Dimensions' Diabetic Support Thread

Discussion in 'Health Forum' started by MisticalMisty, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Sep 3, 2009 #101

steely

steely

steely

It's so strange how it effects everyone differently. When I exercise my blood sugars go up. This is one messed up disease.

2. Sep 3, 2009 #102

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

Well, I think it depends on your pancreas.

I got my results back from visit a few weeks ago. My a1c was 8.5%...I'm surprised..I was expecting it to be much higher.

My C-peptide or whatever it's called is 4 x the normal limit. The nurse gave me a "stern" talking to about my weight and explaining how my weight is causing my body to produce too much insulin. I finally just said "I know. You don't have to explain it to me."

She told me to get off dairy..and he told me to get off starches..I'm not giving up my dairy..it doesn't bother my sugar.

So yeah..this disease is fucked up. I produce insulin..I just have resistance to it.

3. Sep 3, 2009 #103

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

This probably adds nothing but I saw an add on the subway. This medical study is looking for overweight African Americans who are predisposed to diabetes. They want to experiment with vitamin D and a placebo and will compensate $315 for three months. I might have taken the bait if they paid more. It's a long trek to Tufts. I only mention this because you mentioned dairy and it looks like the folks who run this study are trying to find a link between vitamin D deficiency and diabetes. African Americans are notorious for being lactose intolerant. Both my parents are and both have diabetes.

4. Sep 5, 2009 #104

steely

steely

steely

I didn't give up dairy and I don't think I could. Good lord, the 4oz of yogurt I have 3 times a week and the little bit of cheese I have on salads. I think they want to take everything from us. :(

5. Oct 6, 2009 #105

Chef

Chef

Chef

Galloping Gourmet

At my latest checkup and med renewal, I'm going on a trial of sitagliptin(Januvia)50mg/metformin HCl 1000mg to see if it has a better effect to lower my sugars since I'm already taking the max dosage of metformin. My a1c came back as 7.0

My a1c was 11.7 back in June.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #106

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

I'm progressing on my diabetic control as well - saw my doctor yesterday; latest a1c is 8.3 (down from a high of 9.8 three months ago). I'm also maxed on Metformin at 2,000 mg per day, so doc added Actos to the regimen, starting at 15 mg and going up to 45 mg in a month as long as I tolerate it well.

I'm feeling better with more energy these days, since being diagnosed last April, though I have gained weight. :(

7. Oct 6, 2009 #107

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

Wow..that's awesome!

8. Oct 7, 2009 #108

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

What's the story with alcohol and diabetes? I have a family gathering to go to. I do not have diabetes but I've been cutting sugar to control another set of issues. I have a family member who has been newly diagnosed and I was going to bring some stuff to make sugar free frozen margaritas. Everything at these hootnannies is loaded with sugar and crap so I'm being proactive and bringing my own stuff. Can you drink if you have diabetes? I thought I might offer her one.

9. Oct 7, 2009 #109

bdog

bdog

bdog

Hard liquor and beer both have carbs, regardless of whether whether or not the mix is sugar free. Standard sweet drinks like Pina Coladas are ridiculously heavy on the sugar. There's also the fact that the liver (which along with the pancreas helps to regulate blood sugar) gets very busy handling all the alcohol. This can lead to weird things happening... I don't know how to explain it better than that.

When I drink I do so in moderation. I don't go to sleep while I'm still tipsy. And I monitor my blood sugar throughout. I'm type 1, though... might be a little easier for _some_ type 2s.

10. Oct 8, 2009 #110

Lamia

Lamia

Lamia

Like OMG!!

I have a question. I have never had high blood sugar before. Recently, I went to the ER for one of my a-fib attacks. I have one about every 3 years. They took my blood while I was in a-fib. The next day when I followed up with the doctor he told me my blood sugar was 137 and that I was on the verge of being diabetic. I have looked up different thing online about it. Mine was a fasting sugar since I woke up and went straight to the ER. I don't remember though if I had eaten anything before going to bed.

I have given up soda to make baby steps toward change. I've been meaning to do it for awhile and I have done it in the past and know how good I felt when I gave it up.

I am just wondering if anyone has any tips on what to change in my diet to help prevent high blood sugar.

I weigh 425lbs and have been sick so I've been losing weight. I told the dr about these painful headaches in the back of my skull, dizziness, nausea and stomach problems. He suggested gastric bypass...:rolleyes:

I asked him for a diabetic diet so I could look it over to see what kind of foods I should be eating. It took them 15 minutes to find one and when they found it he went in with another patient and I didn't get to discuss it with him. :doh:

11. Oct 8, 2009 #111

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

I was told once by a doctor who worked at the Joslin Diabetes Center that changing your diet alone may not prevent diabetes. At the time, I was worried about diabetes that runs amok in my family and had lost some weight due to cutting carbs. I was telling her what I'd been doing and why and she said it was a great way to control the disease once you already have it but diet alone is not enough of a preventive. She said studies at the clinic show that the best defense overall against diabetes is exercise and it should be the first place anyone looks for preventive measures. Weight loss has been shown to be helpful but studies at the Joslin center offer evidence that one can lower their risk significantly with exercise alone that is absent of any weight loss at all. This gives hope to some of us whose bodies have been resistant to weight loss in the past. The effect weight loss has on diabetes is often dependent on the way that weight loss is achieved so a little bit of both diet and exercise certainly wont hurt you. I would suggest taking the long way home at the end of the day or adding some window shopping to your routine. Walking, anything to get the blood pumping that adds more movement to your day. Cutting out sodas is definitley a step in the right direction and quitting smoking if you smoke but exercise seems to be the one-two-punch..

