Curious about your opinions on stories written in first person

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Personally, I can only write stories from a fist person point of view. Obviously, my experience is limited and no one really likes what I write (except @wrenchboy ).

But I say, do as you feel and what makes you comfortable when writing. The good thing is that writing in first person, you only have to worry about one voice. Best of luck!!!!

Rojodi

How about this for a contender:

Once upon a time I knew this girl who was really skinny. Then she got fat. We all laughed.
The End
Most of the cheerleaders I graduated high school with were that story
Two I met at a BBW bash, and they were happier!

Corey

Corey
Here's my excruciatingly worst short story.

Green slime flew out of the telly.
We all got very fat.
Next day everything went back to normal.
That’s not the equivalent length of a short story! What you wrote is a hallmark card!

Shotha

DM Supporter
That’s not the equivalent length of a short story! What you wrote is a hallmark card!
@Corey You've been reading those rule books again.
Who gives rules about the minimum length of a short story?
And who would want such an excruciatingly bad story as this to be any longer?

wrenchboy

Personally, I can only write stories from a fist person point of view. Obviously, my experience is limited and no one really likes what I write (except @wrenchboy ).

But I say, do as you feel and what makes you comfortable when writing. The good thing is that writing in first person, you only have to worry about one voice. Best of luck!!!!
I am sure that many others have enjoyed your work but have not commented or put a like to it.
I published a story here that got very little feedback. Very frustrating. Was it good? I thought so or I wouldn't have published it. I did get a great deal of satisfaction writing it.
Unfortunately there are not many people on the Dims boards so that also lends to the small number of responses.
I also only write from the first person. It brings more emotion when the story is told that way. Makes it more believable even if it is a purely fictional tale.

Corey

Corey
@Corey You've been reading those rule books again.
Who gives rules about the minimum length of a short story?
And who would want such an excruciatingly bad story as this to be any longer?

You’re right, Shotha. I must have fallen on my head again and forgotten what we stand for. We are 🗣The Shitty Story Crew, 🗣 and we write good for nothing, terrible stories because we don’t follow the rules and we answer to no one because rules are for people who like to write good stories, which we don’t and I know this is a long, nonsensical run-on sentence, and to answer your question no I am not drunk, I’m just a rebellious human who only follows one rule: I use my turn signal when changing lanes and when turning. Turn signals are essential to everyone around us, and no one should break this rule, ever.

Shotha

DM Supporter
You’re right, Shotha. I must have fallen on my head again and forgotten what we stand for. We are 🗣The Shitty Story Crew, 🗣 and we write good for nothing, terrible stories because we don’t follow the rules and we answer to no one because rules are for people who like to write good stories, which we don’t and I know this is a long, nonsensical run-on sentence, and to answer your question no I am not drunk, I’m just a rebellious human who only follows one rule: I use my turn signal when changing lanes and when turning. Turn signals are essential to everyone around us, and no one should break this rule, ever.
Rule books are for bad writers. Shakespeare never had a rule book.

stevita

like the pancake
Please tell this to every driver in Houston thx

Corey

Corey
Please tell this to every driver in Houston thx
🗣 OKAY LISTEN UP ALL YOU HOUSTON
HOO-HAA’S WHO DON’T USE THEIR TURN SIGNAL...USE YOUR DAMN TURN SIGNAL or else you’ll have bad luck for 7 years. 🗣

I also sent emails out to everyone in Houston, you just didn’t get one because I figured you didn’t need a reminder. You should be good to go now.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
Hell, out here in the DC area a turn signal is the surest way to miss your turn. I’ve lived on the West Coast (Los Angeles, San Diego, Monterey, which involved a lot of trips/driving in the San Francisco area) and in the Denver area. This is the only place I’ve ever lived where people seem to respond to turn signals by pacing the car signaling in what appears to be a deliberate effort to prevent them from changing lanes.

I usually witness this on I-95, and as a result I’m halfway through a lane change before my signals comes on. East Coast drivers are assholes. In some ways I’m becoming one! 🤣😖

jakemcduck

Yes, they do that in Houston too. It was the first place where I witnessed people stomping on the gas to cut you off when you hit your signal to change lanes.

happily_married

Back to the subject at hand,

I recently had the good fortune of recovering a partial draft of a story I’d initially started 5 years ago. I intended to convert this from a first person male perspective to a third person female but there are too many nuances for that. So im reworking it in its original perspective. Once complete I am going to focus on other voices because several of the stories I’ve been working on have been in first person.

Last edited:

maltesefalcon

There is another very good reason for third person narrative.
The narration can provide some background explanation or technical/historical details that would not be available or would be absurd in first person.

It is much harder in film where most of the action is somewhat first or second person. Without an actual narrator (or cue subtexts) the movie can be so inside baseball no one knows what is going on.

For example in Saving Private Ryan, the main purpose of Private Upham is to insert a rookie who knows nothing so that the rest of the team can explain to him what they are doing and why.

However the entire movie is a classic failure of first person narrative. The story begins with the older Ryan in a cemetery and flashes back first person literally through his eyes to Omaha Beach. But he was a paratrooper and was never there for the fight! Neither was Upham, a clerk typist. Most of the characters that filled the action up to the point where they actually found him were killed, so there would be little to no time for them to have told him what it was like either.

