Quantcast

comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad
If this reboot is successful, will it cause Marvel to follow? I hope so, maybe then we'd get a graphic novel of the 1973 series, "Avengers vs Defenders." God, I had the entire series, bought is as each comic came out, read them again and again. Saved them until I was 18, when my mother's bf sold them, along with the rest of my collection, to pay for his drug and alcohol addictions.
Actually, Avengers Vs. Defenders has been collected.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0785127593/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
see...and i thought dims was a safe place to get away from comics...lol. i am married to a comics collector (and former dealer), self publisher and overall comics junkie. he is mainly into legion of superheroes...but has cases upon cases of comics. yes, they are all lovingly bagged and boarded...lol. they have their own special comic boxes and everything...fun..except when we have to move them to get to stuff...

right now he is powering up for heroescon...held right here in beautiful Charlotte, NC. It is the largest comic convention in NC. I am pretty sure outside of dragoncon..it is the biggest in the southeast. He is so psyched!

the good part is he is very easy to shop for...although the silver/golden age stuff can be crazy pricey...he gets comics for most major holidays.

at least he gave up collecting those little statues...

much love to all the comic geeks!
Bobblehead: which celebrities plan to appear at the Comic Convention-
and your Hubby being a comic collector and fan of the Legion of SuperHeroes probably enjoyed reading Action Comic #267...
You can only go for the Silver Age stuff these days- though some of the later Brinze Age issues are worth getting-but, it all depends on the Comic and story line...

Imagine owning the comic that started the Silver Age (Showcase # 4 - 1956) starring the Flash. This sold for $179,250.00

Recent Bid for Showcase #4

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
I really LOVED this one. It's a french comic called Skydoll. Marvel released a translated one for the states. The art in this one is AMAZING!!! A really cool and unique style. Not you typical super hero style of art. It's more like a a 2D cartoon. http://marvel.com/comic_books/issue/31291/sky_doll_space_ship_2010_1

Another is "The Goon" by Eric Powell pretty awesome! http://www.thegoon.com/index.php

and the last a comic one called Maintenance on Oni Press- http://www.onipress.com/title/maintenance-v1-it-s-a-dirty-job
Really awesome art. Very cartoony, but really great!

rickydaniels

I read Watchmen back in Jr. High- A LONG TIME AGO! and it was one of the most unique comics that I had ever read still to this day. I recently re-read it before the movie came out. It was still as cool as remembered it! It's definitley in my top ten along with Frank Millers-Dark Knight

READ! WATCHMEN! NOW! It is quite possibly the best thing ever written (take that Hamlet!). Honestly, the movie will not nearly do it justice. Not saying it will suck, but it can't possibly compare to what was originally written/drawn. Watchmen is the type of book that really lends itself to multiple readings. My own paperback copy is nearly falling apart because of how often I've read it & I'm still discovering new things in it, lol!

And if you enjoy Watchmen I would also recommend Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns (but steer clear of The Dark Knight Strikes Again), Mark Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme (& it's modern counterpart), Miller's run on Daredevil is also excellent (I highly recommend the Born Again storyline, in particular).

I pick up nearly everything Daredevil related. For some reason he's the only hero I can stand these days. Bendis' run on DD was great, certainly better than his New Avengers stuff, IMO. In writing that, Bendis made me hate Spider-Man. I know he's supposed to be a guy that quips alot to throw villains off-guard & all that, but in this he was just SOOOOO annoying I often felt like tearing up the damn books!:mad:

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
I agree RED BOOTS! and SHORTY SHORTS!!! Lynda Carter could kick her ass!
i hate when people think that Lynda Carter was the best Wonder Woman. she just happens to be the ONLY Wonder Woman. (Adrianne Palicki doesn't count, since the NBC pilot wasn't green-lit.)
that's like saying Seth Rogen is the best Green Hornet.

disconnectedsmile

RATING: AWESOME
Because yet another reboot is going to so help their bottom line. :doh:
(sorry for the late reply on this)
i think it's going to be an effective plan, but likely only for the short-term.
after letting the reboot idea sink in for a while, i think it's not the worst idea ever. it's just a questionably executed one.

