Quantcast

Curious about your opinions on stories written in first person

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Corey

Corey
Some of my favorite novels use that. The truth is that all writers, even when you’re taking on the third person “narrator voice,” have flaws in perspective, so when you create a flawed narrator you’re acknowledging what already happens and maybe becoming more aware of perspective as you write.

Also, I write in notes too, just so it’s not in the same place on my computer as my schoolwork, you know?
I completely get that. It would turn me off to scroll through my school documents to get to the good stuff. Also, knowing me, I’d accidentally send a raunchy writing document to my professor instead of the intended assignment. How many semesters do you have left to go?

Shh! Don’t tell!

I completely get that. It would turn me off to scroll through my school documents to get to the good stuff. Also, knowing me, I’d accidentally send a raunchy writing document to my professor instead of the intended assignment. How many semesters do you have left to go?
just one and it’s online because of covid. The “accidentally sending my professor my extracurricular writing” scenario is like my exact fear. I always get crushes on professors so I can’t even imagine the mortification if that happened, I’d have to like transfer schools or something.

Rojodi

Growing up, I had the pleasure of reading old pulp fictions and noirs. They were in first person, but very well written. If you ever have a chance, read them in the perspective of a Creative Writing student. So worth while.

Second person - the "You did this" and "You did that" - is kind of annoying to me.

Rojodi

just one and it’s online because of covid. The “accidentally sending my professor my extracurricular writing” scenario is like my exact fear. I always get crushes on professors so I can’t even imagine the mortification if that happened, I’d have to like transfer schools or something.
I wonder if my English Comp professor would have corrected it. She probably would have, seeing that she was an open-minded woman.

Would have had so many red edit pen of death marks on it, comments throughout .

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
okay so this isn’t a juicy story I sent to a professor but it’s similar. The other day I was working from home and it was insanely nice outside. I decided I was going to work in style and got out the sun tan lotion, swim trunks, and brought my work computer outside. I placed it in the shade and lay down right next to it on the patio, taking to below picture and sending to my wife.

Except the top message in my texts was actually my boss and I sent it so fast with the message “tough day at the office” that I didn’t notice until it was too late.

Waiting for her reply was agonizing! I didn’t know if I should send her another text saying sorry that was for my wife or what. So I just hoped maybe she wouldn’t notice.

she did. 😫 but fortunately for me she was actually amused. But she definitely has given me shit about it since!
EAD71890-56DB-4291-A69A-1753C5DE574D.jpeg

Corey

Corey
True story....when I was in college, webcam pics were a huge thing. My boyfriend at the time was long distance, so to keep things alive, I’d send him risqué photos of myself via email. One night, I was JUST about to push send, like finger on the send button close, when I realized that it wasn’t my boyfriend’s email but a professors email with the same first name. My heart still beats fast just thinking about it. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ CRIIIIIIIIINNNNNGE.

(*EDITED TO ADD* thanks to @Rojodi who reminded me of what truly happened) The ghosts must have prevented me from pushing send, because I could have sworn that I pushed it.

Last edited:

Rojodi

True story....when I was in college, webcam pics were a huge thing. My boyfriend at the time was long distance, so to keep things alive, I’d send him risqué photos of myself via email. One night, I was JUST about to push send, like finger on the send button close, when I realized that it wasn’t my boyfriend’s email but a professors email with the same first name. My heart still beats fast just thinking about it. I have no idea how it didn’t send, because I could have sworn that I pushed it. 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️ CRIIIIIIIIINNNNNGE.
Ghosts in the room prevented it? 🤷‍♂️

Rojodi

That makes the story more interesting, so I’m going with it. Yes, the ghosts prevented it. Hold on and let me edit my story real quick.
Electronic glitch at the right moment is most likely, but since I believe in ghosts...LOL

Rojodi

I edited my story. It’s a good one to tell now.
I have many true ghost stories, from one of our cats being pushed backwards to college roommates not being able to open the front door late at night.

happily_married

I’m going to add a question to the one @Corey asked.

how many of you when you do write first person write present tense? I have done it with some work and recently finished a draft of a piece written predominantly in present tense. It introduces additional challenges, but it’s fun to do.

Anyone else play with this?

Rojodi

how many of you when you do write first person write present tense? I have done it with some work and recently finished a draft of a piece written predominantly in present tense. It introduces additional challenges, but it’s fun to do.

Good writing exercise. I've tried it but gave up. The story didn't sound right in my head.

Metallicalover99

I enjoy reading stories in the first and even third person. Not so much in second person, but everyone enjoys something different! I have immensely enjoyed reading your wonderful story in the first person! It reads almost as if it were a novel!

Corey

Corey
I enjoy reading stories in the first and even third person. Not so much in second person, but everyone enjoys something different! I have immensely enjoyed reading your wonderful story in the first person! It reads almost as if it were a novel!
You are so kind, @Metallicalover99 ❤

I’m not a big of second person, either. It seems that third person narrative is a favorite for most.

happily_married

You are so kind, @Metallicalover99 ❤

I’m not a big of second person, either. It seems that third person narrative is a favorite for most.
when I was a kid I used to read these books that were all written in 2nd person. The series was called “choose your own adventure” and you didn’t read from start to finish. You’d get to decision points in the story and have to pick.

So if you’re running from a bad guy or whatever and there’s a place to hide or, say a stranger offers help: you have to pick one or the other and whichever you pick would determine what page you’d go to next.

They were for kids (pre-teens) though, not the kind of 2nd person stuff people seem to be talking about here!🤣

Corey

Corey
Choose Your Own Adventure:​

You stuff two large cookies into your greedy mouth and begin to chew quickly, almost alarmingly so, like a bat out of hell. You can’t get caught again. Not tonight. It will bring great shame upon your family’s name. Your mother’s last words loop in your head like a piercing squawk, “Now Count, be a nice little boy and keep your fat fingers out of the host’s cookie jar this time.” Are you a child? No, you are not. You are at least a hundred years old, and you don’t like to be told what to do.

All of a sudden, a light flicks on in the kitchen, just on the other side of the cracked pantry door. Your heart races faster in your chest as you peak over your pudgy shoulder in fear. What will be your excuse this time? You don’t know. You don’t think of the consequence when cookies are involved.

You’re too afraid to move. The pantry opens so slow that the rusted bolt draws out a prolonged squeak. The cookies feel like lead as they slide heavily down your throat. You realize this may be your last time to ever taste the sweetness of heaven again, so you panic and stuff the remaining cookies inside of your mouth, right in front of the monster himself.

The only thing separating you and the monster is your fat belly speckled with cookie crumbs. It’s a big belly, indeed. The monster looks you up and down before he opens up his hairy mouth to speak.

What does Cookie Monster say to Count?

Turn to page 3 for Cookie Monster to say, “Me kick your ass big time!”

Turn to page 4 for Cookie Monster to say, “Me want to rub your big, fat belly.”

damnit, @happily_married, I meant to add this on your post. 😂

happily_married

@Corey

that was hilarious! DI’d you read those books ever? They in print from the late 70s through the late 90s as far as I know.

And as I read “my” adventure I couldn’t help but feel a subtle inclination on your part to fatten me up! 😜

Shotha

DM Supporter

That's technically referred to as the "historic present". It's often used for dramatic effect, as it brings the narrative to life because it treats the past as now. It also sound very colloquial and so brings the narrator vividly to life. In ghost stories, mysteries and thrillers it can enhance the atmosphere. It has the reader on edge and watching out for ghosts and villains. Such a use of the present historic gives a sense of urgency to the narrative. "I've got to let other people know about this, before it/they get me..."

Latest posts