Quantcast

Cars for SSBBW

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Malibu, Malibu, Malibu! :) I'm 485 and 5'3", and I bought a Chevy Malibu back in January. LOTS of room - it was the only thing I've driven in a long time where the wheel didn't press into my belly.

Rowan

wickedly delicious
As anyone who has seen my pics on here knows, im fairly large and definitely considered a ssbbw. I bought a Kia Rondo in February and I love it. It has plenty of room between my belly and the steering wheel and the seat belt fits with plenty of room to spare. It's a nice roomy car and has good gas mileage (29 mpg) on top of it. :)

luvhips

As an ex Ford dealer who sold both new and used ford cars and trucks as well as most used makes and models it's a tough call. Since i've sold cars to many supersized people it all depends how you are built. If its hip room you need be very careful of vehicles with center consoles. If you have a protruding rear or large bust make shure you have enough seat travel and are able to reach the pedals. My suggestion would be to go to the rental company or car dealerships at an off hour and see what vehicle you feel most comfortable in. I had a fat friendly dealership. I would meet with customers if they were to embarrassed to try cars for size either before the showroom opened or after it closed.
RE: seat belts in some cars have shorter belts, but the good news is most car companies offer seat belt extenders. The only time i did not feel good about selling a car was to a very ssbbw who only wanted a mustang. She had her bust and stomach touching the wheel and had to struggle to turn it. If you physically don't want to try cars on for size go online and look uo interior dimensions. Its not perfict like buying items from a catalog but it should give you a pretty good idea. Have a good trip.

aheartofstars

I did some test driving last year before I bought my Hyundai Elantra so I've been in a few of these cars....

Ford: Focus, Escape, Fusion <--- the only one I can comment on here is the Focus.... standard compact car size.

Hyundai: Accent <--- which Accents are sub-compacts, I think, you'd be surprised at the room inside. As a size 24-26 bottom, I think this car would be uncomfortable for me for a long drive.

Pontiac: G6, Vibe <--- not sure if it was a G5 or G6 I tried, but basically the exact same as a Cobalt. I wasn't crazy about the Vibe, but I know some supersize friends who had one for years and loved it.

Nissan: Versa <--- never tried this personally, but I think it aligns with other compacts.

Chevrolet: Aveo, Cobalt, Malibu, Impala, Monte Carlo <--- you'll probably find the Aveo too small. I drove a Cobalt before I bought my Elantra and it was a nice car. Not a lot of hip room, but equivalent to what I have now. The other cars might give you more room, but again you'd miss out on the gas mileage.

Mazda: 6 <--- Shame it's not a Mazda 5 which is the wagon. I rented one of those once (supposed to get a Cobalt but they were all out) and I LOVED it! Still think that's what I should've bought.

Kia: Rio <--- sub-compact similar to the Aveo and Accent. Having had poor experience with a Sportage in the past, I'd never in good conscience recommend a Kia to anyone.
Thanks a lot for your advice.

aheartofstars

Malibu, Malibu, Malibu! :) I'm 485 and 5'3", and I bought a Chevy Malibu back in January. LOTS of room - it was the only thing I've driven in a long time where the wheel didn't press into my belly.
Awesome! thank you for responding. Can you buckle the seat belt okay?

aheartofstars

I am personally over 300 and my husband has a Versa. I hate driving the thing cuz I feel squished so I could imagine someone bigger than I would have even more of an issue. The leg room is great but I don't need leg room ( Im 5'4"), I need BUTT room and it does not seem to have enough.
IMHO :)
Thanks. It has been my experience that a lot of the Asian cars are built small, but as a culture they are smaller in size than the US, so I suppose that makes sense.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Hmm, I use an extender, but I CAN buckle the seatbelt if I have to. It's just uncomfortably tight. Unfortunately, we're all built so differently that there's no way to tell if it's going to fit you in advance or not. Hey - just had an idea - why don't you go into the rental car place the day before you rent the car and just tell them you're renting soon and want to look at different cars to see how they'll work for you?

aheartofstars

Hmm, I use an extender, but I CAN buckle the seatbelt if I have to. It's just uncomfortably tight. Unfortunately, we're all built so differently that there's no way to tell if it's going to fit you in advance or not. Hey - just had an idea - why don't you go into the rental car place the day before you rent the car and just tell them you're renting soon and want to look at different cars to see how they'll work for you?
Ultimately, I will go and try it out, but I wanted to have a working knowledge beforehand. I didn't want to try to get into a super small car and embarrass myself. Also, different rental places have different cars. I want to go to the rental place that has a selection that I will be okay with. At least this way, I can try out cars that I have a good idea will fit me.

