Cat fleas :(

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by Emma, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Aug 8, 2007 #1

Emma

Emma

Emma

Argh :( My cat has fleas, I've treated him but they still seem to be living in the carpet, jumping on me and making a tasty meal out of my ankles. I feel like they're crawling all over me. It makes me feel sick. Is there anything I can rub on myself to make them not want to bite me?

P.s My house isn't gross, it's just boiling here and they're from the damned cat :(

2. Aug 8, 2007 #2

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

You got cooties, honey!:D No wait it's Morgellon's Syndrome where tiny American flags grow out of your hair-holes.:eek:

3. Aug 9, 2007 #3

PamelaLois

PamelaLois

PamelaLois

ILL-INI

I'm a dog and cat groomer, I deal with this every day.

OK, before you freak out any more, it will be OK. Let me ask you a few questions first, then I can give you more information about how to get rid of the fleas.

Do you have any other pets?
    Does your cat go outside?
    When you say you treated the cat, what, specifically did you use?
    Did you treat the house and what did you use?

4. Aug 9, 2007 #4

Aliena

Aliena

Aliena

When I lived in Mississippi ( a very hot and humid state in the USA) my WubbyTubby got a bad case of the fleas. DH's house was infested with them fuckers and they seemed to relish my ankles in particular. :rolleyes:

I took WT to the vet and had her treated with Advatage.

I then went to Wal Mart (your local home supply store should do) and bought some foggers to help with the house infestation. I bought enough to treat the house every other day for 10 days.

I cleaned up bedding and pets bedding too; very important!

My flea problem was gone after that. Those insects are one of the most difficult to get rid of. Good luck to you Em!

p_2459_FS35006D.jpg

5. Aug 9, 2007 #5

Lastminute.Tom

Lastminute.Tom

Lastminute.Tom

Write on!

I thought you only kept house cats, well I'm suffering the same predicament at the moment I counted no less than 37 bites up my lower right leg, its ridiculous, I'm sleeping in the study at the moment while the powder kills the ones on the carpet upstairs

6. Aug 9, 2007 #6

Emma

Emma

Emma

Hey thanks :)

I've no other pets
    The cat does go into the back yard supervised
    I used this little packet stuff thats like a liquid that you put on the back of the neck but I'm not sure of the name (I got it from the vets)
    I used some house flea spray (I think the name was johnsons) we put it everywhere yesterday but I'm still being bitten.

7. Aug 9, 2007 #7

Emma

Emma

Emma

I don't live at home anymore so it's a different cat. My cat is mostly a house cat but we've been letting him in the backyard supervised because of the nice weather because once he got out while we were sat there and had such a good time chasing the flies that we thought it was a bit too mean to keep him in while we're not there.

It's horrible isn't it? Makes me feel physically sick. I even sprayed the house flea spray on my legs so the fleas wouldn't get me. Argh. My skin is crawling.

8. Aug 9, 2007 #8

Emma

Emma

Emma

Whats foggers?

We used something similer to those little things on the back of the cats neck. He doesn't seem to be troubled with them now.. It's just me! lol

9. Aug 9, 2007 #9

Aliena

Aliena

Aliena

These are foggers. You place them in various parts of your house and set them off. It takes them about 20 minutes to empty out, creating a mist of pesticide that kills your fleas. You have to leave the home and take your pet with you since they can harm both you and your pet, but after a few treatments, they really do work. (at least in my experience)

Good luck!

10. Aug 9, 2007 #10

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Hi Em...

When we lived in Colorado the state is at such a high altitude that our dogs never had fleas. It was quite nice. But when we move to California our dogs got a horrible case of the fleas and I had to learn how to deal when them quickly.

It is important to treat the animal monthly (just like you did) with a product like Advantage, that you put on the animal's neck. Second is to treat the carpet. The best thing I ever used was "Boric Acid". It is a powder that came in a large jug (like a plastic milk container), that you shake all over the carpet. (It's white and looks like a carpet freshner sprinkle.). You leave it set over night, and vacuum up the next day, and fleas are instantly gone. The Boric Acid smothers the fleas and they die overnight, so when you vaccum them up, that's it. Then just stay on top of treating the animal monthly and you should have no problems.

Just ask your local pet store for Boric Acid powder to treat your carpet for fleas.

11. Aug 10, 2007 #11

PamelaLois

PamelaLois

PamelaLois

ILL-INI

Fleas are absolutely horrible and very difficult to get rid of. If you used Frontline on the cat, that is good, but if you used any other brand, next month, get Frontline. It is the only one that really works. Advantix is OK too, but Frontline is the best.

The reason you are still seeing fleas is that the flea treatments used in the hosue only kill the live adult fleas and larvae, they DO NOT kill the eggs or the cocoons. So, even though the adults are killed one day, the eggs and cocoons are hatching almost immediately after the treatment. It takes 3 or 4 treatments at 2 week intervals to kill all the fleas. The two week intervals are critical, because the flea life cycle changes every two weeks, from egg to larva to coccoon to adult. And since the insecticide only kills the adult and larva, you have to treat every two weeks.

