Describing "Fat" in a way that is decent and preserves the dignity of others

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Skye23

When I hear the term, I immediately picture clothing items at Lane Bryant, where my 5'4" wife has often expressed frustration with designers of plus sized clothes because "not all fat chicks are 5'10" and taller!"

The term to me conveys images of tall women with larger features. I dated one briefly years ago. She was over 6' tall and had big everything. Big think torso, arms, hips, butt, boobs bigger than I knew what to do with! She also wore heels when she and I were out and about so the size disparity was greatly pronounced. Shorter girls I've dated have said plus size applies to taller women.

I'm not sure if there is a rule written somewhere formalizing this claim, but the designers at Lane Bryant seem to agree.
I'm 5'3 in my Sketchers (which add height). Lane Bryant and I only get along from the waist up. I still mourn the passing of Fashion Bug who had jeans that would fit me. I bought all I could when they folded and actively look for my size on Ebay to get spare gently used or new pairs in the style I liked.

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!
I'm 5'3 in my Sketchers (which add height). Lane Bryant and I only get along from the waist up. I still mourn the passing of Fashion Bug who had jeans that would fit me. I bought all I could when they folded and actively look for my size on Ebay to get spare gently used or new pairs in the style I liked.
I remember Fashion Bug. I had a girlfriend who was 5'3" and weight about 350 pounds. She loved that store. She only shopped at Lane Bryant for bras and panties. Sometimes she would bring me with her and let me pick out which ones I wanted to see her in. Ironically enough, this same girl rarely even wore underwear. :confused: My wife also used to bring me Lane Bryant shopping and let me pick which panties I wanted to see her in. :smitten:

wrestlingguy

"Bitter Old Man"
We have these descriptive words.......tall, short, thin, fat. Interesting how only the word fat (to a lesser extent short) have a negative connotation.

In the case of short vs. fat, it's rare that someone assigns aesthetic distaste, or claims an unhealthy life as a result of being short.

I believe the entire goal of fat acceptance should be that the word should simply be used as a descriptor, rather than have all of this hate and claims of pseudo science behind it every time the word is mentioned.

As others have said here, there's a fair chance that it may not happen, but it's certainly a noble cause, and well, you never know how much of the world you can change if you don't try.

Latest posts