I remember climbing back and forth over the seats - and I was a really tall kid, and fat, too. Anyway, sharp, I tell ya! :)

IwannabeVERYfat

ready to be fattened up!!
oh, nice. When I was a youngin', we had a 77 Buick Electra - it was sparkly blue with a white Landau top. The interior was a baby-bluish velvety material. It must've been huge inside, because I remember climbing back and forth over the seats - and I was a really tall kid, and fat, too. Anyway, sharp, I tell ya! :)

'76 was the last year of the really big Buicks, in '77 they began downsizing them

I love the ride, they are like riding on air :)

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
Jeep CJ/YJ/TJ, the seat extends back quite a bit, and if you're tall, with the hard top on you don't have the whole bash your head getting in and out.
YUPPERS, my BF is 6'5 and 400 or so and he just fits in his Jeep, my Audi A4 is a push for him, his 16 yr old son could barely get in my back seat :(

PolarKat

Digital Sun tanning
YUPPERS, my BF is 6'5 and 400 or so and he just fits in his Jeep, my Audi A4 is a push for him, his 16 yr old son could barely get in my back seat :(
I'm 6'1" and just a bit lighter, and I though I had it bad. There's not many cars that he can stay in for long trips. I absolutely love the jeeps, once the weather is right, the roof and doors get tossed in the backyard, with the doors out, It adds that bit of extra comfort space, and on occasion I drop the windshield to get a bit of that bike feeling back again..

desi7482

I drive a 2001 Ford Expedition. It has plenty of room in it for me. It just kills me in gas lol.

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
My "manly" toyota camry station wagon does just fine. If it can pull this ass at 120 without sputtering and dying, it's a well-built machine.

big_j

i myself prefer older cars, for a while i drove a 79 lincoln towncar, god that thing had insane ammounts of room, right now im in the process of restoring that and a 71 lincoln mark 3, thats got good room too, now for every day driver i was driving a 93 chevy astro, that was doing good till it died on me last week, so sometime within the next few days im supposed to take a 96 crown victoria police cruiser for a spin, hopefully somthing works out beacuse i really need a car to drive, being the lincoln is in a few pieces about the garage.

Fight

I drive a 2004 Pontiac Montana. A lot of room but the electronics in it have a lot of problems.

Allie Cat

I'm not really too fat to fit in any cars that I know of, my only problem is height... every once in a while I run into one where my head squishes against the ceiling. But I drive a 1991 Dodge Spirit, and it's big enough for me, and it was big enough for my ex if she put the steering wheel up and lifted the armrests.

fuzzybubba

I know what you mean, between my wife (she's 300) and my self (I'm 435) we really had to look hard to find cars/trucks we both could drive/fit in and live with. She's got a '08 Honda Element and a '92 Dodge Colt Hatchback that she bought new (we fit in both but the Colt's a real pain in the ass to get in and out of). I have a '92 Isuzu Rodeo "S" 2wd with the bench seat w/2.6 & 5 speed (bought it new), lots of room, 3 classics cars I've restored, 2 '64 Rambler wagons
(a Classic 770 & a Ambassador 990), a '68 Plymouth Fury III Suburban wagon and I'm currently restoring a '79 Mercedes Benz 300 TD (diesel) wagon. I fit in all 4 of them with room to spare and I have invested less the 2 Ramblers and the Plymouth than we spent on the Honda.

Latest posts