Quantcast

Curious about your opinions on stories written in first person

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Corey

Corey
I was in Dallas for work a few years ago. After dinner with my boss and some colleagues the boss and I dialed up a LYFT. Guy pulls up in a busted up Camry with a plastic sheet taped up in place of one of the windows. I say, “sir get a load of this!” And he brushes me off saying, “Don’t worry about it, it’ll be fine!”

whatever. We get in and this jackass proceeds to get onto I-35 going down the OFFRAMP! The effing OFFRAMP!

I smack my boss on the shoulder and am like, “told you. Now we know why his car is all busted up!”😳🤣
I’m just sorry you had to ever witness I-35 as a visitor to Dallas. 😂 No joke, I-35 is THE WORST, especially when you get near the college towns. The first time I drove on a highway alone was when I was almost 21 years old. I only took the backroads because Dallas drivers scared the living daylights out of me on the highways. When I moved away from home for college, it took me an extra hour and a half to get home just because of the backroads. I didn’t care.

jakemcduck

Thank you so much, Corey! That means a lot to me. I was still learning to write when I wrote Crossing the Chunky but it's one that I enjoyed writing very much. I got the idea when I was driving on a route that often took me down I-59 in Mississippi and I kept seeing the sign for the Chunky River and I kept thinking, there's a story there. But thank you so much, you made my night. I hope you've enjoyed my other yarns as well. They're an ongoing project.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
Thank you Corey for your comment - I'm much honored and touched.

I actually have been using some time in this crisis to pull together the loose ends of Alex&Alex's story, so I hope to finally finish it in the not too distant future.

Regarding the general theme of this thread: 1st person fiction is a recognized and acclaimed literary genre - and I've also written some myself.

Nevertheless, since I've started moderating the Dims Library here, I've developed a major allergy against it.

Why? From a plain empirical perspective, nothing here has a worse completion record than 1st person BBW stories.

That probably has to do with writers starting a story after being majorly impressed or moved by something. That let's most of them get writing with a flourish without putting too much thought into the overall plot line or character development.

Catching up on that after the initial inspiration is gone is much more difficult, especially for amateur writers with little time.

We naturally also have some beautiful 1st person stories here on Dims, but if asked for advice to give to beginner writers of fat fiction, it would always be to start out with a subjective perspective 3rd person narrative and plot that well.

Salacious Caitlin

First person is hard to write (as I work on the next chapter of my first-person novella...) I think writers tend to gravitate toward it because it seems easier, but the character really has to have a strong and unique voice or the narrative can become bland. A bit of unreliable narrator (the character isn't telling you everything/doesn't know everything/is wrong about stuff) helps.

Corey

Corey
Thank you Corey for your comment - I'm much honored and touched.

I actually have been using some time in this crisis to pull together the loose ends of Alex&Alex's story, so I hope to finally finish it in the not too distant future.

Regarding the general theme of this thread: 1st person fiction is a recognized and acclaimed literary genre - and I've also written some myself.

Nevertheless, since I've started moderating the Dims Library here, I've developed a major allergy against it.

Why? From a plain empirical perspective, nothing here has a worse completion record than 1st person BBW stories.

That probably has to do with writers starting a story after being majorly impressed or moved by something. That let's most of them get writing with a flourish without putting too much thought into the overall plot line or character development.

Catching up on that after the initial inspiration is gone is much more difficult, especially for amateur writers with little time.

We naturally also have some beautiful 1st person stories here on Dims, but if asked for advice to give to beginner writers of fat fiction, it would always be to start out with a subjective perspective 3rd person narrative and plot that well.
I have also noticed that writers tend to not finish their stories, and it always seems to be the best stories, too. I never realized that it was mostly first person narrative, though. Interesting!

Well, you can bet your bottom dollar that I will finish my story. I now have a steady plot line, but my current issue is finding the time and space to write my story with the brain energy needed for it to be good. I’ve been working on it every chance that I get, and I also have some future bits and chapters written so that I can add on when I reach that part (and tweak if needed). I just hate posting little entries here and there, but sometimes I have no other choice.