You will see on procedurals like CSI, where techs will use first person narrative to "explain" complicated details or technical to a colleague who would already know them. That's when you here the Oh yeah that's right. Or This is not my first rodeo.

happily_married

^ Film has other challenges that writing doesn’t though. The beauty of film is you don’t have to describe the setting, the film sort of does that for you. But it also costs a fortune to shoot a film whereas writing is cheap. So some of the background and technical stuff is easier explained in writing than in movies.
I’ll give screen writers a nod though. That’s not just writing, it’s writing for film. I think that would be an incredibly challenging art form.

Corey

Corey
Hell, out here in the DC area a turn signal is the surest way to miss your turn. I’ve lived on the West Coast (Los Angeles, San Diego, Monterey, which involved a lot of trips/driving in the San Francisco area) and in the Denver area. This is the only place I’ve ever lived where people seem to respond to turn signals by pacing the car signaling in what appears to be a deliberate effort to prevent them from changing lanes.

I usually witness this on I-95, and as a result I’m halfway through a lane change before my signals comes on. East Coast drivers are assholes. In some ways I’m becoming one! 🤣😖
Dallas drivers are the same way, just rude and entitled with major road rage. People from Dallas are just terrible drivers in general. 👎🏼

happily_married

Dallas drivers are the same way, just rude and entitled with major road rage. People from Dallas are just terrible drivers in general. 👎🏼
I was in Dallas for work a few years ago. After dinner with my boss and some colleagues the boss and I dialed up a LYFT. Guy pulls up in a busted up Camry with a plastic sheet taped up in place of one of the windows. I say, “sir get a load of this!” And he brushes me off saying, “Don’t worry about it, it’ll be fine!”

whatever. We get in and this jackass proceeds to get onto I-35 going down the OFFRAMP! The effing OFFRAMP!

I smack my boss on the shoulder and am like, “told you. Now we know why his car is all busted up!”😳🤣

Corey

Corey
I am sure that many others have enjoyed your work but have not commented or put a like to it.
I published a story here that got very little feedback. Very frustrating. Was it good? I thought so or I wouldn't have published it. I did get a great deal of satisfaction writing it.
Unfortunately there are not many people on the Dims boards so that also lends to the small number of responses.
I also only write from the first person. It brings more emotion when the story is told that way. Makes it more believable even if it is a purely fictional tale.
I have also noticed that Dims readers hardly ‘like’ stories or comment on them, with the exception of a handful of stories. Even the stories that have a lot of reader views get little to know comments or ‘likes’. It baffles my mind. I lurked for several months before joining Dims, and after I did, I almost immediately began writing my own story. I haven’t read anyone else’s story since before then. BUT, in the future, when I do read a story I like, I will for sure let them know. Recreational writers deserve to know that others are enjoying their stories.

In fact, I’ll go ahead and list the authors whose stories I binge read, and then re-read again.

@agouderia- She was the first writer I saw on Dims. I’ve read all of her stories, but Energetic Expansions takes the cake for me, with 525 trailing closely behind. I bet I’ve read Energetic Expansions 5-6 times, and that thing is longer than a collection of encyclopedias. Her stories are well written with thought out characters and a wonderful plot line.

@Xyantha Reborn- I came across her stories shortly after I told myself I should probably branch out and step away from only reading agouderia’s stories. I fell in love with Xyantha’s strong female protagonists and I really appreciated her erotic approach. Besides her writing, I just love Xyantha as a person and how she gets others to join in on discussing intellectual things. She hasn’t signed on in a while, but I miss her! She was also the first person to reach out and encourage me through personal messages. She’s a gem!

@Unbasher- I was still a lurker when she was finishing off The Improved You, but I waited very patiently and checked in almost daily for updates.

@Shh! Don’t tell!- I came across your story unintentionally and immediately got hooked. I related to both of your characters’ dry humor and wit, and I loved how you executed it with perfection.

@jakemcduck- I read your stories in DA maybe 4-5 years ago, way before I ever discovered Dims. I believe your story is called something close to Crossing the Chunky. Your story was the very first weight gain fiction I read where I didn’t cringe or get upset at because you didn’t make the weight gain seem unrealistic. Max’s character, 👌🏼. He did it for me.

Anyway, I’m going to go and put a ‘like’ on my favorite stories from these authors, just because they deserve it.

Corey

Corey
There is another very good reason for third person narrative.
The narration can provide some background explanation or technical/historical details that would not be available or would be absurd in first person.

It is much harder in film where most of the action is somewhat first or second person. Without an actual narrator (or cue subtexts) the movie can be so inside baseball no one knows what is going on.

For example in Saving Private Ryan, the main purpose of Private Upham is to insert a rookie who knows nothing so that the rest of the team can explain to him what they are doing and why.

However the entire movie is a classic failure of first person narrative. The story begins with the older Ryan in a cemetery and flashes back first person literally through his eyes to Omaha Beach. But he was a paratrooper and was never there for the fight! Neither was Upham, a clerk typist. Most of the characters that filled the action up to the point where they actually found him were killed, so there would be little to no time for them to have told him what it was like either.

You will see on procedurals like CSI, where techs will use first person narrative to "explain" complicated details or technical to a colleague who would already know them. That's when you here the Oh yeah that's right. Or This is not my first rodeo.
I never saw Saving Private Ryan, but I get what you’re saying. I shift between two characters, a wife and a husband, so it’s easier for background and other things to be told and understood. I also have my characters have flashbacks for backstory.

Latest posts