Quantcast

Colleen Williams: Not a bit of discussion?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Bluestreak

I'm just surprised is all, and I admit that maybe my search skills are not all that good, but no mention anywhere on Dims of Colleen Williams, the 710 lb woman from Arizona who popped up on TV at the beginning of March?

Maybe it's just her 15 minutes of fame and world problems, as they should, are swamping out most other topics of interest to Dims Forum habitués.

If you do have any brainwidth available, do a search. You all might find it interesting!

The Dr. Oz thing is tacky, but the local Arizona coverage was practically tasteful. The studio shots scream “LOCAL TV”, with production values allowing massive XLR mic connectors visible in the shot, but the young lady herself is intelligent, talkative, animated and well spoken, albeit with a bad hair cut.

She feels she has a problem, has had some sort of epiphany and is turning to the power of TV for help, to lift her beyond her circumstances.

It’s been done before, of course, usually with less than wonderful outcomes. In this case, I hope Ms. Williams gets both what she wants and what she needs and manages to acquire the better life she so yearns for.

Russell Williams

You are here: Home / Celebrity Diets / Dr. Oz’s Life-Saving Intervention With a 700-Pound Woman
Dr. Oz’s Life-Saving Intervention With a 700-Pound Woman
March 5, 2011 By Leave a Comment
Dr. Oz’s Life-Saving Intervention With a 700-Pound Woman

Filed under: Diet & Weight Loss, Celebs & Entertainment

Barbara Nitke, Sony Pictures Television

Dr. Oz has been sharing weight loss advice with his audience for years. Now, one viewer is getting some very special attention from America’s favorite doctor. At 700 pounds, 31-year-old Colleen Williams signed up for the “Move It and Lose It” challenge on “The Dr. Oz Show” earlier this year. Touched by her story, Dr. Oz flew out to her hometown in Phoenix to get her started on a life-saving weight loss journey. “She is a wonderful woman but was powerless to change,” Dr. Oz told That’s Fit.

“Before we gave her the food and exercise plan, we needed to get to the why,” Dr. Oz said. “Food numbs pain, and it’s the No. 1 reason we overeat in America. Colleen had all kinds of challenges — like we all have — that made her feel a deep emptiness inside, and she filled it with food.”

As part of Williams’ treatment, Dr. Oz flew Williams to New York just a few weeks ago to get her blood work. “At 31, she had never had any medical test done in her adult life,” he said. “She had never let anyone under her skin, but figuratively and literally, and hid behind that fat. We took her to the doctor’s office and went through an hour-long battle to get her blood drawn — as much as she knew she needed to know the numbers. When she finally allowed us to draw blood, it was a very emotional moment.”

What those numbers revealed were some very dangerous health issues. “There wasn’t a single number that didn’t surprise me,” Dr. Oz shared. “There were profound abnormalities.”

The results of Williams’ blood work will be revealed on Wednesday’s episode of “The Dr. Oz Show.” This will be the first of Williams’ appearances, as Dr. Oz and his team will be following her throughout her journey and updating viewers with her progress. Dr. Oz also found Williams a mentor in television personality and formerly catastrophically obese Ruby, who has her own show on the Style Network. When Williams realized she was about to meet Ruby she burst into tears and said she felt Ruby was the only person who may know how she felt.

Watch “The Dr. Oz Show” tomorrow to see how Williams is taking the first steps to get healthy. Check your local listings.

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat
'catastrophically obese'

wow, thats a new one. Did Dr. Oz make that up?

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Notwithstanding Ms Williams TV debut, my issues are with Dr Oz.

Even before the “fat catastrophe” episodes, I have never been much of a fan of Dr Oz and his mirror images Dr Phil, the Doctors, etc. For one thing, I really prefer a girl’s health exam (or pysch exam) to be between her and a MD and be private – not fodder for national television. I cannot help but suspect that someone who drags a patient across country for blood work, dietary advice, and counseling has an agenda beyond one doctor/patient relationship. (For instance, did he and Ms. Williams ride in a private jet or did they fly commercial? If commercial, what was their seating arrangement?)

I probably have only watched 4 or 5 episodes of the Dr Oz show -period. Most were forced on me ‘cause Mr M2M wanted to watch a show about prostates or some male issue. I am not a physician, but I did not enjoy the shows nor feel the need to put Oz’s show on my list of “Series to Record”. A few reasons . . . .

• The show on dental radiation discussed the danger from thyroid cancer when having more than 4 sets of dental xrays a year. What Dr Oz omitted was the important fact that many dentists now use computerized digital xrays in which the radiation risk is much lower than the old units that depended on developing film plates. His data was old and dated.

• Another stunt I don’t care for is the “pickled punk” technique I have noticed on the few shows I’ve seen. This is when he drags up preserved body parts (diseased) and wows the audience with how wretched the thing looks. I have a BA in Biology and have taught Biology in high school for years – and can recognize shock effect from teaching when it’s that obvious. And, it’s not a desirable quality in a physician, maybe okay in a magician or a witch doctor. However, I guess it makes good TV. True Blood and Operation Repo draw tidy Nielson ratings using similar shock and surprise. :eek:

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank
Donna,
My system won't let me rep Casting Pearls at this time either. I guess we have been spending our "money" in the same store.
M2M

russianrobot

Idle Chatter
'catastrophically obese'

it does sound like something Jerry Bruckheimer would come up with

imfree

In Remembrance
(SNARKFONT)The media has just declared obesity to be a terminal condition.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
The Dr. Oz thing is tacky....
Yeah, he's almost a complete idiot; which is so unfortunate, given that that actually does some good stuff. Like the half-vitamin thing. I'm a half vitamin guy. He's definitely in need of some sort of sensitivity training, because you can tell his buffoonery is not intentional.

The craziest thing I've seen him do is that cross-over with Crossing Over with John Edward. I mean, that's nuts for a a real Doctor, a man of science, to be endorsing that at any level.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
Dr. Oz is actually the only person to have won a Pigasus Award two years in a row. He is considered a charlaton by many for various reasons.

The James Randi Educational Foundation said:
Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.—The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) promotes critical thinking through grants for outstanding educators, scholarships to inspire skeptical students, and annual conferences showcasing the best of skeptical thought—but every April Fools Day, the organization honors the five worst offenders who are intentionally or unintentionally pulling the wool over the public's eyes.

Since 1997, the JREF’s annual Pigasus Awards have been bestowed on the most deserving charlatans, swindlers, psychics, pseudo-scientists, and faith healers—and on their credulous enablers, too. The awards are named for both the mythical flying horse Pegasus of Greek mythology and the highly improbable flying pig of popular cliche.
Read the rest here.

AJ!

Part man. Part fruit.
That's all I know so far.

Just saw the commercial, it's on here in 30 minutes.

Um... I'll be watching.