Discrimination at work

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

da3ley

Sorry to hear that da3ley!
Question in this context though - did the job offer health insurance cover? Because in that case the walker might have been the deal breaker.... Employers especially in the US are phobic regarding taking on people that appear to be more likely to generate health care costs (.... and that unfortunately is one of the "pro-arguments" for size discrimination - which of course is something they would never put in writing....)

Also - you wrote that in the past few years you had been at home taking care of your grandchild. In the various training courses I've worked on there occasionally were participants re-entering the working world after longer stints at home. From my observations it often took them some time to re-learn understanding the (constantly changing) working world code or reading subtext in job exchanges - simply for lack of practice.
Re-training yourself in that by either doing some volunteer work or in the context where you know people who need to get some work done but cannot fully hire someone might be another approach.

Better luck next time!
Yes you maybe right about it bc of that very thing alone. As far as the other issue of re-entry into the workplace after being a bit away, I agreed to take a 2.00 ph pay decrease as I thought it was a reasonable thing to do considering I had been out of the workplace for a moment.

The job itself was not foreign to me other than sourcing parts locally, and learning their computer database system to access customer information. It was basically a replica of the previous position held prior. It was right up my alley.
The whole thing just sucks.
Dana

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
That really does suck. Especially not giving feedback, that is just cowardly on his part :( I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

Wishing you new opportunities soon. I hope the job market is good where you are.

da3ley

That really does suck. Especially not giving feedback, that is just cowardly on his part :( I'm so sorry you were treated that way.

Wishing you new opportunities soon. I hope the job market is good where you are.
Thank u! It’s not bad here I’m CO actually.

Donna

call me jolly & I will sleigh you
The lack of specifics with regard to the reason you were terminated, while frustrating for you, is becoming more normalized even in an ‘at will’ state. We live in a litigious world now and employers live in abject fear of lawsuits. Many times when an employee is terminated, unless there is a history of documented occurrences and/or signed write-ups, only a general "it isn't a right fit" or similar is given.

Call centers historically don’t give two ticks if a candidate is fat or thin, and as long as a disability doesn’t impede you from taking phone calls, it doesn’t bother them either. They’re happy if you and your clothing are clean, the bits that shouldn’t be shown are covered, and you aren’t malodorous. (Ever sat in a cubicle farm next to or across from someone who either didn't shower enough or wore too much cologne? Ack!)

As someone upthread suggested, the walker might have scared them. Not only for concerns about additional health insurance costs, but a visible injury could potentially result in excessive absenteeism. Bodies in the chairs taking calls is number one priority in a customer service/call center environment. They're scheduling insecurities shouldn't effect you, but it's a reality in that industry.

As many have said, you more than likely dodged a bullet and didn't have to invest too much of your time and energy.

da3ley

The lack of specifics with regard to the reason you were terminated, while frustrating for you, is becoming more normalized even in an ‘at will’ state. We live in a litigious world now and employers live in abject fear of lawsuits. Many times when an employee is terminated, unless there is a history of documented occurrences and/or signed write-ups, only a general "it isn't a right fit" or similar is given.

Call centers historically don’t give two ticks if a candidate is fat or thin, and as long as a disability doesn’t impede you from taking phone calls, it doesn’t bother them either. They’re happy if you and your clothing are clean, the bits that shouldn’t be shown are covered, and you aren’t malodorous. (Ever sat in a cubicle farm next to or across from someone who either didn't shower enough or wore too much cologne? Ack!)

As someone upthread suggested, the walker might have scared them. Not only for concerns about additional health insurance costs, but a visible injury could potentially result in excessive absenteeism. Bodies in the chairs taking calls is number one priority in a customer service/call center environment. They're scheduling insecurities shouldn't effect you, but it's a reality in that industry.

As many have said, you more than likely dodged a bullet and didn't have to invest too much of your time and energy.

