Condescending Doctors

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
I'm sure as fellow fat people, you've had your share of annoyances when it comes to doctors, but have you ever had one that really got under your skin by being condescending?

Yesterday, I had a followup for a surgery I had recently and the guy was seriously being such a dick. I mean, I expect to hear the "you need to lose weight" shpiel every time I see a medical professional, but this time was exceedingly annoying.

Every time I asked him about a symptom I was having, he'd reply with something about the weight being my problem. He actually said "If you keep gaining, you're going to have a significantly shorter lifespan. All the medication in the world won't do a thing if you're still eating cheesesteaks." The tone and inflection he used really irked me to the point where I almost lashed out at him.

I'm sorry, but I've been fat for almost 15 years and you think I don't know that is has bearing on my health and well-being? You think I just looked down one day and said "oh... uh... wow... I AM fat... sheesh." I live with it every day and I'm well aware of its limitations, problems, and (sexy) benefits.

I apologize for the rant, but this really annoyed me. Anyone else have similar experiences?

BLK360

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/Sweetcheekin,
I actually had a doctor when I was younger who called me a crying little shit and held me down so he could take a blood sample. I was afraid of needles, but I was also just a kid...they held me down and he bad mouthed me while extracting blood. "Is that alright now pussy boy? Are you done crying like a little girl?" It was pretty fucked up. So...doctor's aren't my favorite people.

Edit: Also...fuck your doctor, cheesesteak is awesome.

Broadside

My face was tingling slightly with pins and needles, along with my ear a bit and it freaked me out. I went to my regular doctor at the time and she said

"It's because you weight too much, your spine is compressing and pinching nerves, now are you going to commit to loosing weight like we've discussed before"

I said:

"Actually you are the one who keeps bringing it up, and are you sure it's that? I weighed about 200lbs less than I used to and I never had a problem like this before?"

"Oh I'm certain"

"....uh huh. Well tell ya what doc, I promise you next time I step foot in this office I will have lost weight, how's that sound?"

"Good, do you need any he.."

"No, thanks, I know what I need to do"

I walked out and found a new doctor that afternoon. :D

Turns out I had hyperparathyroidism and that is one of the rarer symptoms (your face can tingle for alot of reasons). If I had listened to that doc I would have bone problems today. Damned quack.

bettylulu

My mom had diverticulitis. In case people don't know, it's when one of the little pockets in your intestine becomes inflamed (usually it's because of a particle of food gets stuck in there) and you get an infection. People prone to diverticulitis have to avoid things with seeds (like strawberries, tomatoes), things with skins (apples, grapes, popcorn), nuts, and basically anything with little parts. She had to go in to the doctor for a follow up visit, but her regular doctor was too busy so they suggested she see his new partner.

So she goes in and this guy goes on and on about how she wouldn't have this problem if she wasn't so obese and she needs to lose at least 50 pounds or risk getting this again, blah blah blah...Like you said, he was extremely condescending. She asked him about a special diet for diverticulitis. He said they do not have to follow a special diet (um..what???), but that he has these miraculous diet pills that coincidentally just came in. She asked about the side effects and they were all gastrointestinal! WHY would you push diet pills that effect the intestines to someone with intestinal issues?!?!?

Bottom line- he was a rude ass.

She changed doctors and went to a doctor who used to in practice with her old doctor. She told him that so many people had become her patients after dealing with Dr. Ass. She said one person actually came to their office straight from Dr. Ass's office wrapped in a blanket over their winter coat because they couldn't get warm. Dr. Ass sent them away saying they just had the flu and there was nothing he could do. She took one listen to his lungs, sent him over to the clinic for a chest X-ray. He had double pneumonia! So, I guess he didn't reserve his assholery ways for just fat people. He spread the love to everyone.

xxeell

When I become a doctor, I promise to never be a condescending prick.

MaryElizabethAntoinette

Beauty is Relative
Doctors can be judgmental jerks no matter what your size. I remember back when I was 15/16, I had severe stomach problems where I could barely eat and whenever I did eat I would throw up.
So I went to the doctor to try and figure out what was wrong and within 5 minutes of seeing me she came to the conclusion that it was all in my head and I was probably anorexic or bulimic. She just looked at me, saw that I was small, and figured that I must have an eating disorder.

Since I (and my parents) knew that there was no way I was anorexic or bulimic, we went to a different doctor. The new doctor arranged for me to have an endoscopy and that was when they discovered that I had such severe acid reflux that my stomach lining was being eaten away.

Needless to say, the doctor that misdiagnosed me isn't working as a doctor in the state of Massachusetts anymore. I made sure of that.

SlightlyMorbid

Darth Cuddles
Our doctor's fine thankfully.

They always remind ron of his weight but they're never condescending over it, more like it's a matter of formality.

Same with me, they tell me to quit smoking but my own doctor smokes as well, so yeah, he knows he has no room for talk =P

BeerMe

In the past few years, I've never visited a doctor and not had my weight become the main topic. Most approach it in a nice way so I just nod politely until we finally get to what I'm there for.

One younger doctor was a real prick, though, and encouraged me to lose weight by thinking of how handsome I'll look. I wanted to stab his eyes out with a tongue depressor

SlightlyMorbid

Darth Cuddles
In the past few years, I've never visited a doctor and not had my weight become the main topic. Most approach it in a nice way so I just nod politely until we finally get to what I'm there for.

