comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
Really enjoying the ongoing Darkest Night saga for Green Lantern. I get the impression that Hal Jordan is again being set up for epic status. With the descent of the Guardian Scar into the Black Lantern group, it's becoming ever more mysterious how they're going to bring some closure to things. It's already making the Sinestro Corps War from 2007 look pale in comparison.

see, i want to read this, and i want to enjoy it, but i've never read a GL book in my life. i don't think that Blackest Night is meant for newbies like me. :confused:

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
see, i want to read this, and i want to enjoy it, but i've never read a GL book in my life. i don't think that Blackest Night is meant for newbies like me. :confused:
Well, for one thing as with the likes of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, it all depends on when you pick it up. If you choose the reboot from the mid-90s (the Green Lantern: Rebirth saga), it is the best place to start for the modern incarnation of the Corps. I would also say going back to the Alan Moore comic (there's an Alan Moore DC Comics collection out on Amazon) and reading "In Blackest Night" sets the whole process up for this new saga gives a bit of backstory--and also supports the aspect of Moore as being ahead of his time.

I would also recommend starting at last year's Sinestro Corps series (which I think are in trade PB now) since it began the lead-in for much of the modern status of things. Geoff Johns is my favorite writer in comics now next to Jeph Loeb, and he's winning me over with each issue whether it's GL or Superman some other series he is working with.

When I picked up the GL books 2 years ago I had the same odd thoughts. The costumes looked a tad hokey, not to mention the quickest way to disable a lantern is to cut their finger/hand off, but they work around it fairly well. Seeing an actual believable villain (Sinestro, a former GL himself who tired of the Guardians and their methodologies) as well as flawed main characters with gritty past histories grew on me. The cycle of corruption/redemption of the Jordan character has been the most interesting aspect, not to mention how one deals working for a group of omnipotent midgets who seem to keep changing the rules on their employees.

Last edited by a moderator:

disconnectedsmile

i'm tempted to get GL: Secret Origin, GL: Rebirth, and The Sinestro Corps War Vol. 1 & 2 and Blackest Night #1 in addition to my other weeklies, but i fear that may be too much to take in. also, i don't feel like draining my checking account in one fell swoop. i'll probably just wait for Blackest Night to be released in hardcover.

in other news, really looking forward to Wednesday Comics #2. last week's was an absolute joy to read. did anyone else pick it up?

Admiral_Snackbar

In regard to the latest three Green Lantern comics out, the one that introduces the Black Lanterns and a few other side stories, I have only one thing to say:

Pants, meet shit.

This is shaping up to be an amazingly cool saga. I hope they do it right and don't fuck it up with a Dean Koontz ending.

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
I've been on a western kick lately and just read a batch of JONAH HEX issues.

I like the original series from the 1970s better but this new series has decent, done in one issue stories. I just wish the book would have a steady artist is all.

Dennis

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad
In regard to the latest three Green Lantern comics out, the one that introduces the Black Lanterns and a few other side stories, I have only one thing to say:

Pants, meet shit.

This is shaping up to be an amazingly cool saga. I hope they do it right and don't fuck it up with a Dean Koontz ending.

I wait for almost no trades. Bomb Queen, The Damned, The Atheist and Green Lantern. Whenever I buy them, I always think 'why don't I get everything in trade?'. And then series like this come out and I $#@% remember.

Zoom

Rogue
Just finished reading the complete Animal Man and the complete Shade: The Changing Man (including the 1970s series and the unprinted issue #9).

I didn't like Animal Man, because I was surprised how preachy Grant Morrison was compared to his Doom Patrol work, and his successors were confusing everything hopelessly. Shade's daughter was quite interesting though in the things she would do and say...

Shade, on the other hand, was the most interesting thing I'd read in five years. (SPOLERS AHEAD, I recommend you download and read this first!) Death was no longer a constant, and it was nearly impossible to follow the strange interactions between the major characters. By the end, Rac Shade was a very unlikeable person, until suddenly he tried real hard to make everything right. Obviously the book suddenly developed the "We're about to be cancelled, so let's resolve as many of the plotlines as we possibly can" Syndrome. Apart from his deceased son inhabiting a girl's body and deciding to become a lesbian (or something like that), and the "Quick! Let's run a massive time travel retcon and get Shade back together with his alive-again girlfriend!" thing, it was all nice.

Now I have started Sgt. Fury, which astonished me as to how good it was. I was expecting something hackneyed and finished in a hurry, like most of the Silver Age Marvel works. Or worse, something like Blackhawks, where everyone is stereotyped very badly. So far, the only offensive stereotyping is the British guy who replaced the kid who died early on. If they wanted someone as rowdy as the Howlers were, they should have got a pubcrawler hooligan who enjoyed soccer-- maybe someone with a Northern accent. You'd think that Stan Lee or Jack Kirby, both WWII veterans, would have come across one... instead, we get a guy who says "Jolly good show!" and "Pip pip!" and sounds like a Boer War Colonel.

