Breaking Chairs??

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

joey86

Like your thinking Brian! Yeah full of fat friendly ideas me hehe :).

Alzison

Once you break a chair I think you're always keenly aware of the potential for it to happen again. The first (and only, but it doesn't mean I don't think of it constantly) time this happened to me was during the huge alumni & student concert I was performing in while I was still in college. It happened midway thru the concert- right in the middle of giant school gym that was conveniently full of people. Just one big splat and I was on the ground. Stupid plastic chairs. Now I back away from anything with thin metal legs and a loose hinge.

That definitely wasn't the most awkward furniture breaking moment for me, though. The best (worst) was last summer. I was spending the night with a fella who was only visiting for a short while and was crashing at his friend's pad. I bet you can see where this is going, but the bed basically collapsed during a rather... inopportune time. And it wasn't even his bed! I'm sure he enjoyed explaining those circumstances to his buddy :doh: :eek: Par for the FA course, I suppose :D

LovelyLiz

Just had my first real, public experience of this happening tonight. I was not as horrified as I might have expected myself to be in this situation (ironically, the name of the show we were seeing was "Mortified"), but the experience was somewhat embarrassing. Luckily the place was dark and I was sitting in the midst of people I knew.

Fuck cheap plastic folding chairs. Fuck them so much.

My one real worry was about how my boyfriend would react - he's a super understanding person in general, but he's also very thin and I sometimes fear (needlessly) how he'll react to these kinds of things, since they're so far outside his own realm of experience. All I will say is that he was a rockstar. I still feel a little embarrassed I think, but I am also glad in a way that it happened, because it allowed him to see a bit more into my experiences and to just be aware of these possibilities. And really, a month from now I'll probably consider it mostly a good thing that this happened (not that the place had horrible chairs, or that I could have been hurt but gladly wasn't, but just that it brought this out into the open in a new way). Not quite there yet, but I can see it on the horizon.

Fat Brian

retarded disfigured clown
Its great that your BF was able to handle the situation in a mature and respectful way, it sounds like you two have something very special.

huskyman78

One time I bought a brand new recliner from big lots for around $300 or so and not 4 days later it broke on me.. come to find out the frame was supported by a cheap looking piece of wood.. smh.

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire
I ALWAYS worry about breaking chairs / couches / etc.! My mother drilled it into my head to sit up straight and sit still as a child, though, and it's never actually happened to me. (So far.)

It's funny, because I weigh twice what my husband does, but I never break chairs... whereas he is absolutely horrible on them. He fidgets and sits in them weird so the weight distribution is off, and he tends to sit down hard - so he is the chair destroyer of the two of us.

I'm very careful about testing seating before I sit down all the way, though, and I put a lot of weight on my feet if it doesn't feel sturdy.

Rathkhan

I was psychologically scarred by an incident in the 6th grade where I was running in from recess, being a bit chubby at the time but not a lot, and decided it would be a good idea to let my ass lead the rest of my body to slam into my chair. It was a wood seat chair with aluminum legs. The legs were not meant to fold, but fold they did when I landed and they buckled and it left me sprawled on the floor next to the now useless chair.

Ever since then I have literally never taken a seat without full testing and certification by me, that the chair will hold my weight. I've really cut it close more times than I can count, I would hear the creaks and the protests of the chair as I lowered my 400+ lb body onto the structure but so far, I've avoided any real breakage while I was in the seat. Though, I have had situations where I sit in a seat, much against it's wishes, only to get up and see the next person sit down (usually someone thin) and crash right through it because I had weakened it's structure beyond use.

It's probably the second worst thing I can think of about being fat. The first being the limitations in actually getting INTO a seat in the first place (Roller coasters and restaurants with nothing but arm-seats, stadium seats, airplane seats, theater seats, etc, etc...).

coffeetx

Unfortunately I have had this experience. I broke 2 of my own dining room chairs which really ruined the set b/c we had to order more. I also broke a kitchen chair at my friend's house. That was the worst. Thankfully they were good friends but it was still very embarrassing. After that, I stopped trusting chairs. I pretty much refuse to sit in one unless I know it's very sturdy. I test it out first. I've also broken two toilet seats. Grrr....the downside to being a big girl.

Heyyou

Thread link

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1776675

My reply, to continue this one http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1773227&postcount=53

[quote[Quote:
Originally Posted by CastingPearls
I'm reading a lot of what the men like and want but not about their reaction to how the women who break things feel about it. What I mean is, if your lady isn't thrilled that she's breaking things and instead cries or is injured or humiliated--is that also part of what turns you on?

