Biggest. Turn-Off. Ever

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

SlightlyMorbid

Darth Cuddles
Don't get me started on the whole D/s bullshit.

Some people are complete fucking jokes when it comes down to it.
It gave me a few good laughs though as there's people who simply just really try too hard xD

GordoNegro

My Biggest turn off would have to be a Strong Personality.
I know its 1 thing to be confident, and to tell people directly what you have issues with as opposed to avoiding ineviteable clashes.
It's another to know sometimes you have to agree to disagree, that some Strong Personality People are quick to trade barbs but easily offended when things come to close to home.

Physically I would have to say poor hygiene.
Knowing at a larger size you have to work harder or do more as it goes with the territory as I would rather smell of cologne or chocolate than the other scents out there. If I have to be a walking stereotype, I'd rather be clean, jolly and joyful as opposed to the human pig stereotypes from Jerry Springer episodes of years past that permeate through people's minds.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
My Biggest turn off would have to be a Strong Personality.
I know its 1 thing to be confident, and to tell people directly what you have issues with as opposed to avoiding ineviteable clashes.
It's another to know sometimes you have to agree to disagree, that some Strong Personality People are quick to trade barbs but easily offended when things come to close to home.
Your description of a 'strong personality' is interesting. I've always thought of it as a desirable trait. Different strokes, I suppose. However I don't associate strong personalities automatically with oversensitivity, hypocrisy, hostility or aggression; I associate those qualities with those specific words. I also think that the most passive-aggressive people are the ones who couch what they dislike in vague general terms and I'd rather someone be direct rather than that. Again, YMMV.

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large
I'm by no means a label whore or anything when it comes to clothes. But if a guy is trying to get with me and he straight up wears affliction, nope, I'm over it.

Affliction, Tap Out, and Ed Hardy seriously have made clothing so the average person can tell who is an asshole, I swear.

On a separate note, I also hate bronies :p I honestly just dont understand the new my little pony. The plot is not good like everyone says and honestly it just reminds me of furries, which also slightly terrify me as I had one stalk me at a convention one year.
(one eyebrow raised) What was that about furries?

Sirius-ly, we come in all stripes (not just the skunks), and have all kinds of tastes. Try not to tar all furries with the same brush, please. :)

As for bronies... well, the series gets points for flying the geek flag proudly with their shot-by-shot replication of the end of A New Hope, and even more for casting John DeLancie in an essentially Q-like role. I just don't go for it myself.

Goreki

Fairy tales and Woe
(one eyebrow raised) What was that about furries?
You just need one absolute dickhead in any subculture to sour your view of the subculture as a whole. And there's nothing dickheads seem to like more than a place where they can be "special"

Wanderer

Actor at Extra-Large
You just need one absolute dickhead in any subculture to sour your view of the subculture as a whole. And there's nothing dickheads seem to like more than a place where they can be "special"
(looks around)

Correct me if I'm wrong, here... but *everyone* likes a place where they can be "special".

Yes, I do understand what you mean. Just pointing out the way you phrased it makes it applicable to everyone here. :)

But yeah, we have our pains. We also have some great people, from a BHM autoworker in Tennessee (who's also a gun lover) to a doctor of chemistry. Like this forum, there's a lot more to us than the weird stuff. ;)

SlightlyMorbid

Darth Cuddles
Men with no backbone and can't set aside certain feelings without hurting others with it in the process.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
"You read comic books and watch cartoons? Aren't those for little kids?"

rassle frassle
I tend to hear that a lot, both directly and from nerd friends. The significant others love the income and lifestyle that nerdy tech jobs provide but frown upon the hobbies and interests related to it. Boys will always have their toys, whether it's light sabers or fishing lures.

My retort is always "Ok, what adult, mature hobbies would YOU recommend I engage in?"

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
I tend to hear that a lot, both directly and from nerd friends. The significant others love the income and lifestyle that nerdy tech jobs provide but frown upon the hobbies and interests related to it. Boys will always have their toys, whether it's light sabers or fishing lures.

My retort is always "Ok, what adult, mature hobbies would YOU recommend I engage in?"

The ones I engage in.....like reading the Twilight Saga ;)

Shawnababyy

My biggest turnoff would probably be cockiness. There's a difference between confidence and being cocky. I just can't stand to talk to a guy who thinks he's amazing. I like when I compliment a guy and being able to flatter him and hearing a "thank you" after; rather than complimenting him and getting a response like, "i know." Just bothers me:p

Mordecai

The fire is coming for us
Flakiness - I dislike making plans, setting aside time and then having it be for nothing. I can understand it happening once in awhile but after a certain point it is just so bothersome.