I downloaded the Nick Fury stuff for the Agent of SHIELD issues, specifically the Steranko material, but if it's better than the Sgt. Fury stuff I will be severely floored. Can't wait for that.

After that I have a ton of Thor to read, which I've been putting off a long time, maybe a year or so. In the interim I've read all the Flash comics (hated the Golden Age stuff, tolerated the Silver Age stuff, and liked the Wally West stuff once he really got going with longer storylines). Didn't read Impulse yet (Kid Flash from the future), and not sure if I want to bother.

Then I have to sort out the issues of the JLA (at least 15 GB and maybe 20), Judge Dredd work in 2000 AD (no idea), and the sum totality of all the Crises from the 1960s to the Final Crisis, which once sorted out is a megawork which I've been itching to read all of.

The final mess to sort out is a complete X-Men and related material, which is some 16 GB nearly impossible to get into chronological order. Got as far as the New Mutants issues with Karma possessed by Amahl Farouk (remember those awful attempts by Sienkiewicz and Leialoha at drawing her fat? At least Art Adams got it right) but someone put something in the wrong order and I've been stuck trying to remember how it's supposed to go.

Edens_heel

Finally got around to marathoning all 13 TPBs of 100 Bullets. Very impressed with the entire run, and I love how the ending was not a "clean" wrap-up. With this and Y: The Last Man over with, I'm down to just Fables as my only closed-ended series left (at least, it will be closed at some point).

Spoilers...

I was a little upset that Dizzy bought it at the end - or is about to by the time the final curtain falls - but for the same reasons that I'm still miffed about Agent 355's death near the end of Y: because that was one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a comic series.

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad
Finally got around to marathoning all 13 TPBs of 100 Bullets. Very impressed with the entire run, and I love how the ending was not a "clean" wrap-up. With this and Y: The Last Man over with, I'm down to just Fables as my only closed-ended series left (at least, it will be closed at some point).

Spoilers...

I was a little upset that Dizzy bought it at the end - or is about to by the time the final curtain falls - but for the same reasons that I'm still miffed about Agent 355's death near the end of Y: because that was one of the most interesting characters I've ever seen in a comic series.

The only problem I had with 100 Bullets was how they explained the source of the untraceable guns. It was one guy with connections to three agencies. That doesn't account for just how "magic" the bullets are. It barely seemed to involve the Trust at all, (although that would have made sense and helped explain it a little) and yet they were aware of it and seemed to just tolerate it even though they are clearly at war with Graves almost from the beginning. Plot details above... Aside from that and a vague desire to have the other members of the Trust fleshed out more, I had no complaints. Some of my favorite characters and some of my favorite writing ever. Also, Eduardo Risso draws some LOVELY (and a few monstrous) BBWs.

Edens_heel

The only problem I had with 100 Bullets was how they explained the source of the untraceable guns. It was one guy with connections to three agencies. That doesn't account for just how "magic" the bullets are. It barely seemed to involve the Trust at all, (although that would have made sense and helped explain it a little) and yet they were aware of it and seemed to just tolerate it even though they are clearly at war with Graves almost from the beginning. Plot details above... Aside from that and a vague desire to have the other members of the Trust fleshed out more, I had no complaints. Some of my favorite characters and some of my favorite writing ever. Also, Eduardo Risso draws some LOVELY (and a few monstrous) BBWs.

I'm not sure how I feel about that to be honest. It was actually something I wanted explained, but I wanted it to be far more epic and sinister. It almost had to be considering what they had built it all up to - the mythic level of intelligence that Graves seemed to have about such personal things. How much of that was maybe inferred by him (like the girl who had run away from home only to die living on the streets at 16 because her father had abused her)? Did he take basic info and extrapolate to his needs the most likely scenario? Or did the intelligence really go just that deep?

I felt very much the same about Atlantic City and the Crime of the Century. I didn't feel as if I needed my hand held in terms of explanation, but I expected more of an impact from those elements.

Then again, the story was really more an excuse to tell the tales of these characters, much more so than the details of the conspiracy. I remember also feeling a little let down by the "reveal" to the gendercide in Y, but that didn't matter compared to the amazing character arcs.

Admiral_Snackbar

Still awaiting the new GL books but I am out of town this week and won't get to the comic store until next Wed. or so. Waiting sucks. I've read reviews far and wide and it seems to be an almost 50/50 split down the middle. It's either going to be Geoff Johns' magnum opus or it will divide everything into a Before/After G.J. period where he totally jumped the shark and everything written to page was lower than hammered dog shit.

Deadpool remains a steady favorite, even with the WTF ending of issue #12 when post-battle with Bullseye; seems our Dark Hawkeye has a bit of a phobia: He doesn't want to die and apparently finds himself facing exactly that but offers our Merc with a Mouth a sweet deal. The issue ends with this moment where you're thinking, "ok, where does it go from here?".

