Celebrities in fatsuits

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

She might be describing herself as "big", because that's how she identifies. I know I've always identified as a fat man on the inside, even when I was thin on the outside. Could she be a potential gainer?
Maybe she identifies as "big", could be the reason.
I think in media business it is more likely to use this way of polarization to be recognized and stay in business.
And with this fat suit cover the got some attention.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
Nope, only star I think is big right now is on TV - This is Us - Chrissy Metz.

Well, Merry Christmas! Hope you have a wonderful holiday!
The man that plays her husband wore a fat suit for all of the episodes until this last set before the show’s mid season break. He suddenly found CrossFit and is now a big guy with muscles and abs. When I first found out he was wearing a fat suit it irritated me quite a bit. I was certain there were plenty of big men that could play that part. Now with the plot twist of the Cross Fit, I can understand the purpose of the fat suit.

The man that plays her husband wore a fat suit for all of the episodes until this last set before the show’s mid season break. He suddenly found CrossFit and is now a big guy with muscles and abs. When I first found out he was wearing a fat suit it irritated me quite a bit. I was certain there were plenty of big men that could play that part. Now with the plot twist of the Cross Fit, I can understand the purpose of the fat suit.
Stories tend to develop only this way. Not from slim to big - or is that a false impression of mine?

(except pregnancies of course, surprisingly fast after giving birth they are as slim as before pregnancy)

Last edited:

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
I'll have to trust you about that. I don't watch television.
Wait, you mean just generally speaking? Or as a matter of principle?

The fat suit controversy is a bit different from, say, someone wearing black-face or otherwise portraying a character of a different racial or ethnic background. It's not the kind of thing about which we can so readily meaningfully generalize, it actually depends on some more context, how the fat character is actually being portrayed.

Wait, you mean just generally speaking? Or as a matter of principle?
I just don't find much of what is on TV in New Zealand to be very interesting. I watch the 6 O'Clock News on my computer and that's about it. I have a life and I would rather live my life than watch other people living their lives. I don't have anything against TV or the people who watch it. I just find that other things exert a stronger pull on me.

Last edited:

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"...would rather live my life than watch other people living their lives..."
Mhmm...calls to mind what Socrates said about the problem with the poets and playwrights, encouraging a kind of vicarious living.

I have to add something to this thread because I just found this piece while going through YouTube.

Like in my initial post in this thread I am not sure if this is a fat shaming or fat celebrating moment.

What is your opinion?

I had doubts about their dimensions when watching it.

At 1:11 I was pretty sure that this is a fat suit incident...

Inam curious what do you think?

I have to add something to this thread because I just found this piece while going through YouTube.

Like in my initial post in this thread I am not sure if this is a fat shaming or fat celebrating moment.

What is your opinion?

I had doubts about their dimensions when watching it.

At 1:11 I was pretty sure that this is a fat suit incident...

Inam curious what do you think?
It's hard to make the call on things like this. The words of the opening music, "I like it like that", carry the implication that some of us are attracted to fat people. At times it seems to celebrate fat people and then there are "jokes", which seem to be quite fat-shaming.

I see no problem with fat suits per se. The problem lies in the way that they are sometimes used. If a fat suit is needed for a character, I see no problem with it. These days fat suits and inflatable suits are readily on the internet. Most of the people, who buy them are not making fun of fat people. They buy them, because they find fat people attractive and even want to be fat themselves. So, I don't see that as fat shaming. Similarly, people collect videos such as the one that you've post, because the find them beautiful and erotic.

This leaves us in a Catch 22 situation. Do we want to prevent performances like this from happening, because they include "jokes" our expense? Banning fat suits on screen would close one of the channels, through which fat admirers come out into the open and show their love for fat people.

TwoSwords

This leaves us in a Catch 22 situation. Do we want to prevent performances like this from happening, because they include "jokes" our expense? Banning fat suits on screen would close one of the channels, through which fat admirers come out into the open and show their love for fat people.
Even in the realm of jokes, there are multiple different kinds. Some are just plain mean-spirited, while others are all in good fun. The problem is that some people have difficulty discerning which is which, or even figuring out whether a specific thing is meant to be a joke at all.