One younger doctor was a real prick, though, and encouraged me to lose weight by thinking of how handsome I'll look. I wanted to stab his eyes out with a tongue depressor

Lobotomy or death by needles dipped in acid is more fun.

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
Doctors can be judgmental jerks no matter what your size. I remember back when I was 15/16, I had severe stomach problems where I could barely eat and whenever I did eat I would throw up.
So I went to the doctor to try and figure out what was wrong and within 5 minutes of seeing me she came to the conclusion that it was all in my head and I was probably anorexic or bulimic. She just looked at me, saw that I was small, and figured that I must have an eating disorder.

Since I (and my parents) knew that there was no way I was anorexic or bulimic, we went to a different doctor. The new doctor arranged for me to have an endoscopy and that was when they discovered that I had such severe acid reflux that my stomach lining was being eaten away.

Needless to say, the doctor that misdiagnosed me isn't working as a doctor in the state of Massachusetts anymore. I made sure of that.

Ugh, that really annoys me to hear. Small-framed, skinny people are always assumed to have eating disorders.

I had another instance where I went in for a sinus infection and the lady spent over a half hour trying to counsel me about dieting and even pulled out a diet book to recommend to me. I wanted to slap her.

My normal doctor is a really nice guy and he's been our family physician for over 20 years, but this was a lady I had to see because he wasn't in that day. Suffice to say, I never went to her again.

The aforementioned doctor in my topic post is also not someone I see normally. He just didn't the surgery. He's an asshole.

I feel for all of you in this thread because my sister has had ongoing, chronic health problems her whole life and she has been misdiagnosed so many times that it's laughable. And she has chronic pain and they're always stingy with meds even though, after taking painkillers for 10+ years for chronic pain, she has such a high tolerance, but they won't acknowledge it. They start her off at small doses every time. She's no addict and it's not even like she gets a buzz off of it, it's just to take the edge off the severe pain.

At least I can confide in her and have someone who empathizes when doctors piss me off.

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
Our doctor's fine thankfully.

They always remind ron of his weight but they're never condescending over it, more like it's a matter of formality.

Same with me, they tell me to quit smoking but my own doctor smokes as well, so yeah, he knows he has no room for talk =P

See, this is how my normal doctor is. He's nice about it but he always mentions it. He's fat too. I understand it's a formality in the profession, but you don't have to talk to me like a child. That's my top pet peeve.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
My doctor is so laid back he walks into the exam room and goes, 'Oh THANK GOD it's you.' and he sits back on his stool and bitches about his life for twenty minutes, points to the decal poster on his wall about some kind of diet system he's pushing and says, 'Well, I'm supposed to say yadda yadda yadda but you get the jist of it.' I tell him to shove it up his ass and he gives me a lollipop and a new script for Xanax. I love that man but I tell him if he pinches my ass one more time I'm drop-kicking him.

He calls me Princess.

They always do. ;)

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
Like Mary, I had doctors telling me that I was anorexic for my entire childhood...except that I wasn't. :rolleyes:

It's hard to find a GP with common sense (a younger one, at least), but that isn't surprising at all when you look at how the med schools select students. Let's just say that money and volunteer work BS are more valuable than actual undergrad marks.....

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
I'm sure as fellow fat people, you've had your share of annoyances when it comes to doctors, but have you ever had one that really got under your skin by being condescending?

Yesterday, I had a followup for a surgery I had recently and the guy was seriously being such a dick. I mean, I expect to hear the "you need to lose weight" shpiel every time I see a medical professional, but this time was exceedingly annoying.

Every time I asked him about a symptom I was having, he'd reply with something about the weight being my problem. He actually said "If you keep gaining, you're going to have a significantly shorter lifespan. All the medication in the world won't do a thing if you're still eating cheesesteaks." The tone and inflection he used really irked me to the point where I almost lashed out at him.

I'm sorry, but I've been fat for almost 15 years and you think I don't know that is has bearing on my health and well-being? You think I just looked down one day and said "oh... uh... wow... I AM fat... sheesh." I live with it every day and I'm well aware of its limitations, problems, and (sexy) benefits.

I apologize for the rant, but this really annoyed me. Anyone else have similar experiences?

That's when you need to say, "Stop. I know who I am and what my deal is" and if he still carries on, just leave. Empathy is at least 50% of a physician's job, so he fails miserably.

But then again, I don't take bullshit from anyone. ;)

Ninja Glutton

Film and Music Geek
That's when you need to say, "Stop. I know who I am and what my deal is" and if he still carries on, just leave. Empathy is at least 50% of a physician's job, so he fails miserably.

But then again, I don't take bullshit from anyone. ;)

I just don't have much of a choice since he was the surgeon and has to do the followup for his own procedure.

I'm more the passive-aggressive, get back at him backhandedly kind of person. :D

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
I just don't have much of a choice since he was the surgeon and has to do the followup for his own procedure.

I'm more the passive-aggressive, get back at him backhandedly kind of person. :D

Ok. Then next time, call me. You'll be walking down the hall while i'm still in the exam room ripping him a new one. :happy:

Latest posts