Zandoz

Highly irregular
The only one of those that I've actually tried is the Vibe....back when they first came out. I was probably around 460-470 then, and when I got in I knew instantly I was in trouble. I was jammed behind the steering wheel so badly I needed help getting out.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Yeah, I should have mentioned - the G6 did NOT work for me at all - I rented one to drive to DC, and it was horrible. The seatbelt definitely did not fit. However, I seem to remember another SS person saying she loved it - so, YMMV, of course.

Good luck, aheartofstars. This can be REALLY stressful.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
i'm 5'11 and around 400lbs (not sure what it is since baby was born.. a lot less is suspect) but we just got ourselves a Chevy Malibu and it's quite roomy. I could fit easily behind the wheel without my belly touching it (unlike my taurus which i had to recline my chair a little) and i dont even put it back all the way to drive it. We can fit two car seats and a fat adult in the back too. It's a squeeze but still doable.

canadianbbw4u

I recently went on a roadtrip myself and had the same concern. Im 5'10 410lbs. I rent "mid size" but the place I rent usually runs outta them so I get a free upgrade to a full size! I was placed in a Impala last time. It had tons of room and I had no problem doing up the belt. My Aunt just bought a Cobolt, I only rode in it I didnt get a chance to drive it but there was lots of room it aswell. Im renting again next week and I hope I get the same car!!!

My gran just bought an 08 Ford Edge. I cant do up the belt in the front seat but I can in the back.... Strange!!

shinyapple

crunchy in milk
I'm just under 5'4" and weigh about 517. I've done a lot of rentals over the last couple of years as I travel, so here is my opinion on your best options:

Pontiac G6 - This is going to depend on the size of your belly/apron. I was comfortable getting in and out once I adjusted the seat to my liking. It was a really sporty car too, which appealed greatly.

Pontiac Vibe - I just test drove one of these a few weeks ago. I've loved the design and it was a decent fit. They also get killer gas milage, so if fuel costs are a factor, this might be a good option.

Chevy Malibu/Impala - Both these cars were plenty roomy for me. I preferred the Malibu just because the Impala seemed wastefully large to me from the inside for only one person.

I will say this: I recently rented a car while mine was in the shop and had to go with what they had on hand since it was the weekend and a last minute need. I drove a Dodge Caliber for two weeks and hated it. I fit behind the wheel fine, but maneuvering in and out of the car itself was hell. The door seemed oddly shaped or the seat was in a strange place or something, but I always felt awkward and silly hauling myself behind the wheel.

We seem to be a similar size, so I hope this helps :) Enjoy your vacation!

BeautifulPoeticDisaster

It is definitely all about shape. I am only 30lbs heavier than you and I could not even get in the door. I think cos I am so big in the belly that when I go to sit down I double in size...whereas if I had hips and an ass I might fit more places. I did try a Malibu cos I remembered them being big, but alas a small as 2 door Chevy Cobalt works much much better....not only did I get in the door but I can drive it without my belly on the wheel!

white_shinobi

I am trying to go on a road trip next week. We would like to rent a car, but I am worried about getting a car that I don't fit in. I have the choices of a Hyundai Accent, Ford Focus, Pontiac G6, Ford Escape, Ford Fusion, Chevy Aveo, Nissan Versa, Kia Rio, Chevy Cobalt, Mazda 6, Chevy Malibu, Chevy Impala, Pontiac Vibe, or Chevy Monte Carlo. I weigh about 466 at a height of 5'6" and I am a size 34. I own a Ford Taurus, and I am able to fit and buckle up without any issue. I know I can call and try them out, but I would like some feedback first. I'm a bit embarassed about calling and saying I'm too fat to fit in most cars. Thanks!
I would say the impala. I own one it is roomy and if you have problems fitting the armrest in the middle usually folds up.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
I own a Taurus, but I can not take it on the road trip. I need to rent a car and I am only able to choose from the following:

Ford: Focus, Escape, Fusion

The Ford Escape very closely resembles the Ford Explorer in design if I remember correctly. My wife is taller than you but was at one time close to your weight. She fit fairly well into that vehicle.

Also, don't be embarrassed to tell the rental car people that you need a larger car that you can fit into. That is something they often address in selecting a car for someone, we've found them to be very professional about it in our experiences.

JMNYC

I've pounded the daylights out of all the cars on your list.

Get the Escape, and try to get the hybrid if they've got one.

Volt01

VOLKSWAGEN DRIVING SHORTSTACK LOVING BADASS
i personally use a big ford econoline van, and it works well for my plus size friend. i had it customized. its really great if you have the money for gas.