Celebrities in fatsuits

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by DazzlingAnna, Dec 10, 2019.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine by donating:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1. Dec 10, 2019 #1

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

Hi everyone,

maybe you can help me to figure out my opinion on this celebrities in a fatsuit topic.
    I usually don't like these "put a slim person into a fatsuit and show the world how awful this life must be"-shows. And it is even worse when it is a celebrity in it.
    I am not offended by that, I just don't like it.
    I am pretty clear on my opinion up to this point.

Some months ago my favourite music group has released a new song and video, lead singers both slim, wearing fatsuits... but here I kind of like it.

What is different now?
    It looks quite realistic maybe (?)
    I like the music & other songs they,'ve published.
    In their other video clips is always shown a wide range of different body types in a very respectful way.

Have a look on the video mentioned above...

(For lyrics and translation if required ask the www...)

What is your opinion on fatsuits in general, celebrities wearing them, and maybe on this video?

Would be glad to hear you opinions...

Tad and Aqw like this.
  2. Dec 11, 2019 #2

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

I was very impressed by the fat suit and make up John C. Reilly wore in his portrayal of Oliver Hardy in ‘Stan and Ollie’. It looked realistic and showed Hardy when he was younger and not as heavy up to his later years when he was much heavier.

Reilly gave a wonderful and sympathetic performance as Oliver Hardy. The movie should have won an Oscar and Reilly in particular for his portrayal. A movie well worth checking out.

[​IMG]

3. Dec 11, 2019 #3

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

First of all it is a great sounding song, which has to help create a positive impression?

But to me they were not being all "oh it is so horrible to be fat" and not much of "ha-ha what a fatty". Mostly it seemed a stereotype of success and excess, with the fat implying they have been enjoying a lot of good food and alcohol without caring what anyone else thinks. It is not entirely a nice image, but it is not giving false pity to fat people, in a way it even looks up to fat as a sign of success (if success without good taste).

It also looked like they were having a lot of fun!

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  4. Dec 11, 2019 #4

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

@Tad
    thanks for your reply.

you are right with the stereotype of success and kind of decadence in behaviour and it is not not the "ha-ha what a fatty" - thing.

But I don't see why they had to make up this fat image.
    Success - as promoted in this world - mostly goes with slim, fit, healthy,... people.

I am still not sure what's my opinion on it.

snd yes, it is good music

And seeing Mr. Dellé getting out of this car is just hilarious. Could have been me :cool: if I ever would have made into that car ...

5. Dec 11, 2019 #5

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

LarryTheNoodleGuy

What always strikes me is how much fun some of the people have when wearing the suit, despite some women's reporting of being ignored or treated harshly or such. Put it this way - I don't know a single skinny person, male or female, who hasn't stood in front of a mirror and pushed their stomach allll the way out, and imagined what it must be like to have a belly that big. It's a chance for slim people to walk around large and in charge, although of course a 150-pound fat suit doesn't WEIGH 150 pounds so it's not realistic a'tall.

In today's landscape, I really have no opinion of people wearing fat suits. You go after that and you can go after 1,000 things, and go after, and go after. Eventually it's just one big bowl of crazy, us, I mean.

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  6. Dec 16, 2019 #6

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

Thanks for you replies!

I'd like to give another example.
    Maybe less "smooth" than in the music video.
    (I only have these German examples - maybe you have others....)

A few months ago a women's magazine that claims to deal with women's topics - except diets and work-out plans - had chosen body / fat - acceptance on their agenda.

On the magazines cover it is always shown the same women, the one who initiated this magazine an gave her name for it. She is also a quite known as a TV presenter and talk show host. She is a bit "bigger than average", but lost some weight recently.

There was a bit of a controversy about the fact that on the body acceptance-story she was shown on the cover wearing a fat suit.

In addition there was a video published showing her in this fatsuit, eating from a big bowl and saying something like: "Not that I have anything against big/fat people, I myself am one of them..."

20191216_013432.jpg

For me it feels wrong to deal with that topic in this way. And I definitely don't feel represented by this.

First of all - she says she is big/fat. Well, more than average maybe. Fat would mean something else - at least for me.

If they want to say a big womans' body is beautiful - then: go ahead and show a real big beautiful woman on that cover.

I addition with the video showing her eating I more and more believe that it was just a PR-stunt to promote this magazine.

Or I just don't get it...

How does this cover help any women to accept her big body that can't be taken off like this suit.

Any ideas or opinions?

loopytheone and Aqw like this.
  7. Dec 16, 2019 #7

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Iannathedriveress

Random Heroine

As a transwoman, I always imagined that in order for me to be a woman I would end up wearing a fat suit and heavy prosthetic makeup. I got this idea from watching movies like "Shallow Hal," "Big Momma's House," and "Mrs. Doubtfire." Then I discovered things like hormone replacement therapy and gender reassignment surgery. My opinion about fat suits is quite complex today. I understand how it can be harmful to plus size people but for me before discovering proper options on being a woman the idea of wearing a fat suit still has a powerful meaning to me.