You won't have to treat the cat again til next month if you used Frontline, and don't be all freaked out if you still see fleas on her. The Fronline will kill them within an hour of when they touch the cat. She won't bring in any new ones, but it will take a month or more to get rid of the ones in the house.

Make sure you are using not only carpet spray, but also foggers in the house. It is important that you use the carpet spray UNDER things, like beds, dressers, etc. Then set the fogger off in the middle of the room. The fog goes straight up in the air and falls straight down, it doesn't go UNDER things. The other thing to do is vacuum vacuum vacuum til you think your arms are going to fall off. The more of the eggs and cocoons you can suck up and get rid of, the fewer adults and larvae you will have to kill in 2 weeks.

Make sure also that you are washing any clothing or soft toys or anything that may touch the floor and get contaminated with fleas. If you can, bag anything after it's washed, and don't unbag it til after the fleas are gone, then you don't have to treat or wash that stuff again.

I know this is a long post, and if you have any questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me, I will be happy to answer them. I help people with this issue every single day, and this year has been brutal for fleas with all the moisture and heat.

12. Aug 10, 2007 #12

PrettyKitty

PrettyKitty

PrettyKitty

Dorkus Maximus

I use Advantage flea treatments and vacuum the areas daily where my cats tend to roam and sleep. Nothing like a Dyson.
    But yeah, like everyone is suggesting, you really need to treat your carpet. The eggs are still hatching in there. Try BioSpot carpet powder.

Good luck!

13. Aug 11, 2007 #13

Scrumptious_voluptuous

Scrumptious_voluptuous

Scrumptious_voluptuous

It must be Gin O'clock!

To prevent bites on your own legs, use normal midgey repellant spray.

Most of them are good for 'All biting insects'. Which includes our little friends! Whack it on your legs as thats most likely where they'll strike.

Wear white, or light colours so you can see them jumping on you - and preferably pick them off with a bit of selotape as they're impossible to catch with fingers.

If you can stand the fashion faux-pas, tuck your trousers inside your socks to stop them eating your ankles anymore.

Camomile cream is good to stop the itching.

Along with flea spray, possibly invest in one of these - http://www.ppcsupplies.co.uk/STV004, Harmless to pets, great for catching the buggers, and good to monitor how bad the infestation is. (The bulbs are delicate as fuck though, so push it under the sofa or bed - somewhere where you wont knock it with feet or hoovers.)

14. Aug 11, 2007 #14

William

William

William

Hi C-Em

Here is a website that may help

http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Extension/DiagnosticLab/IDLFS/Fleas/Fleas.html

They mention keeping the grass and bushes/seeds cut low in the back yard.

William

15. Aug 11, 2007 #15

sunnie1653

sunnie1653

sunnie1653

Happiest. Mommy. Ever. :)

I'm totally going to second Sandie on this. :)

I was suggested to smother my carpet in Boric Acid powder by my vet to get rid of the fleas in the carpet (My cats got them for the first time this year!) He told me to sprinkle it over every bit of carpeting I have and wait a day (cats can't go near the carpet this day) and vacuum it three times, and you should literally see two things in your canister when you're done, fleas, and boric acid powder. He also suggested that you empty the canister if you have a bagless, the whole bag if you have a bag, and the filter if you can get to it, outside, just in case you sucked up a few live ones.

I used the advantage on my cats. Except they accidentally gave me two 5-8 lb doses instead of 1 5-8 and 1 8-12. So my chunky cat didn't get quite enough medication, and I can't double up on it. So I have to wait until she's had it on her at least 3 weeks then I can put it on again.

They don't bite me, though. I've seen one jump on me after I've had the cat near me but for the most part I've never had one bite me, so I'm sorry your poor ankles are going through hell. :(

*hugs* I hope you get this fixed, they're not only a major pain in the ... ankles, but your kitty is probably a little pissed off, too. :(

16. Aug 14, 2018 #16

EmmyD

EmmyD

EmmyD

Chemical flea repellents might be dangerous for human. I'd rather use some natural remedies to avoid flea infestation. Those insects can't stand the scent of peppermint, basil, wormwood, tansy, garlic, pinewood sawdust. Herbal and citrus sprays are repelling fleas as well. Here are some hacks on how to get rid of them. Citronella oil is good for moving fleas from a human body.

17. Aug 28, 2018 #17

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

^Can I just say...?

I really like it how you just sort of jumped right into this, more than a decade later. After the last post.

I'm really into that, stuff like that. I hope that's not too weird for you, TMI, etc...but that's my thing, my bag, as it were.

18. Aug 28, 2018 #18

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I am not sure how to take your post. It has been happening more and more since the forums are no so busy that older threads do get brought to the surface. From your post I’m not sure if you have an issue, we’re having a little fun, or possibly were seeking the assistance of a moderator. Please let me know.

19. Aug 28, 2018 #19

Yakatori

Yakatori

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...

No, I meant it exactly just like how I said it: This is what I'm into, that's my bag.

20. Aug 29, 2018 #20

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Still not clicking for me. Just wanted to let you know that the pulling up old posts is happening. Also wanted our newer members to know we understand how it happens.