Quantcast

Divergence - by Matt L.- (~BHM/~BBW, Imagery, Romance, ~SWG)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

strataadvance

This story is so Unique. It is just a feel Good story with some weight-gain. Subtle. And Sweet. It makes me smile. Please keep going exactly the way you are. :)

Matt L.

Thank you for your very kind thoughts, I really appreciate them.
Cheers, Matt

NKT

Very cool and very real. This story has legs, I'm sure you'll keep it going. I'm really enjoying it. Great work!

Matt L.

Thank you for acknowledging the story and for the kind remarks.

I have three already written chapters that need to be spruced up before posting. Chapter 6 is a very long chapter and I'm leaning toward to adding it to the forum in separate posts. I'll probably start writing chapter 7 Saturday night.

Cheers, Matt

Matt L.

Glad you like it, thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Cheers, Matt

atcAlan

I Love Sweet Pears
Matt, I have been a fan of yours for a while. I really like the new style. This story is great and I look forwward to the next installments.

Matt L.

DIVERGENCE PART FOUR

The romantic relationship between Tim and Beth Anne continued to develop over the summer, spending almost every available moment together. A comic book convention, humorous debates on a wide range of topics, barbecues and late night video game marathons.

Tim eventually met the rest of Beth Anne’s family and naturally Beth Anne was introduced to Tim’s family.

Concerning Beth Anne; the metamorphosis continued……

Beth Anne’s hair reverted back to its original auburn hue, the adult acne mildly increased, and her figure became inevitably softer once she stopped seeing the therapist and her voracious appetite returned.

“Autumn’s in the air tonight”, Tim remarked to Beth Anne that late summer evening while taking a leisurely neighborhood stroll. “Can’t you smell it?”

Beth Anne squeezed Tim’s hand, softly uttering “Um, yeah”, then happily went through details of the changes of the season much like a science teacher delivering a lecture.

Beth Anne’s wavy mane was clipped rather short, depicting the negligible fullness of her beautiful features. Clothed in a very feminine purple colored top and burgundy sweatpants, the material stretched at her waist, a sliver of flab oozing over the waistband, while broadcasting the curvature of her plump tummy as well as the spurt of growth to her rear and thighs.

“I’ll miss you while you’re at college, you made this summer so special”, Beth Anne’s lips blossoming into a loving smile.

“Me too”, Tim responded, “We’re on the same page. But I’ll write and give you a call at least once a week.”

“I know all about that”, Beth Anne squeaked, then brushed her head against Tim’s upper arm, “Thing is though, since dumping my therapist I’ve gained some weight, I promise to try and slim down before you’re back for break.”

Tim swung around and embraced Beth Anne, “There’ll be no talk about that. You could be as chubby as ever, what would I care.”

“You’ll be away at college with tons of pretty girls…”

Tim injected a spot of humor but was still adamant, “And when has a pretty girl given me the time of day other than you. You could weigh 200-pounds and I know not one of them would equal your beauty.”

Beth Anne gawkily giggled, “That’s sweet but unrealistic!”

The stroll continued, Beth Anne critically assessing her figure, “I need to diet or buy new uniforms, my butt is getting huge and my thighs are heading for maximum density.”

Tim cleared his throat, “And I thought I overanalyzed everything, I’m a rookie compared to you. There‘s nothing wrong with your figure, so what if you‘re a little heavier.”

“It’s buy a new wardrobe that I can’t afford or dieting, dieting is more practical. I hope you understand?”

Tim lightheartedly chuckled, “Be what it may! If you’re going to diet, so will I.”

“I appreciate the moral support”, Beth Anne replied, “But you don’t have to.”

Tim paused and softly announced, “I want to, I want to do it for you.”

………………………………................................................

Time marched on……………

Thanksgiving arrived and Tim, too his word, dropped a meager seven pounds which somehow provoked a significant reduction of acne. Surprisingly, Beth Anne’s acne cleared up to a lesser degree; however, she managed to put on some weight. Nine pounds too be precise.

The couple did spend some time together but it was shortened by Tim’s obligation to his family and friends. A Bear's game and a bachelor party among other things. Beth Anne put on a brave face but she secretly felt terrible about their lack of time together. Naturally this stimulated her appetite.

By New Years Beth Anne’s weight escalated to 159-pounds, the flabbiness of her figure and her mismatched set of clothes making her appear heavier. However, Tim managed to drop another 10-pounds resulting in various other changes to his appearance. Tim upgraded his wardrobe, wore designer glasses and attentively managed his hair. The nerdy quality erased from his appearance, he now resembled the preppy type of guys who were exceedingly popular in high school.