I’m so glad that Energetic Expansions will get its day of completion! I’m looking forward to it.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I have also noticed that writers tend to not finish their stories, and it always seems to be the best stories, too. I never realized that it was mostly first person narrative, though. Interesting!
This is why these days I always finish a story before I post it. However, because stories can take a lot of time to write, I publish them in installments. To me it just makes so little sense to spend months writing a story and then let the readers' enjoyment last but a single evening.

Shotha

DM Supporter
if asked for advice to give to beginner writers of fat fiction, it would always be to start out with a subjective perspective 3rd person narrative and plot that well.
Plot is very important in story writing. I have very strong feelings about this issue. A random series of events is not a story. Events should flow on from each other in terms of cause and effect. Time spent sketching the plot is time well spent. I never allow myself to use the "deus ex machina", which I regard as a sign of faulty plotting. I think that the plot should be thoroughly worked out, before writing even starts.

wrenchboy

Shotha, you have a very good point there. When I first started writing my story I had a major(5 year) mental block. Some of the block is that I got to a point and didn't have any idea where I wanted to take the story.
When I started writing again I had to take notes in an outline form because ideas were flowing faster than I was able to write.

Shotha

DM Supporter
Shotha, you have a very good point there. When I first started writing my story I had a major(5 year) mental block. Some of the block is that I got to a point and didn't have any idea where I wanted to take the story.
When I started writing again I had to take notes in an outline form because ideas were flowing faster than I was able to write.
That's exactly the sort of outline that I mean, because I've had exactly the same problem with having to leave a story for a long time and then trying to pick up where I left off. An outline also gives you chance to make up that different threads of the time line fit together. I often write in the chapters of the story in the same document and then it's easy to see what I had planned and where to pick up the writing again.

maltesefalcon

One of the best ways to ensure a good ending and a proper plot flow is to write the first chapter and the last chapter right away, then connect the dots with the rest of the characters and plotlines.

Corey

Corey
One of the best ways to ensure a good ending and a proper plot flow is to write the first chapter and the last chapter right away, then connect the dots with the rest of the characters and plotlines.
A few people have suggested this method to me via private message. I’m definitely going to do this for the next time. Thanks for the tip!

Shotha

DM Supporter
This is a very good tip for beginners. It's another way of saying that a story should have a beginning, a middle and an end. In the beginning most of the main characters should be introduced and we should learn things about them, which will motivate them later on. The situation should be introduced in the beginning, such as aliens are about to invade, a deadly virus is sweeping the globe, Johnny and Jenny "like" each other or whatever. If the story involves magic, the rules by which the magic works should be introduced. In a sci-fi story, we should be introduce to the new science.

The middle of the story should be where most of the action takes place, e.g. how we deal with the invaders, how we fight against the virus, how Johnny and Jenny's relationship evolves.

The end should deal with how the situation is resolved, e.g. the invaders are destroyed or sent home, we discover a cure for the virus, Johnny and Jenny's wedding.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I hope when that story is finished the cure does not involve self injecting with disinfectant...lol. :p
I can assure you that if I every write a story like that Donnie will be among the first to succumb to the pandemic. Anyway it's not the sort of story that I would write. I'd be more likely to write about a virus that makes people fat.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Really late getting into this discussion, and I have nothing particularly well thought out to add, but a few quick thoughts:
  • When I did my stint moderating the library, I began to think of 1st person perspective as the "fantasy perspective." As in, a lot of the stories that post here using it (or start to post here using it) seemed to be more-or-less erotic fantasies, and people wrote them from the perspective they imagined them. (and as Agouderia said, a lot never got finished. I thought of that as the story getting started in an erotic rush, and once their libido dropped they couldn't get back into turning it into a complete story)
  • Very clearly NOT all first person stories here are of that ^^^^ type. There are some great 1st person POV stories here that really are stories, not fantasies. And likewise there are some 3rd person POV stories that sure do look like fantasies and not stories.
  • There is a distinct plot rhythm difference between fantasies and stories, if you end up having to read a bunch of both of them. (and short story structure is a different thing than more traditional story structure ... but other far more educated than I on the topic might have some corrections to that statement?)
  • There is definitely a place here for well written erotic fantasies! They are a genre of their own, and hard to judge by the standards of stories, and probably don't hit as broad an audience as they rely on the reader sharing similar erotic fantasies, but they can be well done. It just doesn't happen as often.
  • I've not written diddly-squat in ages, for various reasons, but most of what I did write was 1st person. Mostly I made the mistake of having aspects of erotic fantasy and of story. Which mostly resulted in a mess, not succeeding very well as either a story or a fantasy due to the conflicting demands of plot pacing. (although I'm still fond of a few of them, despite their very many flaws)
  • I suspect that a lot of the less-readable posts in the library suffer from that same issue of taking a fantasy and trying to put it into a story structure.