Upon leaving one night, I did leave my walker there. It was so I could start walking normal again, and without, and get back on track. It was starting to feel better,and days had already passed since the injury. You maybe right about that no doubt.
The next morning he told me “you left your walker here” My thoughts were:”Yeah, no shit Sherlock. I told him that I knew that, and that it was cleared with his wife who is also his business partner.
They also seemed to have an issue about leaving for breaks and lunches while the previous person supposedly never left her seat but just to use th bathroom, but I wasn’t doing that. I took my breaks and lunches out of the building. I guess I’m supposed to eat at my desk while taking calls in between is how they preferred it! With bites in between chewing in my customers ear? I’ll admit during the first couple days, I did just that and never will I do that again, as it is illegal as well.
I don’t know what it was, and I find it a bit difficult bc I’m still rack my brain here and there. If it really was something I could’ve improved on for the next job opportunity, I really would’ve appreciated it.
Also, it wasn’t a call center, but an “office” where you sometimes meet customers face to face, and help them pick out a reconditioned appliance if need be. I was positioned in the corner towards the back. Taking incoming calls was a major part of it, but assisting with walk ins as well. I wish it had been a call center no doubt bc u r right , your in your chair doing just that. I applied for call centers but wasn’t waiting around for it to happen. It did after ofc! During my third day of training is ofc when I was told about an opportunity, but it was too late.
I hate to say this, but I try and stay clear from public positions bc of experience in the past. It sucks but mostly reality, at least for myself anyhow.
Thank u for your response. Those knuckleheads didn’t even have a kitchen to attain water. If we wanted water our options were to drink from their incredibly slow water fountain, the bathroom sink, or you bring your own bottle! Guess which one I chose after a couple of days?
Not to mention they had no coffee machine! Those little amenities one appreciates and is grateful for when you have to get over that last hump during the day huh? Not with them! At least they had a fridge I guess.
Of well God bless em! I’m looking forward to bigger things!

Last edited:

da3ley

your welcome! What does a Support Associates/CSR Rep do?
My position entailed providing support to upper management. It involves setting up meetings, working spreadsheets, creating routes for the techs, survey follow ups, BBB complaints, damage claims to property, bad check recoveries. A few more but basically wherever upper management needed help with. Pretty much wherever they needed help plus incoming calls. Lots of duties.

Tiffany08

My position entailed providing support to upper management. It involves setting up meetings, working spreadsheets, creating routes for the techs, survey follow ups, BBB complaints, damage claims to property, bad check recoveries. A few more but basically wherever upper management needed help with. Pretty much wherever they needed help plus incoming calls. Lots of duties.
Ok cool it almost sounds like a Secretary type job

da3ley

Definitely, that’s why this next job search will only be for CSR Call Center only. I love customer service. It’s my passion, and some may think is lower on the totem, but bottom line it’s my calling.
I enjoy problem solving, customer care, commitments to my customers, resolving issues that are challenging etc. A Fixer basically. Been doing it since 1993 my first real job a The Denver Post in the Circulation Dept, and ever since it’s been a passion. I’m trying to not overthink about: why this? why that? It’s hard, bc I really thought it all was going well.
It’s almost like I was expecting them to view me as less bc of my size, and that’s something I have to work through. I’m pretty big, and get stared at constantly. It hurts sometimes, especially when kids stare. They are so innocent, and really don’t understand the bigger picture.
Adults or teens I get really defensive, and stare back along with a comment they deserve. I have to work in this area I’ll admit, but I was totally professional at that position that’s why I’m stumped 🤔 Sorry for writing a book 😊

Last edited:

SSBHM

Thank u for asking! Yes definitely updates...