They did spend New Year’s Eve together at a small gathering held by Kylie.
Tim looked every bit the model of an illustrious gentleman in a navy blue suit jacket over a multicolored sweater and gray slacks while Beth Anne was clad in a simple black hooded sweatshirt and red sweatpants.

Tim embraced Beth Anne at midnight, his kiss smoldering with confidence as he tightly held her in his arms. He had obviously kissed her before but not with such gusto.

The embrace broke and Beth Anne nasally giggled as she pushed up her glasses, “I don’t know what they’re teaching you in college but I approve!”

Tim adjusted his hand over Beth Anne’s hips, subsequently kissing her again before admitting, “It’s the affection for you within my heart that inspires my kiss.”

Beth Anne lifted her eyebrows and profoundly sighed, “Ohh wow.”

A short while later Kylie met up with Beth Anne at the refreshment table.

“I don’t know what got into your boyfriend but he looks like he works on Michigan Avenue!”, Kylie good-humouredly remarked.

Beth Anne nodded, “He’s all spit and polished, huh?”

Kylie gazed over at her unshaven, shabbily attired boyfriend who was playing video games, “I wish some of Tim would rub off on Dan.”

Beth Anne reached into a large bowl of chips, “I know!”

Her voice then became corrupted with concern, “Tim hasn’t challenged me to one game since he’s been back. You don’t think he’s changing into a prep?”

“Has there been any other changes?” Kylie asked.

Beth Anne paused from nibbling, “Not really, other than his clothes and stuff.”

“If he still treats you the same I wouldn’t worry too much about it”, Kylie told her.

………………………………..........................

Nothing out of the ordinary transpired through the remainder of Tim’s break. He spent a great deal of time with Beth Anne and was as attentive and sweet as ever.

Back at school Tim routinely wrote Beth Anne and phoned her twice a week.

Tim was up on the latest parties and sporting events though mindful to his studies.

Beth Anne hung out with her crew, mainly Kylie and decided to skip the winter semester at Lindenhurst Community College due too lack of cash. She took on a full time gig at the restaurant, switched to the day shift, and continued to gain weight.

………………………………....................................

Tim had just E-mailed Beth Anne and was about to shower when his roommate approached him.

Randy Rollinback was a charming all-American boy next door type who played as hard as he worked.

Thick black hair, chiseled features and adequately built, though many of the
chicks on campus described him in more creative terms.

“Doing anything special tonight?, Randy asked between sips of beer.

Tim tossed his T-shirt on the chair next to the computer, “Nothing spectacular, just studying and watching TV, why?”

“I’m meeting Sabrina for pizza, and she’s bringing a friend. I wouldn’t want her friend feeling left out coz she‘s with a couple.”

“You mean Sabrina who’s built like a brick outhouse? You’re out matched, she’ll put you in the hospital.”

“And I’d enjoy every minute of it”, Randy laughed. “But anyway, would you do me the favor?”

Tim nodded, “Sure, as long as you pay me the ten you owe me, and the next beer run is on you.”

“What if I pick up the tab for dinner and we‘re squared”, Randy breezily stated, “You just handle the tip.”

Tim ambled over to Randy and snared his beer, “Anything else?

“Alright, I’ll be responsible for the next case of beer”, Randy chuckled.

Tim took a swig, handing the beer back to his friend.

“You’re pre-law man, you need to work on those negotiation skills”, then made tracks to the bathroom, “Just remember I already have a girlfriend, so don’t expect anything else from me other than being social.”

Randy’s face took on a comical smirk, “You might be influenced otherwise, she‘s quite the babe.”

“Oh yeah, what’s this chick like?” asked Tim.

Randy guzzled the remainder of his brew, “Slim, athletic, she’s on the volleyball team.”

“That’s not saying much”, Tim casually remarked.

Randy tossed the beer bottle into the trash, “I know this, she’s from the same neck of the woods as you.”

Tim leaned up against the doorway, “She’s from Morton Grove?”

“Yeah, Vanessa something. Black hair, very pretty, nice personality though a little high maintenance. Does she sound familiar?”

“Yeah, If were talking about Vanessa Sharpe.”

Randy rubbed his head, “I think that’s her name.”

.................................................................................

Vanessa Sharpe, Beth Anne’s former high school friend was a scrumptious looking vixen.

Her short black mane manufactured in trendy style accentuated the exquisite features of her diamond shaped face, a modest assortment of cosmetics, small silver earrings in place.

