Changes due to gaining

Discussion in 'Weight Board' started by sarahe543, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Jul 4, 2019 #1

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

I've gained 30lb. From 140 to 170.
    I've noticed that I get out of breath easier and quicker than when I was smaller. If not totally out of breath I'm ending up huffing and puffing when I cycle up hills that used to be easy.
    Is this just what I have to expect now?
    Already noticing that I carry myself differently due to the biggest gains being in my middle.

Cyndi, John Smith and Tad like this.
  2. Jul 4, 2019 #2

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Out of curiosity how tall are you?

John Smith likes this.
  3. Jul 4, 2019 #3

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Just the beginning!

The funny thing is that the changes always feel normal in some ways, to me, while part of my brain notices the difference compared to what was. Like going to pick something up from the floor and bending from the waist with straight legs, because of too much belly in the way for crouching. Or not crossing your legs the same way. Or changing how you position sear belt straps. Or buying wide width shoes. Or having to catch your breath between trying on pairs of lace up shoes. Or changing your gait to minimize thigh chub rub. Or havingto squeeze out more shower gel to wash your full body. Stepping aside to let faster walkers pass you. Not being able to reach quite as far back in a kitchen cupboard shelf because your belly keeps you further back and your side fat gets in the way a bit. And so many more litttle things - - and I'm barely even fat by the standards around here!

I'm sure others havea lot of other experiences.

fat hiker, Frogman and Unbasher like this.
  4. Jul 4, 2019 #4

Unbasher

Unbasher

Unbasher

On vacation July 5-23 :-)

I keep repeating myself: such tales are so hot...

5. Jul 4, 2019 #5

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

I'm 5'6".

John Smith likes this.
  6. Jul 4, 2019 #6

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Sarah, I did forget to mention that some things you adapt to - - if you stay active your legs get stronger and your body knows what to expect as you start stairs, so you won't struggle as much for the same weight. Although constant gaining can make it hard for your body to catch up. And many people get less active as they get bigger as well. (or vice versa, or mutually reinforcing)

Some changes are more gender specific.

I have to keep adjusting my belt as i sit down and stand up. Towards the heaviest end of my range I find thatmy electric razor does not give as close a shave as my face gets softer. Women are not apt to face those. On the other hand I've noticed women changing how they cross their arms as their bust fills out and only the heaviest guys will face that I think.

And I've only touched on the physical. There tends to be social changes too, but mostly those are less fun (like becoming less visible to sales staff in stores)

fat hiker and sarahe543 like this.
  7. Jul 4, 2019 #7

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

I've started to wonder how I'll cope with reactions if I keep getting bigger.

8. Jul 4, 2019 #8

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

There tends to be two aspects to the reactions. The direct reactions and words, and the loss of "thin privilege". The former you can figure out strategies for, the latter is more insidious, as you stop being considered among the fortunate/virtuous who have an approved body. Like any other privilege it is entirely possible to live without it, but it can be quite shaking of ones foundations as it slips away. (and honestly a lot of the more direct comments amount to warnings of the loss of that privilege)

Back on the physical, with respect to biking: I hadto give up my road bike with the drop handlebars and skinny tires. Too many broken spokes and even broken axles, and too much belly to curl up tightly enough to make use of the lower bars. Now I ride a "hybrid" with a more upright seating position, and thicker, softer, tires. And between fitness, fatness, and age I get passed a lot more than I used to.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    fat hiker and John Smith like this.
  9. Jul 4, 2019 #9

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

That’s nice height, but 30 pounds is definitely going to make a difference. You may find your stamina is less because you’re moving more weight than you used to. One way to adjust is give yourself time to adjust and then go on a gaining spree again so you’re gradually getting used to it instead of doing it all at once.

Seems like reactions may be part of the fun. But I’ve never been a gainer and my wife when she was gaining never wanted to so the reactions always just pissed her off.

Are you enjoying gaining? If so that’s all that matters. You’re not hurting anyone so if someone else doesn’t like it why does their reaction need to matter?

fat hiker, John Smith and sarahe543 like this.
  10. Jul 5, 2019 #10

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Moving Forward

172 is my all time skinniest adult weight- and I couldn't hold onto that number long....many moons ago. It was amazing the stuff I could wear/fit into back then because I'm only 5'4" myself. WHERE you gain it plays a big part on how you feel it, IMO, I was a VERY fit 172 from constant exercising (and dieting) so that probably made a difference, too, in how it was carried.
    If you spend most of your life bigger, then you get used to being bigger. I gained about 25 lbs recently and dang if I don't feel it. It's all right out the front of me and it SUCKS. Hurts my legs and back so I'm easing back into walking again to get stronger/rid of too much excess in the wrong place.
    I feel your pain but there are a lot of people comfortable at bigger sizes so it's probably a matter of getting used to it.

11. Jul 6, 2019 #11

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Moderator note- moved to Weight Board, better fit to replies and interaction.

loopytheone likes this.
  12. Jul 7, 2019 #12

Shotha

Shotha

Shotha

I need to buy a seat belt extension. Yipppeee!!!

sarahe543 likes this.
  13. Jul 7, 2019 #13

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

Somehow I LOST 7lb this week. I cant quite believe it.
    What the ****!

HUGEisElegant likes this.
  14. Jul 7, 2019 #14

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Cooking Queen

Hormonal changes can do that in women sometimes. The hormones have mysterious ways.

15. Jul 7, 2019 #15

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Sidhuriel

Cooking Queen

I have gained some weight since I started eating intuitively six months ago, I finally ditched diet culture for good.
    It's been challenging at times but so worth it, I just eat what I like to satiation now and most of the time without guilt. The difference in weight is also neglible for the most part, the only thing that annoys me about it is that some of my clothes fit a little less comfortably than before.
    But I would not want to exchange that for my attained peace of mind.

16. Jul 7, 2019 #16

sarahe543

sarahe543

sarahe543

I just noticed its harder to bend over. The belly has started to get in the way.

John Smith and HUGEisElegant like this.
  17. Jul 7, 2019 #17

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

What you said is beautiful. You have to live life for you. Only you know what's right and what makes you happy. It's nice to see you're on a path to a happier place. :)

fat hiker, sarahe543 and Sidhuriel like this.
  18. Jul 8, 2019 #18

nsandru

nsandru

nsandru

A few years ago I gained about 25 lbs over a few months and noticed some changes. I lost about 15 lbs at one point afterwards only to gain much of it in recent months (and I am still gaining). Much of that gain went to my belly, from around 40" to 45" now, and my belly is now round, hard and inflexible.

Among the effects of my weight gain: I can no longer sit down without spreading my legs, bending over to pick up things from the floor is difficult and requires a lot of effort, I have to sleep on my side because of the weight of my belly, putting on socks and tying shoelaces is a hassle (that's one reason why I wear sandals with no socks year round, the other one is that I am overheating even at freezing temperatures), I had to adjust my driver seat to accommodate for my belly and so on. I had also to switch from shirt size L to XL and now I have to upgrade to XXL.

Despite all of this I like it and my wife loves my new appearance - she has a role in it with her cooking...

I have a tendency to overheat since an incident many years ago that screwed up my body thermal regulation. The weight gain has exacerbated this. Now I am wearing shorts and sleeveless shirts (or go shirtless) year round because I have to stay cool. Usually I don't wear a second layer of clothing if it's above freezing and I have to be shirtless whenever I do any physical activity, even when clearing snow.

fat hiker likes this.
  19. Jul 18, 2019 at 6:32 AM #19

John Smith

John Smith

John Smith

Quite normal. I've seen a similar thread in an another forum about someone's girlfriend whom her increasing weight has begun to left a toll once she bypassed the 170s pounds and she was about your same range of height. I've used to frequent somebody who stand less 5'8" or so and her everyday trivialities and stamina has all begun to change too when she used to tip over 170 pounds on the scale.

It's a subconsequent effect of the strain your extra weight exerts over your body. It may varies in regard of your daily activity level, but that's pretty much what could happens.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019 at 9:03 AM
    sarahe543 likes this.
  20. Jul 18, 2019 at 10:56 AM #20

loopytheone

loopytheone

loopytheone

Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator

Huh, that's interesting. For me, I only really noticed much difference when I got over 200 lbs and I'm only 5'2.

I guess it depends on build and stuff too though. Although this sounds like an excuse, I do literally have really wide bones and such that makes me carry weight much easier, from what I can tell. I think most of my issues come from me being sedentary more than my weight per se as well. I'm trying to work on that but chronic illnesses make it hard.

fat hiker likes this.