• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Body dysmorphic disorder

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
Body dysmorphic disorder (BDD) (previously known as Dysmorphophobia[1] is sometimes referred to as body dysmorphia or dysmorphic syndrome[2]) is a (psychological) anxiety disorder in which the affected person is excessively concerned about and preoccupied by a perceived defect in his or her physical features (body image). Depending on the individual case, BDD may either be an anxiety disorder or part of an eating disorder or both: BDD always includes a debilitating or excessive fear of judgement by others, as is seen with social anxiety, social phobia and some OCD problems; or alternately may be a part of eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa and compulsive overeating. Although the term "body dysmorphic disorder" itself describes only those excessive social acceptance fears that relate to one's personal body image. Depending on the individual it may or may not also be part of one of these wider or related syndromes.

The sufferer may complain of several specific features or a single feature, or a vague feature or general appearance, causing psychological distress that impairs occupational and/or social functioning, sometimes to the point of severe depression and anxiety, development of other anxiety disorders, social withdrawal or complete social isolation, and more.[3] It is estimated that 1–2% of the world's population meet all the diagnostic criteria for BDD (Psychological Medicine, vol 36, p 877).

The exact cause(s) of BDD differ(s) from person to person. However, most clinicians believe it could be a combination of biological, psychological and environmental factors from their past or present. Abuse and neglect can also be contributing factors.[4][5]

Onset of symptoms generally occurs in adolescence or early adulthood, where most personal criticism of one's own appearance usually begins, although cases of BDD onset in children and older adults is not unknown. BDD is often misunderstood to affect mostly women, but research shows that it affects men and women equally.[citation needed]

The disorder is linked to significantly diminished quality of life and can be co-morbid with major depressive disorder and social phobia, also known as chronic social anxiety. With a completed-suicide rate more than double than that of major depression, and a suicidal ideation rate of around 80%, BDD is considered a major risk factor for suicide.[citation needed]

A person with the disorder may be treated with psychotherapy, medication, or both. Research has shown cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) to be effective in treating BDD.[citation needed] BDD is a chronic illness and symptoms are likely to persist, or worsen, if left untreated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_dysmorphic_disorder

I sometimes wonder....could this be why I always see myself as "fatter", "bigger" than most people here...no matter what they say they weigh?
I find myself out in the world, always labeling myself "FATTER THAN ANYBODY ELSE". Why would I do that?

I have an eating disorder- one that is mentioned in the article. It wasn't until my time here, being constantly taken aback when a woman posts her weight and she weighs more than me. I see myself as much bigger and this spins my head into wondering if I'm built "wrong" or "funny" or if the height difference is that great, etc.
It's kind of frustrating.....this great inability to see myself how I am in the mirror. I see such lovely women here sometimes....with bodies I envy. I wish I could view my own without judgment of some sort. Even when I feel good about myself, I feel stinted in how I look upon myself. I would love to overcome this about myself.....but I think I have to figure out exactly what it is that I am doing and why. Could it be this?

I would love for others, not just BBW but others with an ED or information about them, to share their experiences with any of this.

Latest posts

Back