Vanessa’s wardrobe consisted of a posh burgundy colored silk blouse and pricy black slacks that complimented her svelte figure while designating her upper-class background.

Even the sound of her voice was chalked up with heightened eloquence.

Randy made the introductions, adding Morton Grove into the mix.

“Did you go to Vanderbilt?”, Vanessa politely inquired.

Tim admitted he did but that she wouldn’t remember him.

“I knew a lot of guys”, Vanessa smiled, “Are you so sure?”

“Weren’t you the little tart”, Sabrina jokingly remarked.

Vanessa turned to the voluptuous beauty clad in a figure hugging sweater and Gap jeans, “I was very popular throughout high school, even the guys I didn’t date liked me.”

As the waiter led them to their table, Tim coolly told Vanessa, “I was kind of an introvert back then, a real mess, you wouldn’t have noticed me.”

Vanessa slowed her pace, twisting at her waist, she studiously ran her eyes over Tim, “A late bloomer, I’m very impressed.”

The cheerful banter uninterrupted while partaking in Chicago style deep dish pizza and beer.

Later the foursome drifted into the cozy bar adjacent to the restaurant.

Tim kept his faithful obligation to Beth Anne though it was quite difficult.
Vanessa flirted like a pro, brushing up against him, maneuvering her fingers over his shoulder.

Tim couldn’t resist scrutinizing Vanessa’s sultry appearance, and she noticed.

Vanessa favored Tim with an inviting smile, reaching over she cupped his hand and tenderly massaged it.

Tim was heavily enticed but his better nature provoked small talk.

“You still in touch with your Vanderbilt friends?” Tim asked.

“Just Rachel and occasionally Candace. I’ve lost track of Tina and Denise, though I’ve seen Beth Anne once or twice since graduation.”

Tim acknowledged Vanessa with a smirk, “Yeah about Beth Anne….”

Vanessa spoke over Tim, “I ran into Beth Anne at Burger King, I think it was last summer. She didn’t talk much, was with some geeky girl.”

“That would be her friend, Kylie.”

Vanessa wrapped her arm around Tim’s, “I guess our friendship wasn’t that concrete or it would have lasted, though she was cool to hang out with in high school.”

Tim wobbled his head sideways, about to mention he was dating Beth Anne when Vanessa pulled a pen out of her purse and grabbed his hand.

“I’m giving you my number”, Vanessa composedly announced as she scribbled over Tim’s hand, “Give me a call whenever you like.”

Tim half-smiled, “It’s nothing personnel, Vanessa, but I’m involved with someone.”

Vanessa planted her hand over Tim’s shoulder, “Meeting a guy whose loyal to girl while miles apart is very rare. Although there’s nothing wrong with a couple of friends getting together for a few beers.”

“Don’t’cha think?” Vanessa winked.

Vanessa and Sabrina took off, Tim and Randy stayed for another beer.

“Told you she was a babe, was she that attractive in high school?” Randy inquired.

Tim sipped his beer before responding, “Yeah, more so now.”

“She seemed to be into you or didn’t you notice?”

Tim shook his head, “Yeah. If I wasn’t attached, I’d probably ask her out.”

“Probably?”, Randy smirked, then boisterously laughed.

Matt L.

DIVERGENCE PART FIVE

Tim was spending an extra lengthy phone conversation with Beth Anne that Valentine evening and had just finished quoting Elizabeth Barrett Browning, “….I love thee to the depth and breadth and height my soul can reach.”

She had received Tim’s flowers and traditional Valentine card earlier in the day, though vocally conveying their sentiments was extremely special to Beth Anne.

Beth Anne had sent Tim a card as well, featuring the Marvel Superheroes. Tim did indeed appreciate the gesture and the lighthearted poem enclosed.

“Not a day goes by when I don’t think about you”, Beth Anne serenely told Tim, “Can’t wait until spring break.”

“Same here”, Tim admitted, “Just a few more months and we’ll be together.”

The banter continued, reminiscing over their magnificent summer, movies and current events, the conversation unsurprisingly jovial.

“I’m going to an impromptu Anti- Valentine bash with Kylie and some friends, what plans do you have for tonight?” Beth Anne inquired.

“Randy’s out with Sabrina, so I’ll be by myself, I’ll have ample opportunity to study”, Tim replied.

“Nice to hear!” Beth Anne squeaked.
Tim confidently asserted, “You’ve nothing to worry about, Beth Anne. You’re the only girl for me.”