Librarygirl

Flakiness - I dislike making plans, setting aside time and then having it be for nothing. I can understand it happening once in awhile but after a certain point it is just so bothersome.
Yep, I'm with you on that one. Doesn' t matter who it is, but people who say stuff they don't mean (be it about plans / keeping in touch / doing something / feeling a certain way) sucks. Why say you will do something if you don't intend to follow through? It's like insulting my intelligence/ powers of memory to have the arrogance to assume I won't notice!

Rant over...

Critters

I'm new around here. Figured this was as good a place as any to jump in and post.

I'm not physically picky, though I do find thin, average, and musclebound men less attractive. I find the gymbody look (and the personality that all too often goes with it) very unattractive. I like fat guys, and have found that fat guys tend to make much nicer, more attentive, more interesting boyfriends. They've developed their own personalities, interests, minds, and manners far more than the guys that have always had the interest of more conventionally-minded women come way too easy.

I do second the physical cleanliness thing though.. and I really hate it when someone douses themselves in cologne, aftershave, or body-spray in order to hide the smell of poor hygiene or cig smoke. I'm very sensitive to artificial/chemical scents, and I prefer the smell of a good, honest day's work kind of sweat to a harsh chemical scent. I just don't want to be around someone who doesn't wash for days on end and then tries to hide it.

Smoking is a turn-off for me... I've already supported one person I loved during his terrible, painful, traumatic last months due to lung cancer, and I just can't go through that again with someone else I love without major, lasting, and likely terminal damage to my own emotions and psyche. I barely made it through with my mind intact, so for this one, the turn-off is solely about self-protection. That said, I don't have a problem if someone wants to smoke a joint or even a cig now and then, as long as it isn't a daily or even weekly thing. Cancer scares the living hell out of me.

I don't care if a person is a social drinker, as long as they're ok with the fact that alcohol just makes me maudlin and weepy, so I don't bother drinking. I'm a built-in DD and never mind making sure friends get home safe after a night's debauching. I'm liberal as hell about recreational drug use, even to the point of so-called 'hard drugs' (within limits... I'll babysit a friend's LSD trip to make sure he doesn't go thinking he's Superman and leaping off the roof, but I'm not going to stick around someone who's into methamphetamine.. I've had negative run-ins with meth-heads-one pulled a gun on me). But I've seen how alcoholism/addiction ruins lives and wrecks relationships. I want someone who can remain in control and not let an addiction take over his life. I want a relationship with a person, not with a side-effect. I understand the mechanisms of addiction, why it happens, and I have a lot of sympathy for those who are caught in that struggle, but I just don't want to be caught in it myself, as the other-half of someone who can't get free.

I can't stand a bully. Someone who laughs at another person's misfortune is a huge turn-off. Someone who laughs at a mentally disabled person is going to find my fist deep amid his crushed nasal bones. That kind of cruel, heartless, ugly 'sense of humour' is perhaps my biggest turn-off of all. It's also one of those things that instantly sets off my 'Must beat the hell out of this douchebag' trigger. A lot of people forget that it takes far more strength to be kind, helpful, supportive, and understanding than it does to ridicule. And if a person is willing to bully and ridicule a vulnerable stranger, that person is capable of bullying/abusing a romantic partner.

Religiosity is a turn-off for me too. I've tried relationships with religious believers before, and it has never worked out. I just can't have a relationship with someone who believes in something I just can't respect.

Ignorance, especially the wilful, intentful sort is a real turn off. There are a lot of people who seem to be downright proud of their ignorance and determined to keep being ignorant, especially when it comes to their negative attitudes effecting how other people live their own lives, like with homophobics who persist in voting to prevent human rights advances like gay marriage, and racists who think that their own race is the only one that counts. Again, I can't love someone I can't respect. I love a guy who can talk books, is interested in science, can passionately geek-out about his favourite obscure interests, and turn my mind on to something I never really paid much mind to before. Someone open-minded, educated (self-educated or otherwise), bright, creative, and passionate about something beyond TV and sports. To date, I've only found that with one person, and he's (unfortunately) very taken...

At this point in my life, I don't really care if I never find the right person. I'm happy single. But if the right person came along, the person with whom I'd be happier as a couple, I'd be fine with that too.

Latest posts