Check out what I took a picture of last night!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

swamptoad

I took these pictures last night. This is at the backdoor of the home where I work. They were hungry and didn't mind at all having their picture taking. In fact, I had to quickly take their picture and shut the door right away because they were soooooo brave and curious. They were like "Look at that light." What is that? Let's go investigate."

Ok, so I took more than one picture. Hehehehe ....

mariac1966

Puppy Love
Really great close up shots!! the only close up pictures I took yesterday were of my niece :)

sugar and spice

Wow, thats cool but I would have been kinda scared too, wild animals scare me a bit.

Pixelpops

Oh, The Hazards of Love.
I'm so crazy jealous! The best thing I ever get rummaging about my back garden are a pair of noisy hedgehogs >_<

Punkin1024

Summer's already here!
Oh, how cute! It looks like an entire family there. Are these the ones you fed pizza to a while back? Did you ever see the movie "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd? Every time I see a group of racoons, I think of the funny racoons in that movie.

~Punkin

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
When I was a kid and we used to go to the country in the summer there were raccoons that used to come to the door every night. The man that lived in the house we stayed at used to feed them. The whole family of them would come, even the little babies! They were so cute. He used to go outside and they weren't afraid of him. We used to even turn on the big spotlights they had by the door and they didn't run away.
As cute as they were, they were wild animals and were vicious too! I had salamanders that I had caught and left outside in a bucket with something covering the top and they ate them! They also attacked a rabbit that we had outside in a cage, that although it was high off the ground had open slats in it. And the worst they did was attack and eat a baby owl that we had found and put in the cage. One morning we came out and all that was left was his head! :eek: That was pretty horrifying. (And I have no idea why I just shared that either)

We also had other animal fun in the country...sightings of cougars and things like that and lots of bears! We came back one summer and our camper had a set of 'claw' marks on it! They think it was from a bear.

swamptoad

Really great close up shots!! the only close up pictures I took yesterday were of my niece :)

Oh thanks! Appreciate that!

Well, I still bet that you took some nice pictures too. I need to have more pictures taken of my self and sent to my Mom. She's been asking me to do that for her. :doh: :D

swamptoad

Wow, thats cool but I would have been kinda scared too, wild animals scare me a bit.

Yeah. I am pretty timid being too near or around them also. I have zero experience in handling wild animals. I'd like to though. Only if I was with someone who was experienced with handling wild animals, would I have gone and touched one.

Glad you liked the pictures.

And I was extremely close to these raccoons. A little to close. But I also had a screen door separating me from them as well. I was low to the ground and had cracked open the screen door so gently and was being cautious to quickly take a picture and close the screen door so that they didn't venture inside.

swamptoad

I'm so crazy jealous! The best thing I ever get rummaging about my back garden are a pair of noisy hedgehogs >_<

Jealous. Hehehe. I just got lucky with my picture-taking. Hedgehogs? Cool. I'd like to see pictures of them! :D

Raccoons are noisy too. Or they can be when they knock things over and such. But they can also rummage around and be quiet other times.

We've had to use bungee cords to keep the trash cans safe from them. And we have to bring the bird feeders inside at night.

swamptoad

Oh, how cute! It looks like an entire family there. Are these the ones you fed pizza to a while back? Did you ever see the movie "The Great Outdoors" with John Candy and Dan Ackroyd? Every time I see a group of racoons, I think of the funny racoons in that movie.

~Punkin
Yeah. Last time I think I saw about 5 of them. The ones in the picture, I only saw 4 of them. The babies have been getting bigger every time I see them. Hahaha. Yeah I fed them pizza. I think last time I gave them some Subway. :doh:

"The Great Outdoors" is a very hilarious movie. Love that movie with those funny "subtitled" raccoons.

Suze

Too Vanilla For You
I can't decide if i find those animals cute or ugly. Maybe a little of both:p
Anyway, that must have been fun to watch. I love wildlife!

swamptoad

When I was a kid and we used to go to the country in the summer there were raccoons that used to come to the door every night. The man that lived in the house we stayed at used to feed them. The whole family of them would come, even the little babies! They were so cute. He used to go outside and they weren't afraid of him. We used to even turn on the big spotlights they had by the door and they didn't run away.
As cute as they were, they were wild animals and were vicious too! I had salamanders that I had caught and left outside in a bucket with something covering the top and they ate them! They also attacked a rabbit that we had outside in a cage, that although it was high off the ground had open slats in it. And the worst they did was attack and eat a baby owl that we had found and put in the cage. One morning we came out and all that was left was his head! :eek: That was pretty horrifying. (And I have no idea why I just shared that either)

We also had other animal fun in the country...sightings of cougars and things like that and lots of bears! We came back one summer and our camper had a set of 'claw' marks on it! They think it was from a bear.
I never got to see many raccoons when I grew up. Once in a while I did but never up close. This was my first really close encounter with them. Though I also never touched them either.

Yeah they are very cute and if you are very still and they are hungry they won't even mind coming closer and closer to where you are just to eat. I learned that because I opened the door and they ran away but then I just stood still, not even making the tiniest sound and they came back. I was just a bit too nervous to let them get too close to me, so I budged the door and they heard it and ran away again.

I never knew how vicious they could be. Crazy! Hey, I appreciate you sharing your story. Cute and dangerous. :eek:

Wow, cool that you got see many wild animals and all. :happy:

Latest posts