Quantcast

comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

linkinghabit

They need to bring the COMICS back in comic books. Comics have been overdosing on "realism" the past 2 decades.

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
They need to bring the COMICS back in comic books. Comics have been overdosing on "realism" the past 2 decades.
I dunno, I kinda realism in comics has been around since the beginning. It's interesting to see the decisions that the characters make and how it effects their lives within the storyline. For example the Watchmen. Superheroes during a cold war scenario have to make some very difficult choices in order to dissolve a war. That book is totally good.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
I think it works both ways. Just depends on what you feel like reading. Like the poster mentioned above, you have things like Watchmen where there is a political influence. when I'm done reading that and I want something a little lighter in Mood, I might read Secret Six, or Battle Pope! there's a huge variety out there.

s!gma

Anyone Find any gems in the NEW 52?

Swamp Thing really surprised me and turned out to be Great times.

Green Lantern is Boss Ass, and Corps is doing its thing, But New Guardians is starting to smell a little off, and I'm Still not reading that damn hell ass Red Lanterns [despite them being the antagonists int he new cartoon]

I'm already Tired of Superman but am Still reading ACTION just because of the Hype and lack of availability. ...so I can gloat.

Batman Seems to be killing it across the board but has Wolverine syndrome as he is on two major teams and still stars in 4 series of his own.

Legion is lacking IMO but there's a DC/IDW crossover: Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes, that is kinda cool and picking up steam. LOST is eeeh. and Origins seems like they put the story they're supposed to be telling on the back burner so they can introduce some big monster or something.

Marvel is running Regenesis for the X-men and the team is split. Word is Phoenix is returning soonish so we should see the Iconic X-men again soon, if Emma would get lost and angel would get his head out of Apocalypses posterior.

Hulk Restarted and it dont make no damn sense that he and Bruce Banna are actually two people now. But Betty is a Hulk too and she Kept her sword after FEAR ITSELF so I am not asking too many questions.

Spider-man has a new "Avenging" title which seems to be fried poop.

And Cable is returning from the dead to hunt the Avengers for who knows what reason. He should be in San-Fran dealing with Mutant things, so I cant say I am excited or even interested in that.

Or any of the plots Marvel showed in their 2012 Preview. Scarlet spider could be good but damn they're gonna have to try hard.

I'm just waiting for the HC of Young Avengers children's crusade, hopefully bringing Wanda back into the game, but if it just ends up being a waste of fukkin time like Avengers/Invaders was I might be done with Marvel.

Having said That Johnny is back as of Fantastic Four 600, and Future Foundation was good because of extra Reeds and Doom was always there. As far as I know both series are continuing so that should be pretty sexy.

And believe there will be a resurgence of Avengers plots with the Movie in march. But the Avengers have been running On Brian Michael Bendis' engines for nigh onto 5 years now and he seems to be out of gas, or he is saving the best for ...later.

Because of the Abounding stupidity in Marvel, what with Red Hulks and all I'm trying to branch out, I found myself picking up the latest Spawn, and Kickass [which is ridiculous] and looking at Dynamites' The Last Phantom.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a less mainstream read?
I've Heard good things about "Chew"

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
Anyone Find any gems in the NEW 52?

Swamp Thing really surprised me and turned out to be Great times.

Green Lantern is Boss Ass, and Corps is doing its thing, But New Guardians is starting to smell a little off, and I'm Still not reading that damn hell ass Red Lanterns [despite them being the antagonists int he new cartoon]

I'm already Tired of Superman but am Still reading ACTION just because of the Hype and lack of availability. ...so I can gloat.

Batman Seems to be killing it across the board but has Wolverine syndrome as he is on two major teams and still stars in 4 series of his own.

Legion is lacking IMO but there's a DC/IDW crossover: Star Trek/Legion of Superheroes, that is kinda cool and picking up steam. LOST is eeeh. and Origins seems like they put the story they're supposed to be telling on the back burner so they can introduce some big monster or something.

Marvel is running Regenesis for the X-men and the team is split. Word is Phoenix is returning soonish so we should see the Iconic X-men again soon, if Emma would get lost and angel would get his head out of Apocalypses posterior.

Hulk Restarted and it dont make no damn sense that he and Bruce Banna are actually two people now. But Betty is a Hulk too and she Kept her sword after FEAR ITSELF so I am not asking too many questions.

Spider-man has a new "Avenging" title which seems to be fried poop.

And Cable is returning from the dead to hunt the Avengers for who knows what reason. He should be in San-Fran dealing with Mutant things, so I cant say I am excited or even interested in that.

Or any of the plots Marvel showed in their 2012 Preview. Scarlet spider could be good but damn they're gonna have to try hard.

I'm just waiting for the HC of Young Avengers children's crusade, hopefully bringing Wanda back into the game, but if it just ends up being a waste of fukkin time like Avengers/Invaders was I might be done with Marvel.

Having said That Johnny is back as of Fantastic Four 600, and Future Foundation was good because of extra Reeds and Doom was always there. As far as I know both series are continuing so that should be pretty sexy.

And believe there will be a resurgence of Avengers plots with the Movie in march. But the Avengers have been running On Brian Michael Bendis' engines for nigh onto 5 years now and he seems to be out of gas, or he is saving the best for ...later.

Because of the Abounding stupidity in Marvel, what with Red Hulks and all I'm trying to branch out, I found myself picking up the latest Spawn, and Kickass [which is ridiculous] and looking at Dynamites' The Last Phantom.