speaking from a purely sales stance, i really suspect those that are saying "never again will i buy DC comics!" aren't currently buying too many (if any) DC comics anyway.
i think the majority (not all) DC fans are going to at least give a few titles in the reboot a fair chance.
and refreshing the company line to #1 is going to attract new readers, whether we want to admit it or not. how many times have you heard someone ask "i want to start reading ____, but i don't know where to start?" well, wouldn't September be the perfect time? i, personally, know at least 3 people who are gonna start reading a few titles come September. and that's 3 new opportunities for DC to hook new readers. and with digital distribution, it'll be even easier to get new readers hooked.
(print readers shouldn't worry about this much - those who want print comics will continue to buy them.)

will all the new readers stick around? probably not. a lot of them will probably pick up 2-3 issues of 2-3 different comics. but a few of them will probably start getting into a few more than the initial 2-3 they started with.

whether this reboot business is truly a good idea or truly a bad idea remains to be seen, but you gotta admit, it's a ballsy move that has gotten people talking and set a spark in the industry.
that's gotta count for something.

(side note: WHAT THE HELL DID THEY DO TO HARLEY QUINN THOUGH MY GOD)

Mack27

AΔΦΆΓΙΑ
Has anyone seen it yet? I really liked it, but dont know a whole lot about that side of the X-Men. It was directed by Matthew Vaughn who did Kick-Ass; which I loved. I'd like to hear your thoughts. Also, I recently saw Thor and surprisingly found it really good.
It was pretty good. I enjoyed first class. As far as reboots go I recall back in the 80's Mark Gruenwald saying that "Marvel doesn't do reboots, we get it right the first time." Of course it makes one wince at the later retcons like "One more day." I had to laugh at the attempted John Byrne Hulk retcon. Rick Jones made fun of it over in "Captain Marvel." It was so laughable that everyone ignored it and Marvel just retconned that retcon away.

rickydaniels

Anyone catch that last night? Despite the aweful commercial breaks every 10 minutes, it was pretty good. I was kind of hoping for a little more though. It drops you right into the middle of this universe. We (the audience) still have no idea why these aliens have attacked earth. The effects were decent for television and so far I like most of the actors. This first episode kept my interest and I plan on watching the next one in hopes that it will get more exciting. All I know is that I'm sick for cool tv shows that like Heroes and Lost that start out great and go nowhere. What did you guys think?

marlowegarp

I wanna meet that dad
It was pretty good. I enjoyed first class. As far as reboots go I recall back in the 80's Mark Gruenwald saying that "Marvel doesn't do reboots, we get it right the first time." Of course it makes one wince at the later retcons like "One more day." I had to laugh at the attempted John Byrne Hulk retcon. Rick Jones made fun of it over in "Captain Marvel." It was so laughable that everyone ignored it and Marvel just retconned that retcon away.
Most of John Byrne's retcons have fortunately been retconned away. Spider-Man: Chapter One was so bad I actually set fire to the book and threw it into a barrel. I remember when he retconned away a scene between Arcade and Dr. Doom by having Doom turn out to be a doombot, reasoning that Doom would simply never brook insolence. Ouch.

rickydaniels

WOW. Glad the WW series never got green lit. Looked terrible. Probably would've had follow the new Knight Rider/ Bionic Woman line up. So a Logan's Run Reboot? hmmm Do we really need to re-live our childhood favorites? Didn't they learn from Clash of the Titans? What's next? Forbidden Planet Re-Boot? Ain't cool news was discussing a possible Time Bandits Re-Boot. There really is no need is there? Let's get creative again! Let's come up with new characters and ideas! Enough said. There's my rant of the day.

russianrobot

Idle Chatter
Anyone reading the FEAR ITSELF event right now?

DC's Flashpoint: Deadman and the Flying Grayson's is really stellar (issue 1 at least (out of 3)

Latest posts