Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

I've been diabetic for 4 years now. Was at 342 pounds then after Metformin and such I dropped down to 285. Weight started to tick back up to around 310. Then life happened last year, blood sugar and A1C shot up and I dropped down to 245. But after getting back on Metformin (and Trulicity) my weight has gone BACK up a 2nd time

As of today - Thanksgiving - 275 pounds. Nice and steady, which is fine by me.

i<;m.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
I've been on a starter dose of Metformin (2 pills a day, I forget the size) since mid-August. Between that and cutting waaay back on carbs and being more diligent about daily exercise, my latest A1C was down to 6.0, from the 8.2 that it measured in July (with an interim measurement of 6.5 in November). Also lost about 35 pounds in that time, and again I'm not sure how much of that was from the Metformin and how much was the lifestyle changes.

The new Covid Omicron Ba.2 apparently leaves people with life long illnesses and one of them is type two diabetes. Better medicine might be available with the massive increases.
The newer strains Ba.2.2 is a combination of Ba.1 + Ba.2 so the next wave will result in a lot of diabetics. Health systems will have to change to cure instead of manage.
There might be good news ahead as the other strain Deltacrom may really force for cures rather than management.

Tracyarts

I take insulin, both long acting and fast acting. I only have marginal insulin resistance, so none of the different kinds of non-insulin medications for type 2 diabetes give me any benefits.

I do take Metformin because I have PCOS and Metformin has benefits beyond managing insulin resistance in PCOS patients. But it doesn't do anything to treat my diabetes.

I'm one of those weird cases where something shuts the pancreas down in adulthood (likely autoimmune related because my pancreas started shutting down around the time my autoimmune disease started to emerge). The term used sometimes is LADA diabetes (latent autoimmune diabetes in/of adulthood). But not all researchers and doctors think LADA diabetes is an actual thing. Some say it's just Type 2 diabetes, but without insulin resistance.

Either way, the treatment is insulin injections because the pancreas doesn't make any/enough.

Reactions: Tad

Donna

call me jolly & I will sleigh you
There was an interesting article on CNN this morning about a new diabetes medication I've never heard of. If you're interested, you can check it out here. Trigger warning: there is discussion of weight loss if that topic offends you.

Rojodi

There was an interesting article on CNN this morning about a new diabetes medication I've never heard of. If you're interested, you can check it out here. Trigger warning: there is discussion of weight loss if that topic offends you.

It's always "If you just lost weight, your Type II would go away".

Donna

call me jolly & I will sleigh you
It's always "If you just lost weight, your Type II would go away".
There are studies that show while the condition is never cured, even a nominal weight loss and changes in diet can normalize blood sugar levels without medication. I found it interesting that the weight loss touted in the CNN article was significantly less for those of us who are type 2 as opposed to those who aren't diabetic. I'd love to see the actual study, too, to see the age range and starting weight range for all the participants.

I'm normally extremely dubious about any claim that weight loss will cure XYZ disease; trust me, I've been told every iteration of that statement by every medical professional whose ever examined me. I have absolutely no desire to ever be a size 0. Hell, I wouldn't even be comfortable at a size 10. But for someone like me, who could lose a quarter of their body weight and still be considered super-sized, to normalize my glucose levels and get off the Metformin, I would be willing to give it a try.

Reactions: Tad

Rojodi

There are studies that show while the condition is never cured, even a nominal weight loss and changes in diet can normalize blood sugar levels without medication. I found it interesting that the weight loss touted in the CNN article was significantly less for those of us who are type 2 as opposed to those who aren't diabetic. I'd love to see the actual study, too, to see the age range and starting weight range for all the participants.

I'm normally extremely dubious about any claim that weight loss will cure XYZ disease; trust me, I've been told every iteration of that statement by every medical professional whose ever examined me. I have absolutely no desire to ever be a size 0. Hell, I wouldn't even be comfortable at a size 10. But for someone like me, who could lose a quarter of their body weight and still be considered super-sized, to normalize my glucose levels and get off the Metformin, I would be willing to give it a try.

My pancreas "Sh*t the bed" after a round of Prednisone for a herniated disk. My PCP, two of the three Endocrinologists, ALL the registered dieticians, and now even my RN sister agree: I can get back to my college playing weight and I'll still be taking Basaglar shots until I die. I can only maintain good habits.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod

It's not a 100% new medication. Tirzepatide is just Eli Lilly's now market ready version of semaglutide (introduced by Novo Nordisk) - both drugs are so-called GIP-receptor/GLP-1 recptor antagonists.
In the US the latter is marketed as Ozempic and seems to be hideously expensive - we just recently discussed that in another thread.
The British NHS has just started using semaglutide in weight loss programms on a large scale - and there was quite some political discussion as to the pro's and con's of doing so.

If you're interested and seriously think a new medication could be beneficial for you, there's always the option of contacting the company directly to see if you could qualify for one of their test programs.