Quantcast

Bursts of color from under the sea

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
A few weeks ago I went scuba diving off the coast of San Diego. The water was very cold (about 48 degrees Fahrenheit at the bottom) and the visibility was poor, maybe 10 to 15 feet. I went down to see the wreck of the Canadian destroyer Yukon, which rests in about 105 feet of water. It was almost pitch-black down there, but the dive lights and camera flash revealed an explosion of color that you'd never expect in such dark and seemingly hostile places.

Below you can see some of the pictures we took. The red and white anemones cover most of the wreck and are breathtakingly beautiful.

I also did some kelp diving. On the surface, kelp looks just like ugly seaweed. Underwater they are grand, magical plants gently swaying, with intricate structures never seen on dry ground. They also harbor some incredibly colorful creatures, like the nudibranchs (orange/purple) and anemone (green) shown below. The pictures were taken with a Canon G10 14-megapixel camera with deepwater housing.

View attachment wreck_kelp_600.jpg

View attachment wreck_nudibranch_600.jpg

View attachment wreck_psychedelic_600.jpg

View attachment wreck_red_anemone2_600.jpg

View attachment wreck_white-_anemone_600.jpg

Risible

Monkey Daze
The pictures of the animals almost look like false color images, they're that colorful. Wow! Magical, that is.

I've only snorkled a couple times off Catalina, but they have a beautiful kelp bed in Lover's Cove that filled me with wonder - and that was, of course, on the surface. The sway of the forest in the gentle surf was mesmerizing.

Gorgeous pictures, Conrad. :happy:

Carrie

Wow! I grew up snorkeling around Rhode Island, where the underwater landscape and the colors are quite different. I don't think I'll ever stop marveling at how vivid the colors can be elsewhere. These photos are just brilliant, Conrad, and how cool to think all that color exists within darkness!

Fyreflyintheskye

☯tae kwan donut champ☯
oooooh, stunning, Chief :happy:

Carrie, I think our water up here is dark from all the salt marshes that leak nutrients that feed the plankton, but the plankton feed and makes the fishies fat & happy... so I guess it's gloomy, but it does make for very tasty seafood lol :p

Carrie

Carrie, I think our water up here is dark from all the salt marshes that leak nutrients that feed the plankton, but the plankton feed and makes the fishies fat & happy... so I guess it's gloomy, but it does make for very tasty seafood lol :p
Well, we couldn't have the fishies go hungry, now, could we, Shar? :D

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Those pics make me miss Hawaii. I loved snorkeling in Hawaii.
They're so brilliant and beautiful. You could print those and frame them for sale as art.

Punkin1024

Summer's already here!
Wow! Thanks so much for sharing those fantastic pictures, Conrad.

sugar and spice

Wow Conrad those pictures are really cool such gorgeous colorful creatures. That must have really been something to see in person thanks for sharing them with us. My husband has a large salt water aquarium with coral and all kinds of interesting creatures in it, I can't wait to show him your pictures.:)

imfree

In Remembrance
Astoundingly great photography, Webmaster, Sir!
Your Rep is in the mail.:bow:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
wow nature is amazing!
I wish I knew how to share these photos with a good friend (non-DIMS) that is really into scuba / photography.....

Latest posts