By the Book

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by one2one, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Apr 22, 2013 #1

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Most of my cooking happens without much thought to recipes, and maybe that's why I'm so enamored with a new cookbook I have called The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs by Karen Page and Andrew Dornenburg. It's brilliant. There are no recipes, but it's an amazing reference that includes every food you can think of with lists of other foods/flavors that pair well with them.

Does anyone else have any favorite cookbooks?

I'm also reading Fifty Shades of Chicken: A Parody in a Cookbook by F. L. Fowler (a pseudonym). It's hilarious, and it has some very enticing recipes.

2. Apr 22, 2013 #2

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

cinnamitch

nope

Eat This .. It'll Make You Feel Better by Dom Deluise

This book cane out in the 80's. I still have it and still love it. Full of stories from his life and includes his favorite recipes.

Clara's Kitchen: Wisdom, Memories, and Recipes from the Great Depression

I got hooked on her youtube videos and had to buy her book. She's like 97 years old and her stories about living during the depression are fascinating. The recipes are pretty straightforward and economical.

Ruby Ripples and CastingPearls like this.
  3. Apr 23, 2013 #3

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I have given this cookbook as a gift as long as I could still find it. I've made the death by chocolate cake recipe. :)

Ruby Ripples likes this.
  4. Apr 23, 2013 #4

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I have many cookbooks, and intend to get more regional as well as rare 19th century editions. (i'm interested in what our ancestors made for themselves).

Joy of Cooking, 2nd edition, is my standard. (tho I'd like to find one of the 1931 editions)

My favorite Tex-Mex cookbook reminds me so much of my childhood in Texas. (the public schools served Tex-Mex for most of the weekly lunches)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
    cinnamitch likes this.
  5. Apr 27, 2013 #5

EMH1701

EMH1701

EMH1701

Mastering the Art of French Cooking is my fave, followed by Joy of Cooking 75th Anniversary edition.

I have a decent collection of cookbooks, many of which I got at thrift stores or antique shops, but those two are my favorites.

The movie Julie & Julia got me into cooking from scratch in the first place, so definitely MtAoFC.

6. Apr 27, 2013 #6

sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise

sweetfrancaise

Currently my favorite cookbooks are Smitten Kitchen by Deb Perelman and a vintage one circa 1956 that has the most fabulous menus. I love reading cookbooks!

7. May 5, 2013 #7

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member

Thanks to you two I've now had to order a second hand copy from Amazon :p

Fuzzy and cinnamitch like this.
  8. May 31, 2013 #8

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

I had to add it to my wish list, too!

I also find the idea of collecting old cookbooks really fascinating, although I haven't begun a collection of my own.

9. May 31, 2013 #9

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

Martha Stewart's Cookies

Big cookbook devoted to all manner of cookies. There are three (3) on just chocolate chip: thin and crispy; thick and chewy; and big and cakey. There are fridge cookies, shortbreads, sugar, macaroons, etc. A must for the cookie connoisseur. :)

My favorite recipe is on page 223, Chocolate Pretzels.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2018
  10. Feb 7, 2016 #10

one2one

one2one

one2one

Sentient little hedonist

Two more to add:

One Good Dish by David Tanis and Genius Recipes from Food52.

11. Feb 10, 2016 #11

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i have a 1950 betty crocker picture cookbook. i use it mostly when i am looking for weird recipes. they made some odd stuff back then.

i have a 1971 betty crocker cook book that is my go-to. alot of the basics on how to make sauces, etc are in there.

i have a 1965 better homes and gardens cookbook that i just picked up recently at a warehouse sale. it has good info in it, but have not used it much yet. i have a bunch of the holiday themed cook books from bhg too.

i have a few southern living cookbooks. 2 of alton brown's books. i used these more when i first started cooking more than basic stuff to learn about the methods and such...not so much for the actual recipes.

i have several of the 80's/90's taste of home annual cookbooks. these i got from my mother in law. (which is funnys since she does not cook. i guess by giving them to me she has given up trying).

and a weird 'cookie and biscuit bible' cook book. i think i picked it up in a discount bin somewhere. i like to look through it for ideas, but the way they list the oz/wt/standard measure info makes it hard to read how much of each thing you are actually supposed to use. usually i find one that looks good and then either see if it is in another cook book or google it.

i have several books i pick up in discount bins as well. microwave cooking, crock pot cooking, making quick/good meals. all sorts of topics.

i have been trying to be more daring with my cooking and most of it works out. i do screw some up, but hub is usually nice about it.

12. Feb 17, 2016 #12

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

If you'd like to see just HOW odd, I recommend The Gallery of Regrettable Food, by James Lilek. :eek:

13. Feb 18, 2016 #13

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

that site is AMAZING! i bookmarked it so i can go through them all!

yes, there is some seriously messed up food from the 50's.

my favorite parts of the old cook books is the way they write the intros. Like the little housewife has no idea how to do anything and her only goal in life is to make her husband happy... :doh:

14. Feb 19, 2016 #14

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Believe it or not, we have that book here. Lileks is on the staff of one of our local newspapers, the Mpls. Star/Tribune. I flipped through it once, don't recall what was in it but it refers to the era when I was growing up and in school.

Garrison Keillor (Prairie Home Companion) has had this song on his program a number of times:
    Lime Jello Marshmallow Cottage Cheese Surprise

It certainly sounds regrettable enough but I don't know if it is in that book or not.

William Bolcom is a respected composer who has written, e.g., "A View from the Bridge", an opera presented by the Metropolitan Opera, in addition to such little ditties as that above.