Well, they unfortunately let me go. It was done before it started. He pulled me into his “office” which was basically the break room, and told me that it wasn’t working out. I asked him if he would please be more specific and elaborate, but he didn’t. Instead, he told me to read the Termination paper, along with my paycheck for the 1week I worked.
I was pretty upset about it when I left his office ofc and got into my car. He didn’t elaborate on what I originally asked him as I hoped he would’ve. The paperwork said nothing about it upon opening it. I specifically asked him what I did, or didn’t do that didn’t meet his standards for the company, so I know what areas I could improve for the next job,moving forward.
I really am like 🤔 stumped, bc my training was going well and I was only 1 day away for me learning their system and such abs was just getting comfortable with it after the 4th day of training.
I didn’t show up late, so it wasn’t the attendance obviously.
My trainer seemed to have liked me, and we hit it off. I ofc dressed professional so that was crossed off as well. I got all the check marks, and just don’t understand why where I came up in his eyes lacking...
I kind of got a weird vibe the minute I walked in there. I had to use my walker my first day, bc 5 days before my start date, I twisted my ankle a bit and needed the walker. He seemed fine with it or at least acted like it, and I told him that it was only temporary.
I was really disappointed bc the guy when he me, he hired me based off my resume, and my experience. I say this bc we only interviewed over the phone, and not face to face. He told me how impressed he was and that same day wrote up the job offer letter!
I really believe my size was the definite factor.
Who really knows?
Ty again for the inquiry!
I read your post and thought I'd say something. I hope it might help. I think the walker was as much or more of a factor. Disabilities of any kind are not looked upon very well in our society and in business even more. If you had come to work seeming healthy, vibrant, energetic, and pleasant I bet it would have gone a lot better.

Ok, as to weight. A problem I've noticed is that some bigger people smell bad or use too much perfume or aftershave. For some reason I've noticed that a lot of bigger people have some odor issues. I try to be very, very, very clean and careful not to use anything over powering in the odor arena. I think it really does make a difference.

Lastly, I might be inclined to suggest being more forthcoming about being a bigger person even if the interview is over the phone. I wouldn't necessarily suggest leading off with it, but somehow interjecting it to prepare the other person with what to expect, as well as to assure you that it won't prove to be a very unpleasant situation. Maybe ask about how seating is designed with respect to space, style, or privacy. You can also ask about stairs if it might be an issue for you. Maybe make a remark that is a bit humorous but that suggests you aren't a little person. I know this is all touchy, and it might upend a hiring situation, but finding a fit requires honesty and being forthright too. Some office environments or warehouses have very small chairs, no chairs, narrow aisles, open offices with no privacy, no windows, no AC, limited bathrooms, or other things that make working unpleasant, if not outright challenging for anyone.

I can't emphasize enough how the walker was probably an issue. Potential medical insurance expense, a perception of time off problems, and even workers' comp concerns can all become an issue a hirer could start to worry about.

You remind me of a situation I had once. I hired a SSBBW to work for me. I had interviewed her in person and didn't have any problem with her being well over 400# (I confess I thought she was very attractive). However, after agreeing to start in 3 weeks, she called to delay a week. I accepted that. Then, on her first day she arrived and wore inappropriate clothing and had an overwhelming sweet smell. People that met her noticed the smell and remarked consistently as politely as they could, but it was definitely not meant to encourage her wearing it again. The next day she arrived with a cane because she had sprained an ankle in the parking lot leaving work. I suggested she report it to HR. After doing so they suggested she take a few days off to recover. Two weeks later she returned. Again the perfume she chose was in my opinion nauseating. Other employees came to me to complain about it too.

I decided to speak to her as carefully as possible, but she broke down into tears and went to HR to complain about my comments. I spent the next day writing a response and explaining to HR about what I had done. My boss reprimanded me and sent me home to think about the matter, although he hadn't met the woman or truly listened to my explanation. After I returned, the next day the woman told me she needed a raise. I said that we could not accommodate giving anyone a raise before working 90 days. The following day she called in sick. The next day she left early for a dentist appointment. The next day she gave her notice to quit.

I was relieved. I told her she could leave and we'd pay her through the end of the week. She accepted.

This was a bad experience for me and I think it makes it bad for other big people too. I think putting your best foot forward is essential to gain employment and to work hard to develop your rapport and relationships is essential. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I just wanted to share how being big makes it harder and even more important to look and be healthy, not add any other barriers. Plus, if you don't meet someone before being hired, probably try to give them some advance notice. I think most people are programmed to expect medium or bland, but anything exceptional sets off alarms or causes a stir.

The walker probably is or was the biggest problem, really.