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  8. Dec 16, 2019 #8

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

Skinny people do that?
    well I tried for many, many years the other way round... No chance to hide a big ass and belly... :D

As long as those people are having fun wearing it they can do whatever they want.

I just don't like it that much - my own experience shows that having fun could easily get to making fun of those big/fat people who can't change their body like change the suit.

9. Dec 16, 2019 #9

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

Interesting - I never thought about it this way.

Iannathedriveress likes this.
  10. Dec 16, 2019 #10

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

For me it would depend on the situation. I don't mind them in movies. I don't really like to see comedians dress up in them and poke fun like SNL and such. It's not very funny to me.

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  11. Dec 18, 2019 #11

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I don't mind fat suits in movies. When it comes down to making fun of fat suits to make fun of fat people, then I don't like it. I'm happy enough with and proud enough of my body to be able to take these pathetic attempts at humour but many people are still vulnerable. Many people use fat suits, whether bought or improvised (padding), because they think that fat is beautiful and want to be fatter themselves. However, it needs to be done in a way that does not hurt other people's feelings.

The idea of someone wearing a fat suit and eating to draw attention to weight-related issues somewhat disgusts me. It strongly implies that fat people are responsible for their own plight. There is no denying that how many calories we consume has an effect on how fat we are. However, this in no way excuses the blame that other people put on us for being the way we are. Some of us have slower rates of metabolism than others and put on weight more easily. This is just part of our natural diversity. Some of us have bigger appetites than others. This again is part of our natural diversity and people should not have to feel ashamed of how big or small their appetites are.

The situation is complicated even more by the fact that many people deliberately gain weight. Most people are familiar with sportspeople "bulking up", in order to fit into a desired weight category. What few people outside of specialized forums such as this do not realize is that many of us gain weight, because we like being fat, because we think that it's beautiful.

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  12. Dec 20, 2019 #12

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

In my younger years, whenever a slim woman was promoted as beautiful, successful, happy... , in media or in real life, I thought, how great it would be if I could take of my big body like a suit and I will become beautiful, successful, happy as well.

I thought this beautiful person is in me, covered in fat, no one can see it.

As I said this was many years ago.
    And these are my personal experiences. I know that there is a wide range of opinions.

I never was on a serious diet to find out if I would be happier as a slim person. I had some doubts about it - because most people, even the slim ones, had their own struggles in life as well.

The idea of a beautiful slim person being in me - sometimes when I see a slim beautiful women it is still in my mind. If I only could just take off my personal fat suit.... (that was my in my head for 30 years - it flashes back once in a while...)

Today I understand more that being fat can be seen as beautiful as well.
    I am not yet at the point that I could say I completely love the way I look. Parts of my body I love, some are accepted, some are tolerated only.

loopytheone, Tad and Aqw like this.
  13. Dec 20, 2019 #13

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

TwoSwords

I don't usually care for it when they do fake fat suits on TV to show how different it is, but that's mainly because I find those segments kind of depressing. Normally, I think the use of fat suits is no problem. Someone plans to dress beautifully, and increase the total beauty content of the world? Yes, please. That's fine with me.

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  14. Dec 21, 2019 #14

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Daniel Everidge as the Fat Man in the movie ‘The Greatest Showman’ where he sings and dances. He wore a fat suit to make him look bigger, and in the movie Barnum played by Hugh Jackman pads him up to look even fatter.
    [​IMG]

Shotha and DazzlingAnna like this.
  15. Dec 22, 2019 #15

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

This is off topic ...
    I recently read an interview with her. I am pretty sure that all she is doing might be done with good purpose. But for me she is not representing what she claims - body diversity.
    This interview opened with "Barbara. the big woman known from TV"
    20191223_000108.jpg
    Is she big?
    for some people she surely is classified as big. I am fine with that.

For me, as a "real" big women (super size maybe) it feels like a joke, a bad joke btw.
    If I were younger I would be frustrated if I had a shape like her body and being classified by media as big = "not good". I don't need to see only super-size women when it comes to big. A variety of shapes would be nice.

I appreciate what she is trying to do.
    I wish there would be shown real diversity.

Aqw, loopytheone and AmyJo1976 like this.
  16. Dec 24, 2019 #16

SSBHM

SSBHM

SSBHM

I totally agree with you. Barbara is not big - imo she is thin and it is preposterous that she is being called big or plus size.

Aqw likes this.
  17. Dec 24, 2019 #17

SSBHM

SSBHM

SSBHM

He doesn't look very big to me.

18. Dec 24, 2019 #18

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

DazzlingAnna

She is called big by media but she is using this term to describe herself, too. It is not credible nor convincing.

19. Dec 24, 2019 #19

SSBHM

SSBHM

SSBHM

Nope, only star I think is big right now is on TV - This is Us - Chrissy Metz.

Well, Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!

20. Dec 27, 2019 #20

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

She might be describing herself as "big", because that's how she identifies. I know I've always identified as a fat man on the inside, even when I was thin on the outside. Could she be a potential gainer?