Quantcast

comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Weirdo890

Another mystery to me recently: how is it that Rob Liefeld manages to find work? :confused:

Everyone (and I do mean everyone) he draws has that grimacing look of all teeth bared, noses smaller than LaToya Jackson's ... I just don't get it.
Basically because Jim Lee took pity on him.

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
He's also famous for drawing shitty feet, or non existent feet. For a while in his career he drew feet off in the background or out of focus, behind something, kicked back behind the body.
Exactly! And the womens' feet would always look like they were in heels, even when they weren't. Hell, even he'd draw the guys' feet like that on occasion. :rolleyes:

Basically because Jim Lee took pity on him.
I think you might be onto something there. :D

What made me think of him was going thru some old comics and I ran across his work on the "Heroes Reborn" Captain America ... which in turn made me think about his "Agent America/Fighting American" blatant ripoff not long afterwards. How did he NOT think he would get sued by Marvel? :doh:

Weirdo890

I've been reading quite a few European comics lately, trying to get myself away from the monopoly that DC and Marvel have on comics. I'm going to offer a few series that people may enjoy.

• Universal War One by Denis Bajram
  • The Incal Classic Collection by Alexandro Jodorowsky and Moebius
  • The Dylan Dog Case Files by Tizlano Sclavi
  • Vampire Boy by Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso

What are your guys' suggestions?

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
I've been reading quite a few European comics lately, trying to get myself away from the monopoly that DC and Marvel have on comics. I'm going to offer a few series that people may enjoy.

• Universal War One by Denis Bajram
  • The Incal Classic Collection by Alexandro Jodorowsky and Moebius
  • The Dylan Dog Case Files by Tizlano Sclavi
  • Vampire Boy by Carlos Trillo and Eduardo Risso

What are your guys' suggestions?
Ive only read the 1st issue of Universal War One, and I LOVE IT!! I really wanna by the hard back. Have you ever checked out Skydoll??

Allie Cat

Ive only read the 1st issue of Universal War One, and I LOVE IT!! I really wanna by the hard back. Have you ever checked out Skydoll??
Good luck finding it. It's pretty darn rare, I seem to recall seeing an average price of like $70 at some point a couple years ago.

I've read Universal War One, all six issues, and Skydoll as well. Both were quite awesome. :)

rickydaniels

https://www.facebook.com/ricky.daniels.bbw.pin.up.
Good luck finding it. It's pretty darn rare, I seem to recall seeing an average price of like $70 at some point a couple years ago.

I've read Universal War One, all six issues, and Skydoll as well. Both were quite awesome. :)
Right on Alicia & Weirdo! I love good obscure comics like that. Lately that seems to be more that what I'm into. If you know of anymore like that please share. I'm always looking from a good read.

My 3 that I'm reading at the moment are-
Trouble Makers- Gilbert Hernandez
The Quitter- Harvey Pekar/ Dean Haspiel
The Alchoholic- Jonathan Ames/ Dean Haspiel

Dean Haspiel's art is really awesome! Very 2D animation style, not very hero comic like.

Allie Cat

Right on Alicia & Weirdo! I love good obscure comics like that. Lately that seems to be more that what I'm into. If you know of anymore like that please share. I'm always looking from a good read.

My 3 that I'm reading at the moment are-
Trouble Makers- Gilbert Hernandez
The Quitter- Harvey Pekar/ Dean Haspiel
The Alchoholic- Jonathan Ames/ Dean Haspiel

Dean Haspiel's art is really awesome! Very 2D animation style, not very hero comic like.
Some others I've enjoyed are Girl Genius, Gunnerkrigg Court (both webcomics but also in print), Powers (about average people in a world with superheroes), Freakangels (hard to really describe this one, kind of similar to Rising Stars but more British and more post-apocalyptic)... um, a lot of the stuff I read is tied into books that I enjoy such as Wheel of Time, A Song of Ice and Fire, and the Drizzt series.

SuperBatAquaGreenFlash

I've been following Batman, Detective Comics, Green Lantern, Green Lantern : New Guardians, and Red Lanterns. Red Lanterns is pretty awful at the moment, but I'm holding onto it, anyway, as Atrocitus is a badass, and I'm hoping an interesting story comes out of him.

Deven

Wendigo
I'm scared:

Watchmen Prequels

Neither Alan Moore nor Dave Gibbons are attached to the project. The Dr. Manhattan one strikes me as weird. The body language is suggesting that he controls Laurie, when what we saw in Watchmen was the complete opposite. He was passive.

I will probably get the Comedian series, though. He's my favorite.

Twilley

I'm scared:

Watchmen Prequels

Neither Alan Moore nor Dave Gibbons are attached to the project. The Dr. Manhattan one strikes me as weird. The body language is suggesting that he controls Laurie, when what we saw in Watchmen was the complete opposite. He was passive.

yeah, just pretending these aren't happening, myself. I mean, didn't we say all we really needed to in the original Watchmen? Must we milk the backstory?

If this leads to Rorschach showing up in the regular DCU, I will divorce myself from DC entirely, and I am a major Bat-fanboy.

Weirdo890

I'm scared:

Watchmen Prequels

I'm of the opinion that all we needed to know about the characters was in the original series. I see it this as DC being desperate to attract readers. They will leave no stone unturned in order to get new readers. I have to agree with Darwyn Cooke that there should be new characters for new times.

Jess87

Man-Bat Groupie
They managed to get great writers to helm it. So, I guess there's that. Brian Azzarello is absolutely fantastic and I'm almost inclined to check out Comedian. It's just too weird. Watchmen was a complete story and not really about the characters so pulling them out and giving them a back story makes no sense.

If this leads to Rorschach showing up in the regular DCU, I will divorce myself from DC entirely, and I am a major Bat-fanboy.
I'm torn. An Aquaman/Rorschach team up would be so horrific I wouldn't be able to not read all of it.

Hozay J Garseeya

Rooder. Crooder. Neuter.
somewhat comic related. I got to meet Phil Ortiz, character creator and artist on the show for the first two seasons and active artist on the Simpsons Comic book. Super cool guy, awesome, friendly, great to talk to. Anyways, he simpsonized me. It was such an honor to have him do that for me. He CREATED CHARACTERS FROM THE SHOW!! A legend indeed.

View attachment 422726_10150575332893736_614728735_9085526_1706592206_n.jpg

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
somewhat comic related. I got to meet Phil Ortiz, character creator and artist on the show for the first two seasons and active artist on the Simpsons Comic book. Super cool guy, awesome, friendly, great to talk to. Anyways, he simpsonized me. It was such an honor to have him do that for me. He CREATED CHARACTERS FROM THE SHOW!! A legend indeed.

View attachment 100939
"Excellent...." (in Mr. Burns' voice)

Weirdo890

A few weeks ago, I asked in one of the threads if anybody knew of any good world history books. Well, I just happen to find a really good one, and in comics form no less.

Cartoon History of the Universe Vol. 1 by Larry Gonick is a thorough, yet humorous lookm at the history of our world and the universe, from the Big Bang tot he age of Alexander the Great. I enjoy the cartoony style the history is presented in. The little jokes help you to remember the basic facts of the times. I hope to find Volumes 2 and #, as well as The Cartoon History of the Modern World Vols. 1 - 2. This is a good way to introduce kids and adults alike to world history.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts