Caronavirus

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Shh! Don’t tell!

Yes, we can still go out. Our borders are closed to travellers. We have restrictions on gatherings. Quarantine and self-isolation are in practice. We are at level 2 of a 4 level plan. Level 4 would involve a complete lock-down.

Last week I did all the things that I need to do to enable me to stay home apart from essentials such as shopping and medical appointments.
Speaking from a country further along in the outbreak I kind of wish we’d had a lock down or something a few weeks ago. Things would be much easier now if we’d started sooner.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Speaking from a country further along in the outbreak I kind of wish we’d had a lock down or something a few weeks ago. Things would be much easier now if we’d started sooner.
Most businesses have closed their doors and are working online. Everywhere is deserted. So, it's pretty much like lock down. The government is supplying laptops, ipads and wifi to about 70,000 children to enable them to do schoolwork at home.

squeezablysoft

I was in my local hospital on Wednesday 3/18/2020. My mother has been in-and-out of hospital/rehab for about a month now (unrelated to Coronavirus, she is 77 and has multiple chronic illnesses), and the worry and stress of her health problems plus my own stuff plus what's going on in the world right now has been wrecking my already lousy mental health.

So I've been having some nausea and stomach problems (probably not helped by my increasing junk food binging either) and been really tired, so this last time mom went back to the hospital she insisted I come too. They gave me some iv fluids and nausea medication and did blood work but ultimately decided I was ok and sent me home after several hours (more details about that in my personal thread here).

But getting back on topic, one of the first things the nurse told me was "it's probably not what you're thinking, you don't have those symptoms" but another nurse kinda gave her a look and was like "I don't know, should we test?" But they didn't test me for coronavirus. I'm slightly nervous now though because I heard them say something about one of the areas having been cleaned "because of coronavirus" (only time I heard anyone at the hospital say the word) though the person assured the person they were talking to that it was safe to go in there. Also the room I was in the floor was still wet from having just been cleaned.

And mom was discharged Friday, doctor said normally they wouldn't have sent her home yet since she really isn't well yet, but that they were doing it because of "the situation with you know what, we're over capacity and she is high risk of catching it". Nobody at the hospital wanted to say the word coronavirus or covid-19, it was all "you know what" or "what you're thinking of".

squeezablysoft

Shopping for food and supplies had been hit-and-miss here. I usually order groceries online from Publix since I have been housebound anyway courtesy of lack of accessible transportation, normally they deliver within 2-3 hours of placing your order, but I placed an order Thursday afternoon and it's estimated to arrive tomorrow evening around 5. Most of the things I ordered last shop last week I had to approve substitute brands/flavors but they had some version of everything except toilet paper, that was literally non-existent.

Shh! Don’t tell!

I was in my local hospital on Wednesday 3/18/2020. My mother has been in-and-out of hospital/rehab for about a month now (unrelated to Coronavirus, she is 77 and has multiple chronic illnesses), and the worry and stress of her health problems plus my own stuff plus what's going on in the world right now has been wrecking my already lousy mental health.

So I've been having some nausea and stomach problems (probably not helped by my increasing junk food binging either) and been really tired, so this last time mom went back to the hospital she insisted I come too. They gave me some iv fluids and nausea medication and did blood work but ultimately decided I was ok and sent me home after several hours (more details about that in my personal thread here).

But getting back on topic, one of the first things the nurse told me was "it's probably not what you're thinking, you don't have those symptoms" but another nurse kinda gave her a look and was like "I don't know, should we test?" But they didn't test me for coronavirus. I'm slightly nervous now though because I heard them say something about one of the areas having been cleaned "because of coronavirus" (only time I heard anyone at the hospital say the word) though the person assured the person they were talking to that it was safe to go in there. Also the room I was in the floor was still wet from having just been cleaned.

And mom was discharged Friday, doctor said normally they wouldn't have sent her home yet since she really isn't well yet, but that they were doing it because of "the situation with you know what, we're over capacity and she is high risk of catching it". Nobody at the hospital wanted to say the word coronavirus or covid-19, it was all "you know what" or "what you're thinking of".
sorry it’s come to that, but she and you are almost certainly safer away from the hospital. It’s not ideal for sure and I’m sorry that’s what’s going on.

Shotha

DM Supporter
@squeezablysoft If the worry is getting to you, I recommend plenty of distraction. Do things you enjoy to take you mind off things, even if it's just watch films. And laughter helps a lot. Comedy is a great way to take your mind of things. My favourite at times like this is all of the hilariously funny cat video clips that can be found on Youtube. I find that they work wonders for me. Laughter can even help with physical pain.

Rojodi

I dropped off caffeine supplies to my sister and her fellow nurses yesterday, doctors were exhausted, and we're 2 hours north of NYC.
Shortage of staff is the problems up here.

Rojodi

Medical workers are heroic. I can’t imagine what it’s like working at a hospital during this.
She had being an on-the-floor nurse three years ago, went to work for a healthcare insurance company as a Nurse Case Manager. Couple of her former coworkers asked if she knew of anyone who could come and help. She asked her bosses, they told her to go, they'll pay her salary. She brought along a cousin who retired last year, and another cousin (second) who just graduated in December.

Corey

Corey
Holy shit being stuck in quarantine is turning me into a fucking maniac
YESSSS my goddddddd I’m quickly allowing my crazy, slightly psychotic inner-person voice out of its holding shell and into the real world. Heeeeelllllp. Everyone else has an inner voice that is slightly more psychotic than their outside person, right? 👀

Corey

Corey
I’m beginning to see my children as wild animals instead of my own flesh and blood, and my inner survival instincts are slowly taking over. After listening to my son beg for his 85595583948679539th snack of the day, I found myself launching his granola bar as far away from me as I could in order to buy me enough time to sprint in the opposite direction to the safety of my bedroom. Yesterday, as I held him before bed, my son looked at me and said, “I’m gonna stay with you forever...” and my first instinct was to take it as a threat, and not as a sweet little saying to keep tucked away in my heart.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
Little did I know that working from home, with the constant Zoom meetings, would be more stressful than working from work.
I would hate having to work from home. I told my boss I was planning on coming in every day and she said no I wasn’t. So I have to pick a day to work from home. It’s gonna suck esp if the weather is nice the temptation to go kayaking instead of doing work is going to be hard to ignore.

Shotha

DM Supporter
This is my mantra for the lock-down, for anyone who's interested and might find it helpful.

यस्त्वात्मरतिरेव स्यादात्मतृप्तश्च मानवः ।
आत्मन्येव च सन्तुष्टस्तस्य कार्यं न विद्यते ॥३.१७॥

yastvātmaratireva syādātmatṛptaśca mānavaḥ |
ātmanyeva ca santuṣṭastasya kāryaṃ na vidyate ||3.17||
"But the man who rejoices only in the Self, who is satisfied with the Self, who is content in the Self alone, for him verily there is nothing (more) to be done." (Bhagavad-Gītā 3.17, Chinmaya Mission Edition)

It's all about not depending on external factors for one's happiness and well being, which should come from one's inner self.

Latest posts

Group builder