Disabled?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.c.phillips,
Nine years ago I was injured and became a quadriplegic (more or less). It never occurred to me to ask if anyone else was in the same boat. Anyone here living as a quad/paraplegic or other mobility issues of the like? I figured I would try to network within the Dims community

Orchid

Hi Happy Easter. Your post caught my attention. I have some minor mobility issues due to the severe heart failure I can not walk far or go shopping. The osteoartritis is allover so unable to get into my bathtub or walk normal or do house chores unhindered. I still do my own housekeeping but I go slow and in little bits short times etc. This is totally different from severely disabled mobility like yours. But I thought to answer here. Have a nice day.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
Hi Happy Easter. Your post caught my attention. I have some minor mobility issues due to the severe heart failure I can not walk far or go shopping. The osteoartritis is allover so unable to get into my bathtub or walk normal or do house chores unhindered. I still do my own housekeeping but I go slow and in little bits short times etc. This is totally different from severely disabled mobility like yours. But I thought to answer here. Have a nice day.
You've certainly got your hands full! I've been fortunate that my health has been fine other than the paralysis. I take pretty good care of myself and do what I can to stay as healthy as possible, but I'm always wondering if I could do more. From what I read on your profile it sounds like heart ailments run in the family. Sorry to hear about your brother and your mother :really sad:

landshark

Happy to be part of Dims!
Jack, I'm sorry to hear of your accident and resulting changes you've had to adjust to. I have to admit, from your posts here you strike me as a very positive and upbeat person. This is admirable.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
Jack, I'm sorry to hear of your accident and resulting changes you've had to adjust to. I have to admit, from your posts here you strike me as a very positive and upbeat person. This is admirable.
Thanks for the kind words. I try to stay positive and upbeat, but I'll be honest… I'm really half the man I used to be psychologically. It's been really really hard to keep interest in the things I used to love (Like trying to flirt with the gals here) :). I've lost a lot in my life and I don't mean just physically.I've been trying some different approaches this new year. I'm pretty hopeful That these changes are really going to help me.

Thank God I've got the world's best friends and family!

I'm sorry to hear that. How long you been living with it and what are your everyday challenges?
I've had CP all my life. Not walking is the biggest thing, but having some upper body involvement means things like dressing and transferring myself are also difficult. I also don't drive and can only get around in a vehicle with a wheelchair lift or ramp (unless I'm with someone who can lift my chair into the trunk and me into the car seat). Kinda a funny story, I live with my godparents right now and they had their van outfitted with a ramp and tie-downs for me, but yesterday we forgot to fasten the tie-downs coming home from church. Now I use a power chair but it's little, designed for portability, so it weighs 102#s. So the chair with me in it weighs around 250 (I used to always worry about running over ppl's feet, but one day it dawned on me, it's not like they are getting run over by a car, it's more like getting stepped on by a fat person!). So as we're driving along I'm sliding around in the back of the van, and as we make that final turn into the driveway *TILT!* over I go, chair and all, landing on the center console! Much joking ensued about me "getting tipsy on a Sunday morning"! This is why I need to get fat, lol.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
I've had CP all my life. Not walking is the biggest thing, but having some upper body involvement means things like dressing and transferring myself are also difficult. I also don't drive and can only get around in a vehicle with a wheelchair lift or ramp (unless I'm with someone who can lift my chair into the trunk and me into the car seat). Kinda a funny story, I live with my godparents right now and they had their van outfitted with a ramp and tie-downs for me, but yesterday we forgot to fasten the tie-downs coming home from church. Now I use a power chair but it's little, designed for portability, so it weighs 102#s. So the chair with me in it weighs around 250 (I used to always worry about running over ppl's feet, but one day it dawned on me, it's not like they are getting run over by a car, it's more like getting stepped on by a fat person!). So as we're driving along I'm sliding around in the back of the van, and as we make that final turn into the driveway *TILT!* over I go, chair and all, landing on the center console! Much joking ensued about me "getting tipsy on a Sunday morning"! This is why I need to get fat, lol.
I use a full-sized Invacare power chair and it weighs in excess of 400 pounds (before I get on). In my van I have a lift system and also a locking mechanism so all I need to do is drive onto the lock And it automatically secures me in my chair in the van.I don't how much faith I really put in that thing. I would bet that if we were in a frontal collision of more than 40 miles an hour me in my chair would go sailing into the front of the van likely killing anybody sitting there. I've had assurances from everybody, but I don't know…
And I have one of her people speak more than once. I'm sad to say that I have broken a couple of toes from folks stepping right underneath my wheel. That's really got to hurt!
How long have you had to use the wheelchair?

I've never been able to walk, so I pretty much graduated from a stroller to a wheelchair. Didn't get a power chair till I was about 10, guess they didn't trust me to drive before that.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
I've never been able to walk, so I pretty much graduated from a stroller to a wheelchair. Didn't get a power chair till I was about 10, guess they didn't trust me to drive before that.
That was probably a good idea! When I was in the hospital there were two six-year-old's that used power chairs during their stay. They would zoom around the halls, scaring the hell out of all the nurses :)

Ho Ho Tai

Squeezy - I read another post of yours about the "Freshman 15". I want to tell you that you truly have 'SISU', a Finnish word roughly translated as "Determination – Spirit – Resolve – Courage – Persistence – Guts – Tenacity – Stubbornness – Steadfastness – Perseverance."

I have certain handicaps - I call them 'nuisances' - which are not nearly as serious as yours. My claim to SISU is getting out of bed every morning and making breakfast for my wife, and not crawling back in until after lunch.

If you don't gain a single pound of that "Freshman 15" you still automatically qualify for SISU. If I had a way to do it, I'd send you a SISU mug.

View attachment 108.35_1.jpg

Squeezy - I read another post of yours about the "Freshman 15". I want to tell you that you truly have 'SISU', a Finnish word roughly translated as "Determination – Spirit – Resolve – Courage – Persistence – Guts – Tenacity – Stubbornness – Steadfastness – Perseverance."

I have certain handicaps - I call them 'nuisances' - which are not nearly as serious as yours. My claim to SISU is getting out of bed every morning and making breakfast for my wife, and not crawling back in until after lunch.

If you don't gain a single pound of that "Freshman 15" you still automatically qualify for SISU. If I had a way to do it, I'd send you a SISU mug.
Thank you, I have to admit, getting out of bed in the morning is an accomplishment for me too, not because of my handicap so much as I just love sleeps. And I have 8 AM class coming up in the fall, ugh. :doh:

Latest posts