Caronavirus

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
if I recall correctly, much of the middle of the country was purchased in bulk from France.
I think it is called the Louisiana Purchase because Napeoleon the Great needed the cash.
yes, it was purchased in 1803, and shortly after the Lewis and Clark expedition to explore what we’d just bought was launched.

The last state in the L48 was Arizona in 1912. We added Alaska and Hawaii in 1959.

we’re about 3.6 million square miles (4th after Russia, Canada, China) in land area, and 330 million people, 3rd after China and India.

😐

I, uh...looked all that up just now. You know...quarantine boredom.

🤓

Shotha

DM Supporter
"Louisiana was named after Louis XIV, King of France from 1643 to 1715. When René-Robert Caelier, Sieur de la Salle claimed the territory drained by the Mississippi River for France, he named it La Louisiane." (Wikipedia)

"Once part of the French Colonial Empire, the Louisiana Territory stretched from present-day Mobile Bay to just north of the present-day Canada–United States border, including a small part of what is now the Canadian provinces of Alberta and Saskatchewan." (Wikipedia)

op user

And definitely we don't want to know how the Louisiana's State Capital Buttons Rouges name was adopted.

@happily_married, we are not well prepared for the thread: we didn't mention the Alaska purchase

Shh! Don’t tell!

What do you guys think about the meat shortage? I’m not bothered by it, since I’ve actually been a vegetarian for many years, but I know some people will be affected by it and it makes me worry about potential shortages of other goods. I know that in some places outside the US that’s already a problem from Covid.

Also, I know this is really twisted, but watching someone eat meat is especially sexy to me because it’s taboo for me and I have a moral objection to it. I know it’s really sick that I feel like that, let’s not think about it too hard.

Shotha

DM Supporter
We're getting localized meat shortages in New Zealand. It doesn't bother me, because my interests mean that normally I eat vegetarian a couple of times a week. When meat-eaters are deprived of meat, they feel unsatisfied with food and lack protein, because often they don't know other sources of protein. Eggs, cheese and other dairy foods, fish, beans, nuts, seeds, whole grains, fruits are all good sources of protein, which can be used during meat shortages.

Tad

mostly harmless
It is still hit-and-miss for finding flour in stores here. It is warm enough for us to bike to do groceries, so last time there was any in my wife was only able to pick up a small bag each of whole wheat and white (all she had space to transport), and the store has been out the two times since. Are people really baking that much more? (my wife is off work, and has been baking more, for which I'm very thankful and my clothes are not. So I'd like her not to run out of flour!)

We've learned to take our walks and bike rides either early in the morning before things warm up, or in less-popular streets. Otherwise the game of 'how do I avoid all these other people' gets just silly. I'll be so happy when we can enjoy our local 'high street' again!

wrenchboy

What do you guys think about the meat shortage? I’m not bothered by it, since I’ve actually been a vegetarian for many years, but I know some people will be affected by it and it makes me worry about potential shortages of other goods. I know that in some places outside the US that’s already a problem from Covid.

Also, I know this is really twisted, but watching someone eat meat is especially sexy to me because it’s taboo for me and I have a moral objection to it. I know it’s really sick that I feel like that, let’s not think about it too hard.
I drive a refrigerated/frozen tractor trailer. Most of my outgoing loads are chicken. And most of the loads coming back is produce. I have definitely noticed a decline in availability of loads. Mostly due to the increased availability of drivers that normally haul flatbed or specialty.
As money becomes more scarce and budgets get tighter people buy less meat.

Tracyarts

We're definitely noticing shortages where I live. And have from the start of this.

I get our groceries delivered every 2 weeks via Instacart from Kroger, and for the entire month of March we couldn't get fresh chicken or eggs. And until late March, everything was in short supply, especially meat, dairy, bread, and pantry items. And now they are limiting meat to two items per purchase, as long as they're in stock. Supplies of other products are hit and miss. We got most of our last two grocery orders, but some key things were out of stock. Flour, canned soup, rice, and whole wheat sandwich buns.

Over the past couple of months we've received some strange substitutions from Instacart, but made do with them.

We don't eat much meat anymore so the meat shortage and buying limit is not a huge hardship, because one family pack (5 pounds) of chicken breasts and one family pack (3 pounds) of lean ground beef is lasting us 2 weeks with a bit left over to build a little stockpile in the freezer. But big families who eat a lot of meat? They're struggling. And having to make more frequent trips to more stores in order to stay supplied. Which only increases their crowd exposure. Not good...

Fresh produce has been very plentiful here, but not so much in other areas I've heard. I have only missed a few produce items in my orders. We get 90% of our produce every order.

Seems like there are shortages of something in most places.

op user

@Shh! Don’t tell! You have my sympathy... It is one of the worst feelings. I hope similar options materialize soon.

@Tracyarts, I was unable to find the specific meat my father ordered once during a physical visit at the store. Some quantity was delivered next day. That was a week or two ago. Ever since anything food we want is there. What we are unable to find are the decontamination wipes for the kitchen and the bathroom... Even chlorine grade detergent is easily obtainable.

One final note mainly Americans would understand: twice one solid and one liquid soaps where completely unavailable mainly because they were on promotion...

Funtastic curves

@op user I have finally been able to find liquid soap this week. The stores in my area seem to be stocking our shelves with a decent amount now. Along with hand sanitizer and alcohol.

Meat seem to be hit or miss. I have noticed the early morning visits are the best chances of getting meat or any thing else.

op user

@op user I have finally been able to find liquid soap this week. The stores in my area seem to be stocking our shelves with a decent amount now. Along with hand sanitizer and alcohol.

Meat seem to be hit or miss. I have noticed the early morning visits are the best chances of getting meat or any thing else.
I was able to get liquid shop - the issue was yesterday morning that a specific brand offering BOGOF (buy one get one free) was sold out. The brand was offering a larger size without a promotion and it was available.

Funny thing is this promotion was only on my local food-store I visited another one no such promotion was running. However some shaving foam was at an excellent price in the second store I visited and it bought two cans

Funtastic curves

Oh i see @op user

Yeah I haven't seen that advertised here. Most our stores still have a 1 per on certain items like soap, sanitizer, and disinfecte.

op user

I might as well put it here

An excellent article on BBC about the last normal picture.

@Funtastic curves the limitations we have are on hand sanitisers (two per visit) and liquid disinfect (again two per visit). I used to buy a packet of hand-sanitising tissues but I stopped I think I have about 6 or 7 packets. I still can't see why include a promotion at a products that sells well.

Group builder