Not sure what they're trying to do with Marvel Zombies series 4, but whatever they are doing it's not the series I grew to love, even with my anti-walking dead (not the series which kicks ass, but the overall theme) take on comics. Just stop already and let a good series end gracefully.

Caught up on the latest Amazing Spider-Man, the newest of which is pretty good considering the earlier issues since "Brand New Day" suffered so bad from what I called the "Smallville Meteor Freak of the Week" syndrome. Adding more of Norman Osborne and the Dark Avengers is a breath of fresh air to Marvel, very much like the post-Roddenberry DS9 was refreshingly real, where in a utopian future we still had secret agencies, dark alliances and shady, unethical behavior not befitting Starfleet Officers. Osborne makes you believe that this is what would happen if a younger, more publicly savvy Dick Cheney was running the country.

For shits and giggles I re-read The Other and Spidey Civil War sagas from the JMK days (pre-reboot of the character) and dammit if that wasn't some good stuff. To this day I reel as to why Marvel decided to take Parker back to basics, and I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop, Dallas style. Peter wakes up next to MJ, older, wiser, ready to face the world as an adult rather than as the same dorky kid from yesteryear.

disconnectedsmile

Still awaiting the new GL books but I am out of town this week and won't get to the comic store until next Wed. or so. Waiting sucks. I've read reviews far and wide and it seems to be an almost 50/50 split down the middle. It's either going to be Geoff Johns' magnum opus or it will divide everything into a Before/After G.J. period where he totally jumped the shark and everything written to page was lower than hammered dog shit.
i gotta say, Blackest Night #1 was a jaw dropper and i was very impressed with GL #43 and #44.
i'm just now getting inot G.J.'s Green Lantern stuff because of Blackest Night. maybe you're reading different stories than i have, but i think G.J. is a great writer.
i've read "Rebirth" and "Sinestro Corps, Vol.1" and i'm in the process of "Sinestro Corps, Vol.2" and all of these books have delivered everything i look for in a superhero comic.

Admiral_Snackbar

i'm just now getting inot G.J.'s Green Lantern stuff because of Blackest Night. maybe you're reading different stories than i have, but i think G.J. is a great writer.
I'm not saying Johns is a bad writer, quite the opposite. I'm just saying that he's juggling a lot of prime characters with a huge amount of recent treatment given the recent Sinestro Corps/Final Crisis sagas. Taking the death of two of the DC Universe's biggest heroes (Batman and Martian Manhunter) and zombifying them is a very delicate task. Do it right with the detail and focus of the Sinestro series and it will be the penultimate feather in his cap. Do it wrong and you're going to piss off a lot of people in the process. I think the "death" of Bruce Wayne was the comic equivalent of Han Solo shooting first--no one really wants to accept it either as canonical or as a permanent fixture of the character's history.

On a completely unrelated note, I found out that the first 6 issues of Superman/Batman, "Public Enemies" are being made into an animated film with the original character voice actors from the two Superman and Batman animated series. AE is happy; it's hard for me to imagine an animated Lex Luthor without Clancy Brown's voice coming out of his mouth no matter how close Kevin Michael Richardson can match it.

Superman/Batman, FYI happens to be the series that got me into comics in the early 2000s, cementing Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness as two of my favorites in the medium. While the series is sort of in limbo now after Final Crisis, it had some of the coolest stories around (it also had one of the early previews of the Final Crisis arc with a Mr. Mxyzptlk/Darkseid discussion about the Fourth World)

disconnectedsmile

so, is anyone familiar with Marvelman/Miracleman? seems the twitter is celebrating the fact that Marvel Comics picked up the franchise.
the news was announced at Comic-Con.

Fish

Artist of stuff
I'll believe it when I see a book published with the character. TOO many people have their hands in that pot for me to believe it's ALL settled.

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad
In a perfect world, they will publish it in an accessible form, and leave it alone. I really don't want to see Marvelman fighting the Hulk.

Tragdor

Abide
After Blue Beetle was recently canceled I really lost my drive to continue with comics. Even titles I loved a year ago, like Runaways, are marred in unoriginal plot lines that make me forget what happened from one issue to the next. Also I feel

I might still get some graphic novels of some things that look cool but I have no patience to get in monthly format such as Agents of Atlas. But I am done with most comics now.

Fish

Artist of stuff
After Blue Beetle was recently canceled I really lost my drive to continue with comics. Even titles I loved a year ago, like Runaways, are marred in unoriginal plot lines that make me forget what happened from one issue to the next. Also I feel

I might still get some graphic novels of some things that look cool but I have no patience to get in monthly format such as Agents of Atlas. But I am done with most comics now.

That's a big problem for me regarding most all of the corporate owned comic properties. They're not interested in telling great stories near as much as they are in maintaining their branded trademarks.

As such, I find more enjoyment in indie titles like 'The Mice Templar", "Invincible", "Echo" or "RASL". Books controled by their creators where anything can and often does happen.

Latest posts