Corey

Corey
Really late getting into this discussion, and I have nothing particularly well thought out to add, but a few quick thoughts:
  • When I did my stint moderating the library, I began to think of 1st person perspective as the "fantasy perspective." As in, a lot of the stories that post here using it (or start to post here using it) seemed to be more-or-less erotic fantasies, and people wrote them from the perspective they imagined them. (and as Agouderia said, a lot never got finished. I thought of that as the story getting started in an erotic rush, and once their libido dropped they couldn't get back into turning it into a complete story)
  • Very clearly NOT all first person stories here are of that ^^^^ type. There are some great 1st person POV stories here that really are stories, not fantasies. And likewise there are some 3rd person POV stories that sure do look like fantasies and not stories.
  • There is a distinct plot rhythm difference between fantasies and stories, if you end up having to read a bunch of both of them. (and short story structure is a different thing than more traditional story structure ... but other far more educated than I on the topic might have some corrections to that statement?)
  • There is definitely a place here for well written erotic fantasies! They are a genre of their own, and hard to judge by the standards of stories, and probably don't hit as broad an audience as they rely on the reader sharing similar erotic fantasies, but they can be well done. It just doesn't happen as often.
  • I've not written diddly-squat in ages, for various reasons, but most of what I did write was 1st person. Mostly I made the mistake of having aspects of erotic fantasy and of story. Which mostly resulted in a mess, not succeeding very well as either a story or a fantasy due to the conflicting demands of plot pacing. (although I'm still fond of a few of them, despite their very many flaws)
  • I suspect that a lot of the less-readable posts in the library suffer from that same issue of taking a fantasy and trying to put it into a story structure.
As always, I appreciate your thoughts. I would like for my story to read more as a story to tell versus as an erotic fantasy. It’s hard to pay attention to the pacing and everything else it takes to create something I’d like for it to be, but it is what it is, I guess. I keep thinking back to how great my story could have been if I wrote it about 10 years ago when I was single and living quietly in the comforts of my apartment...kidless and no body to worry about but myself. 😁 I’m glad to hear from you, and I hope all is well.

stevita

like the pancake
As always, I appreciate your thoughts. I would like for my story to read more as a story to tell versus as an erotic fantasy. It’s hard to pay attention to the pacing and everything else it takes to create something I’d like for it to be, but it is what it is, I guess. I keep thinking back to how great my story could have been if I wrote it about 10 years ago when I was single and living quietly in the comforts of my apartment...kidless and no body to worry about but myself. 😁 I’m glad to hear from you, and I hope all is well.
Veering slightly off the topic of this thread, I think you having a family and knowing what it's like in real life lends the story a realistic perspective!

Take all the time you need, we'll patiently await each update!

Corey

Corey
Veering slightly off the topic of this thread, I think you having a family and knowing what it's like in real life lends the story a realistic perspective!

Take all the time you need, we'll patiently await each update!
Ah, thanks for that, @stevita!

Latest posts