Dietland on AMC TV -- What do you think?

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by Cynthia, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Jun 27, 2018 #1

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

I'm really intrigued by the series, Dietland, on AMC TV. Some scenes are blistering reminders of my experiences when I was younger, single, and living in larger cities. What do people think of it? (If there's a thread elsewhere that I've missed, please excuse the redundancy.)

2. Jun 27, 2018 #2

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband

I have no desire to watch it. I don't watch much in the way of new , scripted programming ( I only got an episode in to the second season of This Is Us and stopped). The idea of watching a show in which the main character(s) are anger driven is a total turn off for me. I get enough angry energy from people and their isms on social media. The idea of a show that is built upon that same vibe is something I will actively avoid.

3. Jun 27, 2018 #3

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

AmyJo1976

SSBBW & FFA

I've seen the previews. They made it look pretty interesting, but I haven't had the chance to watch it. How is it? I may have to add it to my list!

4. Jun 27, 2018 #4

LifelongFA

LifelongFA

LifelongFA

Joy Nash is a very funny lady. I have followed her for some time, and it was only a matter of time before she got a significant role.

5. Jun 27, 2018 #5

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

I’ve got this on my DVR scheduled list and have been watching. I really like it, there are a few jumps of faith you need to take to make it realistic, and I absolutely agree that it brings up some pretty big issues that I have been put through. The main character Plum is living the typical Ugly Duckling Syndrome (she is an ugly duckling until she becomes thin - aka growing up to be the swan) She has this dress that she uses as her inspiration. I’m really into it. As a single (widowed) supersized female past the acceptable age - it really speaks to me. One of the things that really speaks volume is the “Y” prescription anti-depressant that it seem is a panacea that is given to everyone. I’m looking forward to it as it unfolds.

6. Jun 27, 2018 #6

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

It's faithful-to-the-book with slight updates so far. It's taking the risks! We'll see how it handles the 'Kiss-In' which some of our best activists initiated, picketing the Hearst/'Austen' Building after a very fatphobic blogpost(when MIKE&MOLLY first appeared) in Marie Claire/'Daisy Chain'. Ummm if you go to my facebook page and scroll down a week or so, I posted some links about that circa-2011 demo...

7. Jun 28, 2018 #7

mister_bueno

mister_bueno

mister_bueno

good for you

8. Jun 28, 2018 #8

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

On some levels, Dietland speaks to all women about the interplay of beauty, power, and perceived youth. But the experiences of the main character, Plum, are the ones that could have been plucked right out of my own head. And, like her, I know how it feels to make myself invisible in order to seek protection from a world that's sometimes cruel and unpredictable. There's a real roller-coaster of emotions here, and the last episode left me filled with dark, angry energy. I'm completely enthralled by this series.

DragonFly likes this.
  9. Jun 28, 2018 #9

LuvMBigger

LuvMBigger

LuvMBigger

I'm watching and it brings up a lot of familiar issues. I LOVED the character in the first episode who walks into the Waist Watchers meeting, and is completely at odds with the accepted ethos of the group because she has no self esteem issues about her body and her weight, she's just there due to back problems. I bet she was written for one episode, but it was such a powerful performance, I wouldn't be surprised if they bring her back in a future episode.

I keep hoping that I will see a guy like me that genuinely loves and appreciates BBW's just the way they are.

I must also admit to being in lust with the busty blonde that hangs out at the New Baptist Plan house.

DragonFly likes this.
  10. Jun 28, 2018 #10

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor

I liked when there were copies of the actual book on a table at Calliope House and Plum is waving one around. Worth a read, folks.

11. Jul 7, 2018 #11

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Staff Member Global Moderator

Loved the last episode -

Anyone else watching the episodes twice to catch all the details?

12. Jul 7, 2018 #12

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated

I haven't read the book or had a chance to see the show yet but it's on my list of titles to watch...eventually.

13. Jul 15, 2018 #13

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

These episodes are taking me on an unsettling tour that could be called "Size Acceptance and Me." I'm reliving the oppression, shame, anger, liberation, rebellion, confusion of years past ... and it's rocking my sense of self. Philosophically, I'd love to wrap my life around size acceptance and thumb my nose at height/weight charts. But, on the practical side, I have diabetes-related kidney disease and must reach BMI requirements to get on a transplant list. (And, with a "lifestyle-related" condition like this, society is quick to dump blame and scorn on fat patients.) So, here I am, I'm trying to carve out a place for me and my body in the midst of these very conflicting feelings. Whew, I definitely did not expect all this turmoil from a TV show.

AmyJo1976 and DragonFly like this.