Caronavirus

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

McFeisty

I've always believed I was going to die. But a doctor told me once that I wasn't going to die. Period. No qualifications.
I chuckled at that, and he said, 'your symptoms were very serious, you could have been bleeding internally and died within hours!'
I told him that's the only reason I go to the hospital emergency department (where this happened), if I think I am about to die (and I did think that).
I didn't explain that it had sounded as if he was telling me I am immortal.
Still makes me chuckle, and I tell plenty of people that a doctor once told me I am immortal. ;)

Reactions: Tad

op user

Some time ago our esteemed member Dazzling Anna asked comments about an ad . Several weeks ago I noticed an anti-cough product being advertised with people stopping droplets from cough reaching other individual the wrong way - by putting their palm in front of their mouth while coughing. The "new" (well it has been in effect for a few years) asks the individual to cough on his/her elbow.

I wrote to the company on their company site about this, a very descriptive letter around 256 characters. A lady called me the next day and told me they were changing the ad within two weeks. Actually they stopped showing the ad the same night and launched a new ad omitting the cough-in-the-palm scenes

A small victory which to be honest I didn't count to get.

Last edited:

op user

SDt I don't judge your input I didn't know how to attact your attention. Since I know how to do it I remove the quot and replace it with the proper @Shh! Don’t tell!
From my high school years I remember saying that you have one ocean (Atlantic) one sea Med, and the Asian races to the East offering little space to expand. And if I am not mistaken the first 13 states are fairly small and they get larger as one moves West where more space is available. Add the difficulties to move North - South and you end up having barriers to create nations.

Fan fact: Do you know that the watch as a practical tool was invented in France but they export know how and people in Switzerland? Why they did that? Because France had wars while people in Switzerland were isolated during the winter for several months hence the had time to work on the watches.

Last edited:

Shotha

DM Supporter
I don’t mean to be a stereotypical American but I’m always surprised how small/close together European countries are, it’s crazy to me.
That's because there's no sea to separate most countries of Europe. So, we have learned to cooperate with each other. Humans first arrived in Europe before the dawn of recorded history and so it wasn't one concerted act of colonization, as happened in North America. So, Europe was from the start, a higgledy-piggledy patchwork of different peoples and cultures. That is one of the things that makes Europe such a beautiful and interesting place. And, of course, our diversity is our greatest strength.

Shh! Don’t tell!

@Shotha

I understand why North America and Europe are so different and the histories that lead to that, but it still always just surprises me when I see it. I know that America was built on genocide and by tearing down a more organic collection of smaller groups and nations that was more the way Europe or Asia is. I’m not ignorant about that. But I can’t go back and change the past, I can only live in the country that’s here now.

And, to be fair, it’s not like all European nations and peoples get along and live in harmony all the time. If they did, I would not have been born in and be writing this from the US!

Shotha

DM Supporter
@Shotha

I understand why North America and Europe are so different and the histories that lead to that, but it still always just surprises me when I see it. I know that America was built on genocide and by tearing down a more organic collection of smaller groups and nations that was more the way Europe or Asia is. I’m not ignorant about that. But I can’t go back and change the past, I can only live in the country that’s here now.

And, to be fair, it’s not like all European nations and peoples get along and live in harmony all the time. If they did, I would not have been born in and be writing this from the US!
My comments were not intended to be a criticism of America. I was merely pointing out that Europe was colonized very much in a piecemeal way, largely in prehistoric times and this explains why we have so many nations, languages and cultures in such a small space.

Shh! Don’t tell!

My comments were not intended to be a criticism of America. I was merely pointing out that Europe was colonized very much in a piecemeal way, largely in prehistoric times and this explains why we have so many nations, languages and cultures in such a small space.
Sorry, I hope I didn’t come off as confrontational or anything, it wasn’t my intent.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
Fun fact about a lot of the states: as OP user noted the eastern states tend to be smaller than the western states. You’ll also notice they tend to be geographically irregular. That’s because they generally followed terrain features when establishing colony (and later state) lines.
In the western states they just drew arbitrary lines: look at Colorado (my home state, despite actually being from the Los Angeles area originally) and Wyoming. Utah. Etc.

There are exceptions to both, with some straight line borders in the east and some that follow geographic features in the west, but for the most part a look at a U.S. map proves the rule.

Broseph

DM Supporter
As an American living in Europe I too sometimes laugh when German friends complain about how terrible a 3 hour car ride is. In 3 hours I can be in Paris. Likewise when I mention to some American friends (in GA, where there is very limited public transportation) that I ride the train to work, they think I must work really far away. Now my since of distance is becoming totally skewed.

op user

@happily_married thanks for the info and I raise to the fact that some borders in Northern Africa and the Middle East (straight lines actually) are rumored to have been design late at night with the assistance of some liquid produced in Scotland among other places.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
@happily_married thanks for the info and I raise to the fact that some borders in Northern Africa and the Middle East (straight lines actually) are rumored to have been design late at night with the assistance of some liquid produced in Scotland among other places.
it wouldn’t surprise me. The border between Pakistan and Afghanistan was certainly more influenced by Brandy than the actual tribal patterns of life of the people who lived there. That was in the 1800s and we still deal with problems as a result of it!

Shotha

DM Supporter
Fun fact about a lot of the states: as OP user noted the eastern states tend to be smaller than the western states. You’ll also notice they tend to be geographically irregular. That’s because they generally followed terrain features when establishing colony (and later state) lines.
In the western states they just drew arbitrary lines: look at Colorado (my home state, despite actually being from the Los Angeles area originally) and Wyoming. Utah. Etc.

There are exceptions to both, with some straight line borders in the east and some that follow geographic features in the west, but for the most part a look at a U.S. map proves the rule.
I would think that this is due to the eastern states being established before there was any infrastructure such as government and surveyors and so just follow natural features and where different groups of people were actually settled. The western states on the other hand would have had their boundaries drawn when there was more of an infrastructure and so there borders would have been drawn by politicians, surveyors and cartographers and so in many instances would have follow lines of latitude or longitude. Straight line borders (including other borders around the world) would appear to be ones, which have been agreed in comparatively modern history. What an illuminating discussion.

Shh! Don’t tell!

I would think that this is due to the eastern states being established before there was any infrastructure such as government and surveyors and so just follow natural features and where different groups of people were actually settled. The western states on the other hand would have had their boundaries drawn when there was more of an infrastructure and so there borders would have been drawn by politicians, surveyors and cartographers and so in many instances would have follow lines of latitude or longitude. Straight line borders (including other borders around the world) would appear to be ones, which have been agreed in comparatively modern history. What an illuminating discussion.
if I recall correctly, much of the middle of the country was purchased in bulk from France.

Latest posts

Group builder