• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Discrimination

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
I'm currently job hunting. I have impeccable credentials, a very well put together resume, excellent references and a solid work history. If skill tests (typing, etc.) are required, I ace them.

I got a call to go into a law firm in early August for an interview. I wore my chocolate brown pantsuit, low heels, minimal makeup, and looked professional and capable. As I was sitting in the lobby awaiting the interview, I noticed that both the receptionists were young, cute, and thin - probably a size 6, maximum. I noticed various employees walking past, and the men were of varying sizes. The women, however, were ALL cute, youngish and THIN. Without exception. Probably the largest was a size 10.

Then I went in to be interviewed. The CFO (a man) was quite large. The office manager (a woman) was probably a size 4. The interview went very well, we addressed things I'd done and how I handle things and it seemed I fit exactly the criteria they were looking for. I went home and promptly sent off my thank-you letter.

A week letter I get a form letter basically saying they don't want me. Ok fine.

I spoke to some friends in the legal community, and apparently this particular firm WILL NOT hire big women. The owner (lawyer) only hires women that he finds attractive. They have to have the credentials, of course, but they MUST be attractive to him - which means thin.

I find this incredibly offensive. The size of my dress is not indicative of my capabilities, and just because I'm fat does NOT mean that I am lazy! I actually got called by the CFO for an interview on Friday, and when I mentioned that he'd interviewed me in August he said "Oh, never mind. If we didn't want you before, there must have been a reason." and hung up on me.

I had the same issue when I was still dating. I had MANY men tell me they'd be more than happy to have sex with me, but they would NEVER openly date me because they didn't want to be seen with the fat girl. It got to the point that I actually changed all my online dating profiles to say "I am a BBW. If you don't want me when I'm fat, then I won't want YOU when I'm thin. I deserve better."

For dating, I expected a certain amount of men not wanting me due to my size. But for hiring??? and for the most part, height/weight are not protected criteria so a lawsuit isn't even possible.

Latest posts

Back