Now, in the case of this particular dance number, I don't see anything going on in it that real fat people couldn't do in a dance, and there's certainly no atmosphere of negativity to it. I'd probably just sit back and enjoy it, personally. It seems to me like people who would be ashamed of productions like this would be the sorts of people who don't think real fat people should be seen dancing either.

The problem is that some people have difficulty discerning which is which, or even figuring out whether a specific thing is meant to be a joke at all.
I notice the same thing happening in everyday life. I also notice that some people take offense at comments, which are not meant to be hurtful or fat-shaming. Before my retirement, I would frequently overhear people at work pointing me out with comments like, "Go and have a word with the fat guy over there." I don't take offense at purely descriptive comments like that, because being fat is my most noticeable feature. However, other people would feel shame for me: "Hey, Frank, Eddie just called you 'fat'." So, I agree with you. Sometimes, we are too sensitive.

Sometimes, we are too sensitive.
I just picked this sentence because it made me thinking.
Maybe it is true that we are too sensitive, especially about those clips and other things that originally were not meant to harm.
Unfortunately if something is online and comments are allowed on things like that you usually can find some disgusting comments which I try to avoid to read and worry about. But I agree on the possibility of being too negative towards something that should be seen as positive.
When it comes to real life I have a slightly different view on this.
"She is the big /fat woman over there." I am ok with that.
I learned over the years that most comments or actions are meant to harm. And I am sensitive on what people do or say.
If they say loudly and laugh: "look how fat she is" - it is a description of my shape. Everybody can see it and actually I am aware of my shape. I don't need this description. I (now) can deal with those people.
I also can deal with those people looking at me with disgust or admiration.
When people spit in my face because I am fat (yeah, things like that happen) I actually see it as offence and I need to be sensitive. And in real life I need to be sensitive what's happening around me.

For media projects or productions I probably tend to be too sensitive and expect a negative connotation.

In my real life I need to figure out with whom I can get along and whom I should ignore.

Reactions: Aqw
There are different things going on in these situations.

When someone says, "Go and have a word with the fat guy over there," this is purely descriptive.

When someone comments, "Look how fat he is," and laughs, this is mocking and is offensive.

When someone spits in your face, because you're fat, this is physically abusive. I can't say that I've ever experienced that. It might be because I live in a sparsely populated country. It might be because I'm a man. It might be because I look quite ferocious.

I cope quite well with the first two but not with the last of these situations.

@Iannathedriveress thanks for sharing this.

I didn't know this song.
I read about the idea they had when making the song/video. If I understand correctly they are fed up with fame, success and money and everything that comes with fame. They just want to do music again. And the reason why they are fat in the video is symbolic for excess.

Inyerestingly - if you look at the initial post here - this song there is about money and its excesses.
To express excess it is only necessary to get fat - is it that easy?

I am not sure but most likely that's the easiest way to show a transformation to an audience.
Being fat here has a negative connotation, doesn't it?

Dayeme35

abc_gma_tyra2_051104_t.jpghttps---prod.static9.net.au-_-media-Images-The-Fix-2011-10-27-03-28-TyraBanks.jpg

I remember when Tyra did this episode as an alleged expose of what its like to be an obese woman . She went on a few blind dates and was promptly rejected by the guys. She then expressed on her show that dating and the life of a larger person must be so terrible and miserable. I will say in the guys defense that they did not know that their date was going to be a bbq/ssbbw and they did let her know that their preferences were for women of a smaller size. In that case the dates were doomed from the start. Everyone has their preference and in this day and age its hard to not be selective of what you are seeking or looking for on or offline. too many camera phones, video chats, etc available now to be talking to ghosts.lol .I find it ironic though that the moment she gained weight in real life she got mercilessly fat shamed. She didn't care for that too much needless to say.

Latest posts