Chubby Chasers versus the Fat Admirer

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

EvilPrincess

I have posted this before and it did not seem to get any thought. Chubby Chaser is a term that has been adopted by Gay Males, it means a Gay man that likes Gay men that are fat. Before anyone goes around announcing you are a Chubby Chaser please know your audience.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
I have posted this before and it did not seem to get any thought. Chubby Chaser is a term that has been adopted by Gay Males, it means a Gay man that likes Gay men that are fat. Before anyone goes around announcing you are a Chubby Chaser please know your audience.
EP, I agree it DID used to mean that (years ago) but it has been co-opted to mean anyone who dates fat people, and I've heard it used that way for at least a decade.

LovelyLiz

I think it's less that your point didn't get any thought, and more that we all don't experience it that way. There are several posts that talk about how some of us hear "Chubby Chaser" used in straight communities all the time - I know I do. So to say decisively that it's a term that is somehow only for use by gay men and nobody else gets to use it doesn't line up with the experience of a number of us.

Gay men do use the term, sure, but so do a lot of other groups - in my experience it gets used really broadly. Listeners decide what a phrase means by context - and if a straight woman says it, they will interpret it to mean that she likes chubby guys, and not that she's secretly a gay man trapped in a straight woman's body.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Yes, that indeed was the most important bit of the message I posted...thank you, Captain Spell Checker :p

But, actually...now that you mention it...I've always heard it said S-W-A-R-M-Y from friends and family...

You're sure its smarmy?

*goes to check urban dictionary*

A ha! Victory!

Urban dictionary: Swarmy

a sleazy, sneaky, sweaty, unscrupulous person.
He was so swarmy that she wanted to take a bath after meeting him.

Yep, I was thinking of the right word. Although smarmy is a good word too.
No, you're not. Urban dictionary is hardly a legitimate source. There are just enough people who don't know what the real word is and botch it that it has made it onto there. The word is smarmy, and smarmy means exactly what you think "swarmy" does (from Merriam-Webster): : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness OR of low sleazy taste or quality <as in smarmy eroticism>.

SWARM, on the other hand, means a colony of bees. There is no such word as swarmy, sorry.

And yes, I'm a word nerd, I had to do this. Sorry. :p

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
Gay people adopted rainbows as one of their images and last time I checked, nobody was rejecting rainbows. I know CC's were originally or more commonly referred to gays chasing fat gays but term usages often change.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
No, you're not. Urban dictionary is hardly a legitimate source. There are just enough people who don't know what the real word is and botch it that it has made it onto there. The word is smarmy, and smarmy means exactly what you think "swarmy" does (from Merriam-Webster): : revealing or marked by a smug, ingratiating, or false earnestness OR of low sleazy taste or quality <as in smarmy eroticism>.

SWARM, on the other hand, means a colony of bees. There is no such word as swarmy, sorry.

And yes, I'm a word nerd, I had to do this. Sorry. :p
I thought that word was 'smarmy' which iz a wurd, no? lol

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
And that comment clearly indicates the public perception of anyone associated with the label "chubby chaser" as someone perverted, someone who wants "fat" women to do "freaky" things.
It's unfortunate that she feels that way, as this sort of attitude may well shut her off from a number of people who simply love who and what she is. We are all mind, body and soul, and to act as if expressing a specific interest in any of those three is "freaky," well, that would probably seem pretty odd to anyone who loves a fat person and thinks s/he is just awesome in every way.

It is unfortunate that we have to use labels to describe our preferences, but sometimes that is simply what people have to do when they see that what they love and believe in is ridiculed and trampled by everyone else.

LoveBHMS

default title
I use a label simply to describe myself, not because I'm defending myself or being trampled.

Sometimes using a label can be nothing more than self ascribing or even just explaining a situation. If a straight female hits on a man and he's gay, there's nothing wrong with him throwing out a label, along the lines of "I appreciate your interest but I'm only attracted to men."

The last time I used the term "chubby chaser" was when a manager at my job came by the bar on his day off. He was dressed in jeans and a tight t-shirt that showed off a very muscular toned body. A lot of the female servers were staring and chattering amongst themselves at how hot he looked and how a few of us hadn't recognized him in casual clothes. A coworker said something to me like "wow, I can't believe that's Chris. He looks so hot!" And I said "he does look great, and I can see he works really hard on his body but honestly I'm a chubby chaser so I'd probably never be attracted to him."

My saying that wasn't any different from a lesbian identifying herself as such by way of explaining a lack of attraction to a man.

RabbitScorpion

vienna carrier-no venom
Note on previous post #74 (any way to edit a post on this forum?)

When I posted it, I did not know that Chloe Agnew has very recently lost a lot of weight - one would have to use an image or video from before about January 2010 to apply it that post 74.

Lovelyone

Fat, and loveable!
I guess I will toss my 2 cents in, also. I am not particularly fond of either term. Where I live, the term "chubby chaser" refers to anyone (male or female, straight or gay) who might have an affection or affinity for the plus sized person. Here, "chubby chaser" is more commonly used with a person who only dates the smaller barely bbw type ladies. I think its a SWARMY term. To me, The term "fat admirer" sounds like you only admire the fat and not the person (and sadly I've met a lot of those types of guys here). I don't think either term could adequately describe the attractions of a person who prefers the company of someone that is plus-sized. They just don't seem appropriate to me. Personally, I prefer to call a date a gentleman. :)