Does anyone have any reccomendations for a less mainstream read?
I've Heard good things about "Chew"
I notice you didn't mention I Vampire, I'm really digging this one for some reason, one of my favorite new 52.

also, on a side note, I got to "break bread" with John Layman, Eisner winner and writer of "chew" a few nights ago. One of the coolest most down to earth people ever. Super nice guy, I was star struck for sure.

Weirdo890

I've recently finished reading the Scott McCloud trilogy on comics (Understanding Comics, Reinventing Comics, and Making Comics). I must say, they have definitely expanded my view on comics and how to look at them and analyze their way of storytelling.

Reading these books has led me to look at how different narrative media tell a story.

I've been passing these books onto my friend, who is a writer. She's been enjoying them as well. We talk about making a comic book together, her writing and me drawing.

Mayla

I read Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" and he's a genius. Really, if anyone is interested in writing comics or understanding them on a whole new level, you *need* his books.

In other news -

Storm (Ororo Munroe) will be an Avenger! Beginning in January's 2012 issue. I wonder what that means for T'Challa...? Man, I wish they weren't together.

Weirdo890

I read Scott McCloud's "Understanding Comics" and he's a genius. Really, if anyone is interested in writing comics or understanding them on a whole new level, you *need* his books.
His books are a must read for anybody interested in comics. Along with Will Eisner's trilogy of books (Comics and Sequential Art, Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative). I have all of those books on my shelf. :happy:

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
His books are a must read for anybody interested in comics. Along with Will Eisner's trilogy of books (Comics and Sequential Art, Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative, and Expressive Anatomy for Comics and Narrative). I have all of those books on my shelf. :happy:
Great books indeed! I also have McCloud and Eisner's works on my shelves.

Dennis

Allie Cat

The stuff I'm reading regularly is Game of Thrones, The Wheel of Time, and Gold Digger... Seems like every time I post here that list is smaller. :p

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
  • CHEW!!! Everyone needs to be reading chew
  • Fatale - Ed Brubaker is at it again.
  • Criminal - Ed Brubaker as well. This book got me to read Fatale.
Seriously though, everyone should read chew. It a breath of fresh air, as it's such a unique story with some good laughs.

Weirdo890

I've been reading some classic comics myself.

• Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes by Carl Barks (The Complete Carl Barks Library)

These are wonderful stories, written and drawn by one of the masters (even if a lot of modern-day comics fans don't talk about him). These are stories from the beginning of his creative peak period (1949). The stories here well-told. The longer stories have a good sense of adventure, and there is a lot of hilarious moments throughout all of them. The ten-page story about the TV Quiz show is a gut-buster.

Besides the obvious artistry and craftsmanship in the drawing, one of the traits I admire about Carl Barks' work is his strength with character. His Donald Duck is a multi-faceted character, bumbling and incompetent one minute, industrious and intelligent the next. Barks realized that human beings are never the same from moment-to-moment, except within very broad boundaries. That's a lesson that all fiction writers can learn.

rickydaniels

I've been reading some classic comics myself.

• Walt Disney's Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes by Carl Barks (The Complete Carl Barks Library)

These are wonderful stories, written and drawn by one of the masters (even if a lot of modern-day comics fans don't talk about him). These are stories from the beginning of his creative peak period (1949). The stories here well-told. The longer stories have a good sense of adventure, and there is a lot of hilarious moments throughout all of them. The ten-page story about the TV Quiz show is a gut-buster.

Besides the obvious artistry and craftsmanship in the drawing, one of the traits I admire about Carl Barks' work is his strength with character. His Donald Duck is a multi-faceted character, bumbling and incompetent one minute, industrious and intelligent the next. Barks realized that human beings are never the same from moment-to-moment, except within very broad boundaries. That's a lesson that all fiction writers can learn.
Nice! Carl Barks stuff is great! Those old Donald Duck comics are really under-rated! I've lately gotten back into him and Will Eisner

Weirdo890

Nice! Carl Barks stuff is great! Those old Donald Duck comics are really under-rated! I've lately gotten back into him and Will Eisner
I love Will Eisner's work? Which period of his work do you like the most, the time of The Spirit or his more personal comic book novels, like A Contract with God.

Weirdo890

As much as I love hero stuff like the Spirit, lately I am liking his more personal stuff.
I like both. I love his caricatured, cartoony drawing style. It makes his characters so expressive and alive. That's what me think that his novels would make animated films. They actually tried to make an animated Spirit film back in the 80s, to be directed by Brad Bird!

See for yourself Here!

Reactions: hrd

rickydaniels

I like both. I love his caricatured, cartoony drawing style. It makes his characters so expressive and alive. That's what me think that his novels would make animated films. They actually tried to make an animated Spirit film back in the 80s, to be directed by Brad Bird!

See for yourself Here!
WOW! Thanks for sharing that article! I never knew that! I love Brad Birds work!

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
Another mystery to me recently: how is it that Rob Liefeld manages to find work? :confused:

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) he draws has that grimacing look of all teeth bared, noses smaller than LaToya Jackson's ... I just don't get it.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
Another mystery to me recently: how is it that Rob Liefeld manages to find work? :confused:

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) he draws has that grimacing look of all teeth bared, noses smaller than LaToya Jackson's ... I just don't get it.
hahahah *thinks of the new hakwman & dove that is now cancelled*

He's also famous for drawing shitty feet, or non existent feet. For a while in his career he drew fee off in the background or out of focus, behind something, kicked back behind the body.

I also once saw a three fingered spider man he drew, but I can't for the life of me remember what comic it was.

Meeting him was also greatly underwhelming.

Latest posts