I'm genuinely curious.

[/quote]

My answer, again, from http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1776675
and http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1773227&postcount=53 :

The pain and/or humiliation that would happen if a Shallow Hal moment happened would be, "no, nobody is enjoying this. *help lady up* Come on, lets just go and ignore all these people staring at us, they dont know anything. *turns to them, and says loudly* What the !!!! ya'll lookng at!?" So, if the lady got hurt in that scenario.. no.

If there was a video camera rolling and a whole bunch of food was just consumed and i came in with a wicker small chair from a thrift store and it then became a video going right to clips4sale, id have a raging !!!!! and also be shooting great content im sure many people would buy on clips4sale. And some chairs actually hold 400lbs+ people up quite well, they have to BOUNCE on them to break them! Its good for the video, though. I have a lot of vids of this happening.

Genuine answer. I skipped some posts that seemed "back and forth," but yeah, pretty much what KHayes said after your post. I even repped him for it. (And im not familiar with Boston, but that seems a pretty countrywide attitude to have, in terms of if your ladyfriend is hurt, or enjoying herself!)

sizefriendlyacf

To all of you,
I would hope you would take the time to contact me about comfortable, stylist, chairs for indoor and outdoor use especially made for your community.
I have many happy customers and would love to assit you any way possible.
I have displayed them at the LV Bash, NAFFA, LBC Chicago and was at the Dimensions Bash in Florida. We also have Office and Dining Chairs as well as gliders. I would be happy to email you pictures and descriptions. sizefriendly@yahoo.com
dennis

genevathistime

Visage de Poupée
Oh my....I have worn OUT some chairs in my time. I straight-up ask people now if I'm not sure: "Is this fat girl friendly?"...also this can be used as a wonderful ice-breaker (pun intended). lol

All in all...I kind of know chairs by now. If it looks questionable...eh...I'm going to stand or figure something better out.

cherrybombXI

This is actually one of my biggest fears. I've never actually broken a chair and I want to keep it that way. I go out of my way to avoid places where the chairs seem a little too precarious for my liking. I have some friends who think I'm neurotic (everyone I know LOVES Five Guys and they have the tiniest wooden chairs so I refuse to go!) but I just don't think I'd be able to deal with the embarrassment and the possibility of embarrassing my friends.

KHayes666

Go away
This is actually one of my biggest fears. I've never actually broken a chair and I want to keep it that way. I go out of my way to avoid places where the chairs seem a little too precarious for my liking. I have some friends who think I'm neurotic (everyone I know LOVES Five Guys and they have the tiniest wooden chairs so I refuse to go!) but I just don't think I'd be able to deal with the embarrassment and the possibility of embarrassing my friends.
What Five Guys did you go to? The one I went to had really big chairs.

Guess the one in your location just sucks.

Heyyou

I have to agree with Mr. KHayes! Ive been to Five Guys in two states (its a restaurant ive only ate at a few times,) but they all had metal chairs. Like a public cafeteria of some kind.

Maybe your location is trying to be different and artsy, but in reality has Epic Failed? (My restaurant i work at also has metal chairs, raised like a bar for the counter seating as well as normal chairs and seating.) Do they look flimsy, the chairs?

:( Brings to mind memories of the movie Shallow Hal... i didnt think it was very funny, as far as fat jokes being put into images.

Im at a place now with wicker basketweave chairs for the outside. They have the arms that.... prohibit any type of comfortable seating for some.

Based on your post, if you feel that the chairs cant handle you then i think you are absolutely doing the right thing, there are other eateries. I could name one.. ;) (Five Guys for me = Burgers are too big, fries dont taste right, too big portions, and/or stuff costs too much. Might as well go to Ruby Tuesdays, almost. Or Chilis. NONE of these restaurants have very good "value," and thats my particular opinion of Five Guys, and hence why i only went there a few times.)

cherrybombXI

What Five Guys did you go to? The one I went to had really big chairs.

Guess the one in your location just sucks.
There are like three in Pittsburgh and at lease two of them have the stupid wooden chairs! The one around my hometown is just the same way! The ones around me do just suck, I guess, haha.

I have to agree with Mr. KHayes! Ive been to Five Guys in two states (its a restaurant ive only ate at a few times,) but they all had metal chairs. Like a public cafeteria of some kind.