12. Oct 9, 2009 #112

bdog

bdog

bdog

Yes. Agree completely. Exercise dramatically increases my sensitivity to insulin, and increasing insulin sensitivity is what you want to do to prevent diabetes. Cutting out soda and unhealthy foods will no doubt have beneficial changes to a person's health as well, but I think exercise is priority 1.

13. Oct 10, 2009 #113

jamie

jamie

jamie

...tickled...

Just wanted to warn you that the Actos may make the weight gain worse, just so you don't freak out. I gained 40lbs in a month with the Actos and he took me off of it immediately. I think that for me it caused a lot of fluid retention.

I take Janumet 50/500 bid and Glyburide (generic for diabetta) 2 pills twice a day and it seems to work without the additional weight gain.

For me, it has been the diet change and exercise that has made the most dramatic difference. I don't eat low carb, I eat good carbs in a balanced diet. I am considering myself lucky, because I know it does not work for everyone, but a few simple changes have finally started to turn my blood sugar trends around.

My highest A1C was 13.2 and I think the last one was 9 something.

14. Oct 11, 2009 #114

cherylharrell

cherylharrell

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl

Aha, so that's why I had fluid retention & the dr put me on water pills. If I am going out somewhere I don't take them tho cuz I don't wanna have an accident. The Actos did cause me weight gain & I was already fat enough. Oh well I am used to my fat now...

15. Oct 12, 2009 #115

bdog

bdog

bdog

Exercise is a complicated process. There's multiple pathways the body uses to create energy depending on the length and intensity.

With moderate exercise the liver will often release extra glycogen into the bloodstream for a source energy. But if your body doesn't use insulin well then the extra glycogen just stays in your blood and the result is a higher blood sugar. However, don't get too discouraged. You can talk to your doctor to increase meds, do gentler exercise, or if you persist with the exercise your body will actually become more efficient at using what insulin you do have.

But yes, I agree, it's one messed up disease and can be quite difficult to manage!

16. Dec 1, 2009 #116

Chef

Chef

Chef

Galloping Gourmet

Update: I've been really struggling with trying to get my bloodsugars below 130, and my average is 167. Today, I've started using Lantus insulin glargine at 10 units/nightly.

I just performed my first injection. Talk about battle over willpower.

17. Dec 1, 2009 #117

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Chef, if you don't mind my asking, what's your regimen? I was diagnosed in April and since then have been working with my doctor and adding more pills, the latest being Actos 45 mg once a day; so currently I take Metformin 1,000 mg twice a day and the Actos 45 mg. I wondered what will be next if the Actos doesn't control it (I'll know in a month or so, it seems to take a few weeks for a new diabetes drug to really take affect) - I wonder if, or when, I'll start on insulin.

18. Dec 1, 2009 #118

Chef

Chef

Chef

Galloping Gourmet

I take Metformin 1,000mg twice a day, and tried Avandia briefly back in September to worse than expected results. (I also take neurontin, lisinopril, tricor, and lovaza)

I was asked twice by my doctor if I've considered using insulin. (I hate needles.. I hatessss them.. I hatesssss them forever!) But the ultra-fine needle in my pen was very surprising. I completely forgot that I have to press the button to release the insulin.

But my exercise routine.. isn't. And I think that is a bigger part of my failure to keep a low blood sugar. Winter not helping much either. :(

19. Dec 3, 2009 #119

SocialbFly

SocialbFly

SocialbFly

I am keeping Tina!

Something else that should be mentioned, i have issues cause i dont eat regularily enough, blame my stupid schedule, but i will go looooongggg periods then eat a BIG meal...which spells bad in many a diabetic book....

although i am tech still prediabetic, i know i have to watch how long i go between meals, because the longer you go, then your glucagon kicks in...what glucagon does is...When you eat food, glucose gets absorbed from your intestines and distributed by the bloodstream to all of the cells in your body. Your body tries to keep a constant supply of glucose for your cells by maintaining a constant glucose concentration in your blood -- otherwise, your cells would have more than enough glucose right after a meal and starve in between meals and overnight. So, when you have an oversupply of glucose, your body stores the excess in the liver and muscles by making glycogen, long chains of glucose. When glucose is in short supply, your body mobilizes glucose from stored glycogen and/or stimulates you to eat food. The key is to maintain a constant blood-glucose level source
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/diabetes1.htm
    anyway, so the glucagon actually raises your sugar when you dont eat for a while, that was what my doc explained to me, so eating reg actually helps your blood glucose levels stay at a lower more reg spot...

that is my biggest challange, eating regular meals...working nights, you know that is hard...so my A1c goes between 5.8 anmd 6.1 and of course, worries me...

20. Dec 4, 2009 #120

steely

steely

steely

I'd like to say that after the last two months of being not so careful with my diabetes, I am back on track. My blood sugars are under control. There appears to be no difference in the way I feel physically but in my head I feel much better. Onward and upward.