Quantcast

comic book nerds UNITE!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
As long as they're not pushy I like being able to just walk into a store and instantly get into a friendly debate about the merits of a certain book or writer.
I'll never understand extroverts :huh:

In my younger days if a stranger had tried to talk to me about something like that I would have found a suddent need to go see if my bus was coming, then probably would have avoided that shop for a while. (These days I'd say something non-commital and try to use body language to show I wasn't interested in talking about it). Probably why I never got into the convention scene either....but I guess I can see how those sorts of connections could help keep you involved in the genre.

Weirdo890

I have never run into one of those "Comic Book Guy" types. The guy who runs the comic book store I go to in Seattle is a really nice guy. He and I got into a conversation about Moebius (R.I.P.) and the work of Alexandro Jodorowsky. This is great, since I have heard some horror stories about comic-book shop owners.

FA Punk

''Comics have gotten a lot more mainstream so a shop nowadays is more often staffed by normal people and has the layout of a Starbucks.''
I hate that myself, I mean a comicbook shop should look and feel like a comicbook shop! If I ever get my dream of owning my own comicbook store off the ground it won't look like a damn Starbucks, it will sell video games though:D!

FA Punk

Who are your guys' favorite comic book artists/cartoonists?
My number one has been and always will be Jack Kirby! Call me old school if'ya want but where the hell would comicbooks be without Jack Kirby:confused:?

Tkscz

My number one has been and always will be Jack Kirby! Call me old school if'ya want but where the hell would comicbooks be without Jack Kirby:confused:?
DC pissed me off when they started killing off his work for shock value to lead up to Final Crisis.

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
Who are your guys' favorite comic book artists/cartoonists?
One of my favorites from the 90's was Brett Booth ... his work on the Backlash/Spider-Man two issue series comes to mind ... also liked Stephen Platt's work on Moon Knight ... he was a guy that came out of nowhere to wrap up work on a regular series that was slated for cancellation. It was kinda heavy on the pencils but I liked it anyway. I remember when I first saw the cover for #55 and the first thing I thought was "McFarlane is doing Moon Knight now?!?!?" Wasn't a fan of Platt's "Prophet" stuff though.

Weirdo890

I have too many to name, but one of my favorites is Steve Ditko. His boundless imagination and terrific storytelling are an inspiration. I don't agree with his politics, but I respect him for his tenacity and independence.

ClashCityRocker

Outer Space Potato Man
I was positive there was a whole page of posts on here about the New Watchmen series out. Anyone pick it up the first issue?
not yet, but soon. i'm a bit skeptical, as i LOVE the original watchmen, but we'll see. i might be surprised.

as for favorite artists, i'd say alex ross, hands down. another of my favorite graphic novels ever is kingdom come, which was drawn by ross. the overall aesthetic is almost reminescent of norman rockwell-style art, w/obvious graphic novel garnishing. check him out if you havent..he's worked on some classics.

thatpumpkin

Shy lurker
Do you guys go to the comic book shop? What kind of experiences have you had there? Have you ever met the "Comic-Book Guy" types?
Oh my yes, went into the local comic shop to get rid of my yu-gi-oh cards one day. The man behind the counter looked like he'd been pulled right out of the simpsons. He leafed through the entire deck and declared 'he' didnt want any of them because they weren't rare or current enough. Despite the fact that the store has a bin just full of old commons for sale. The fact that he was overweight didnt bother me at all, it was his surley attitude and lack of hygiene. I still have the cards too.

Nenona

I first walked into a comic shop when I was 16... and the guys playing D&D in the small town shop acted like I was freaking Princess Leia. It became a normal hang out (it was also next to a small bookstore that I frequented, the owners and I becoming such good friends that I didn't buy books. I'd bring them a sackful of my old used ones and could take a reasonable amount in exchange [they were a new/used bookstore.])

I even went on a few dates with a guy that hung out there, but he was unfortunately a Yankee while I was a Rebel (no, seriously... he was a Civil War re-en actor.) We didn't really stop seeing each other for that reason, but it was a "no chemistry" deal.

We'd be gaming (be it tabletop or console) all afternoon, and food came, and no one would ever tell me my total. Like, I'd give the owner a 10 (he always ordered for the gang) and refused to ever take my money. Told me I was good for a customer draw just by having girl parts...

I still talk to and love them to pieces. We play D&D when we can together now.

I was spoiled.
I'm jealous, because I got the exact opposite reception whenever I went, and I always had to go with guy friends otherwise I'd get an immediate barrage of trivia questions and if I couldn't answer all of them, they'd call me "not a real fan" and then shoot me glares anytime I tried to look at any of the comics.
Yeah, I'd already read Sandman, Fray, the 8th season of Buffy, all the Fables Trades, Batman: The Long Halloween, Madame Xanadu(which got cancelled after 27 issues), and I had read into the classic superhero stories, and I'd even drawn up a list of comics I might be interested in getting--I really like the ones that are either futuristic or steampunk--the non-meat-and-potatoes of comics, so to speak, because there's so much more you can do with the medium of drawing. It's why Freakangels is probably one of my favorite comic series, I've reread it three times now.

But nope, not enough. Definitely not enough. I wasn't allowed to be there, because I hadn't read every comic ever and I didn't know Dr. Doom's real name and I hadn't watched all the superhero movies that were out, even though they had horrible reviews.
Yes, I get angry when people get judgy.
I've introduced people to anime and tons of other mediums and I've always told them "you're not required to like or know everything, you just have to like what you like, and don't apologize for it."

Latest posts