Cheap National Airfare

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Absolutism

A new airline is offering a $10 seat promotion through December. It's only national however, and from New England I could only seem to fly to and from Columbus as a hub to its' other available locations, but might be worth a look.

Not sure on their policy for passenger size, but worse case scenario you're paying $20 for a plane ticket, I suppose. Could be a good opportunity for those who've been using price as an excuse to meet-up or attend a convention/party.

http://www.skybus.com

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
Once you pick Columbus to where you'd actually want to go, it's about 50/75 or 100 per seat, each way (did LA as an example).... so cheaper, but certainly not 10 bucks. LOL I think they're using that as a giant fishing pole.

:)

Thanks for the tip though - I'm sure this will be a neat option for some people. :)

Okay, side note (ETA).... their cartoony approach is giving me the ValuJet hebbie jeebies. Just sayin'. Wonder if they've got a new shingle up.

View attachment 200px-Valujet-logo.jpg

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
so for 40 bucks...i can buy a whole row and sleep from all the tranquilizers...

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
And here is a little more info:

2. We give you the opportunity to control exactly what you pay for. You can customize your experience and fly the way you like. Pay a little extra to get on the plane early. Have your flight status sent automatically to your cell phone, e-mail, or pager. Buy food and beverages on board. Purchase a brand new blanket—yours to keep. Or check bags in addition to your free carry-ons. It’s completely up to you.

From reading that, it sounds like if you want to check bags you pay for them... the "carry on" is free. Which is great if you're a day/business traveler, but if you're saving 30 on a ticket and it's $15 bucks to check a bag.,... well, there's the savings missing.

Still an interesting concept though, for sure.

Absolutism

I forget that not everyone can live out of a backpack sometimes, haha.

EDIT: I think that this might be spreading somewhat quickly, some of the dates I checked earlier that were available for $10 have already been snatched up. Only 10 available per flight, so I can't say I'm terribly surprised, at least for flights in the near future.

Reactions: Ash

Jes

is oddly aroused
http://ask.skybus.com/questions/extra-seat.shtml

Here's the extra-seat info. Not a bad deal, as long as you only want to go to Columbus. :)
Yeah, I'll pass.

I'm hearing lots and lots about how most airlines will be charging for aisle seats and blankies and whatnot. You already don't get the 4 pretzels they used to give you. I know I'm fat and all, but I used to really count on that little box with the roll and the cookie and the apple (or whatever) in it that USAIR handed out. I live alone, so when I leave the house for a trip, I have basically nothing left to eat. Same wirth the return. Plus, flying is boring. So that little box was always exciting and came in so, so handy. NO SOUP FOR YOU!

I forgot where i was going with this, but just know that my Seinfeld impersonation was really spot on.

Goodnight, ladies and germs!

SparklingBBW

What's new pussycat?
All you people dis'n Columbus....man....you apparently haven't gotten the memo telling you that it is INDEED worth (at least!) 10 bucks a seat to get to Columbus because.....

I, GENAROSE54, AM IN COLUMBUS!

Jus' sayin'. :)

Gena

Jay West Coast

Witness to the Thickness
This sounds a lot like RyanAir in Europe. Ridiculously cheap airfare, but they are overly stringent on what you can and can't do, and charge for just about everything you can.

But, for a base rate of 4 euro, I will gladly fly from London to Paris to Rome...

Eclectic_Girl

Rock n Roll Babe
Wish I'd known about this a few weeks ago when I booked my flight for my college reunion (and, yes, my final destination is Columbus). I would have paid $112 for 2 seats instead of $400 something.

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
This sounds a lot like RyanAir in Europe. Ridiculously cheap airfare, but they are overly stringent on what you can and can't do, and charge for just about everything you can.

But, for a base rate of 4 euro, I will gladly fly from London to Paris to Rome...
It says something in their FAQ about RyanAir... either same people or based on their business model. Can't recall off the top of my head.

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
And here is a little more info:

From reading that, it sounds like if you want to check bags you pay for them... the "carry on" is free. Which is great if you're a day/business traveler, but if you're saving 30 on a ticket and it's $15 bucks to check a bag.,... well, there's the savings missing.

Still an interesting concept though, for sure.
Sounds kinda like those Southwest commercials where they charge to use the bathroom, a blanket and all that stuff LOL!

Tina

Older and wiser now
I recently learned from a Canadian that there's a program he subscribes to -- something like $599 for a summer long pass to anywhere in North America? I'd be all over that.
Do tell, Missa. I'd love more info.