Britain's fattest teenager regains 16st (224lbs) in 16 months...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Orchid

Georgia Davis is still in hospital. The Sun UK tabloid newspaper had an article about her. She has a Facebook page, you can send her get well wishes.

bigmac

To gain that much weight in such a short amount of time must be the result of severely disordered eating. The fact that she was too big to leave the house means that someone must have been helping her get food, what are they thinking? If she were an alcoholic you wouldn't just keep buying her alcohol.

It's so so sad, but I honestly can't understand how people around her allowed this to happen.
If you read the articles that have been written about this poor girl over the years you'll see that her family has issues of their own that appear to have contributed to her condition.

Many people turn to alcohol and drugs as self-medication for the pain inflicted by dysfunctional families. Many people also turn to food (a close friend of mine jokes that "chocolate cake never lets you down").

Lizzie

This really is unfortunate. This teenager was already handling responsibilities that I, as an adult, would find difficult. She needs love and support to develop a healthy relationship with food, and it sounds like she isn't getting it. And on top of all of that, she's dealing with headlines about her weight.

Regardless of whether she loses the weight, I hope that she can find happiness within herself.

Qit el-Remel

Geek and FFA
This really is unfortunate. This teenager was already handling responsibilities that I, as an adult, would find difficult. She needs love and support to develop a healthy relationship with food, and it sounds like she isn't getting it. And on top of all of that, she's dealing with headlines about her weight.

Regardless of whether she loses the weight, I hope that she can find happiness within herself.
After reading the article over at HuffPo, I'm going to have to agree with pretty much all of this.

joswitch

Exile from Main Board
After reading the article over at HuffPo, I'm going to have to agree with pretty much all of this.
Frankly, given Georgia's repeated requests for help, and her virtual immobility over the past year (or two?) I suspect at least one adult in the household (the mother) of Munchausen's by proxy.
When she had just returned from the US having got down to 18st (250lbs) and her mother served her fish + chips, claiming there was nothing else in the house - that was very telling, IMO.

kentwildt

I heard that she is not doing well. She has a bad infection. I wish her the best and a full recovery.

EMH1701

Frankly, given Georgia's repeated requests for help, and her virtual immobility over the past year (or two?) I suspect at least one adult in the household (the mother) of Munchausen's by proxy.
When she had just returned from the US having got down to 18st (250lbs) and her mother served her fish + chips, claiming there was nothing else in the house - that was very telling, IMO.
Fish and chips are good, but it's like everything else in life, eating them 7 days a week isn't good for you. There's got to be balance in life. Does Britain not have a food stamp-like program for poor families?

Also, her father is alive and living with the family. She wasn't just living with her sick mother. So I have to wonder about his role in all of this.

veggieforever

High Carb Low Fat Vegan
I remember seeing the documentary about her quest to lose weight a few years ago and followed her progress through Wellsprings. I was over the moon when this very young woman beat the odds and lost such a vast amount if weight and looked amazing. So my heart broke when I seen she had regained all her weight and then some. I hope she can muster the same motivation back at Wellsprings and save her own life. She is too young for all this, truly she is. I have no idea how she copes with this dire situation but I am assured the sky is always darkest before dawn. Perhaps she will rise from this armed with knowledge of past mistakes and go on to lose the weight that is literally killing her. I am certainly hoping for the best for her but only she can do it. It's a hard task - but not impossible. There speaks the glimmer of hope for her in that sentence: its not impossible.

Latest posts