Maybe your location is trying to be different and artsy, but in reality has Epic Failed? (My restaurant i work at also has metal chairs, raised like a bar for the counter seating as well as normal chairs and seating.) Do they look flimsy, the chairs?

:( Brings to mind memories of the movie Shallow Hal... i didnt think it was very funny, as far as fat jokes being put into images.

Im at a place now with wicker basketweave chairs for the outside. They have the arms that.... prohibit any type of comfortable seating for some.

Based on your post, if you feel that the chairs cant handle you then i think you are absolutely doing the right thing, there are other eateries. I could name one.. ;) (Five Guys for me = Burgers are too big, fries dont taste right, too big portions, and/or stuff costs too much. Might as well go to Ruby Tuesdays, almost. Or Chilis. NONE of these restaurants have very good "value," and thats my particular opinion of Five Guys, and hence why i only went there a few times.)
They do seem kind of flimsy, they're very small and some are really unsteady.
It's really the only place that peaks my anxiety as far as seating goes. I was with a guy a while back who was really uncomfortable with my weight and was always trying to put me on different diets and stuff but his favorite restaurant in the world was Five Guys and he'd drag me there all of the time and I couldn't explain my anxiety about the place to him or I'd have gotten a sermon about my weight so we always stood at the raised area around the back, which was alright. It is way more expensive than is appropriate for it's quality, so eh, I'm not missing out on much by avoiding the place now!

(p.s. I've never seen Shallow Hal!)

Heyyou

There are like three in Pittsburgh and at lease two of them have the stupid wooden chairs! The one around my hometown is just the same way! The ones around me do just suck, I guess, haha.

They do seem kind of flimsy, they're very small and some are really unsteady.
It's really the only place that peaks my anxiety as far as seating goes. I was with a guy a while back who was really uncomfortable with my weight and was1. always trying to put me on different diets and stuff but his favorite restaurant in the world was Five Guys and he'd drag me there all of the time and I couldn't explain my anxiety about the place to him or I'd have gotten a sermon about my weight so we always stood at the raised area around the back, which was alright. It is way more expensive than is appropriate for it's quality, so eh, I'm not missing out on much by avoiding the place now!

2.(p.s. I've never seen Shallow Hal!)
1. (I was about to say) "And you let him do that!!?!?!" lol. Good for you, the word was "tried" :)

2. Dont. Its a waste. (Unless you like stupid, corny, un-funny, and some mean fat jokes. And yes, one of them is her "breaking a chair." I didnt .. see the humor in it. It wasnt funny, it was unfortunate!)

Pittsburgh, eh? I been there a few times. Had seen my friend there... a few times. I liked the drive, and enjoyed going to Popeyes and in/around the city. It reminded me somewhat of Ithaca, NY (somewhat) - but with more steel. Not bad place. And im posting this from a Quiznos, lol.. (i enjoyed the food already. I want to get more) but i have been to Popeyes and some other places there. (You also like "Five Guys" more than i do, though they are kind of tasty i still feel there are better eateries. Maybe not everywhere, though.. hmmm.) Just as long as its not "Sheetz." :doh: :)

cherrybombXI

1. (I was about to say) "And you let him do that!!?!?!" lol. Good for you, the word was "tried" :)

2. Dont. Its a waste. (Unless you like stupid, corny, un-funny, and some mean fat jokes. And yes, one of them is her "breaking a chair." I didnt .. see the humor in it. It wasnt funny, it was unfortunate!)

Pittsburgh, eh? I been there a few times. Had seen my friend there... a few times. I liked the drive, and enjoyed going to Popeyes and in/around the city. It reminded me somewhat of Ithaca, NY (somewhat) - but with more steel. Not bad place. And im posting this from a Quiznos, lol.. (i enjoyed the food already. I want to get more) but i have been to Popeyes and some other places there. (You also like "Five Guys" more than i do, though they are kind of tasty i still feel there are better eateries. Maybe not everywhere, though.. hmmm.) Just as long as its not "Sheetz." :doh: :)
I don't really plan on it, haha, the basic premise just really isn't my kinda thing lol. And yes, Pittsburgh! Or around Pittsburgh, rather. I little north in my little college town. :) I've never been to Ithaca, I'm from Gettysburg so I mostly travel around lower PA and MD.
And we thrive on Sheetz around here! At 2am on Thursdays.

Group builder