“I know, I apologize for being so awfully insecure”, Beth Anne’s voice passively cracking.

Tim’s patience was commendable and he put a humorous spin on her apprehensiveness, “I’m the one who should be worried. You’re so beautiful; I can imagine a lot of guys flirting with you.”

Beth Anne giggled.

………………………………..............................................

Tim turned to his books after the conversation came to a close, though his studying was interrupted by a knock on the door. It was Vanessa.

Vanessa’s black mane was worn upward in an elegant style while her slim figure was garbed in a snug red dress. She handed Tim a Valentine card, “I wanted to deliver this in person.”

Tim accepted the card and invited Vanessa into his small apartment.

“I appreciate the card but I think I made it clear that I’m involved with someone”, Tim affably told Vanessa.

Vanessa swaggered over to the old comfortable looking sofa and took a seat.

Vanessa ignored Tim’s comment and instead smiled, “A gentleman usually offers a lady a drink.”

Tim nodded and brought Vanessa a beer, opening it for her before handing it off.

“Going to look at the card?” Vanessa asked after a long sip.
“This is very nice of you”, Tim eloquently held his ground as he opened the card, “But I don’t want to give you the wrong idea. I’m in a relationship.”

Tim looked over the card, Vanessa’s sentiment written over the generic Valentine prose, “I Hope We Can Get To Know Each Other Better, Vanessa”

Tim sufficiently thanked Vanessa for the card, his inner thoughts relishing the quirk of fate.
He might have been invisible to the popular crowd while in high school, though now two of Vanderbilt high school’s most popular chicks were keenly interested in him.

Vanessa noticed Beth Anne’s card and swiped it off the end table, “From your girlfriend?”

Tim dug into his pockets as Vanessa silently read. She emitted a cute, girlie girl giggle, “Very sweet, a little corny but sweet just the same.”

Tim motioned toward Vanessa, about to pull the card away when she noticed its author, “Beth Anne!”

Tim removed the card from Vanessa’s fingers, “Yeah, I’m dating your friend, Beth Anne.”

Vanessa elevated her eyebrows and admitted with a witty grin, “I always knew Beth had good taste, more power to her.”

Tim nodded, “Glad you approve.”

Vanessa sipped the beer, then patted the cushions of the sofa, “Take a seat and we can socialize for a while, I’d love to hear about you and Beth.”

Tim obliged Vanessa’s request but sat far enough away to prevent physical contact.

Tim momentarily gazed into Vanessa’s eyes, she consequentially smiled.

“Um, there’s nothing much to tell. I met Beth Anne out of blue this summer, and things just happened.”

Vanessa maneuvered her position on the sofa, giving Tim sufficient view of her enthralling face and form, “Summer romances are always special.”

Tim nodded, his gentle features broadcasting his uneasiness. Tim couldn’t deny his attraction to Vanessa.

Beth Anne in all her chubbiness was still irrefutably beautiful in Tim’s eyes yet in an opposing manner, Vanessa’s appearance revved up his hormones.

Tim casually brought up school, grades and goals, Vanessa willingly told him all he needed to know.

“I’m no Einstein but I’m satisfied with my grades. My major is sports medicine which makes sense, in one way or another, my family is in healthcare. My short term goal is finishing college, I hope too become an RN, long term, I’m not so concerned. I live each day as if it’s a separate life, I let tomorrow take care of itself.”

“Wow, I’m rather impressed”, Tim smiled, “I admire your philosophy.”

Vanessa inched closer to Tim, her mellifluous tone defining her amorous ambition, “What say we share this evening together, throw caution to the wind.”

“You’re a beautiful woman, isn’t there somebody else you’d rather be with?” Tim blurted.

Vanessa brought her face within Tim’s, “I know a lot of guys, but none of them matter to me as much as you.”

Tim’s brow crinkled, “I’m very flattered, Vanessa. But I already explained, I’m in a relationship with a woman that I care about very much.”

Vanessa pulled back, slanting her body away from Tim, and she smiled, “Fair enough. Beth Anne was a decent friend, your virtue’s safe.”

Tim bobbled his head, cheerfully asserting, “Had I never became involved with Beth, tonight would have ended much differently.”

“Yeah”, Vanessa sipped her beer then straighten her posture, “I’ll take that as a compliment. Would you mind if I just finish this beer and we talk for a while?”

Tim agreed, “Sure, you know this would never have happened in high school.”

“We kind of kept to ourselves back then, us preppy girls. At least Beth Anne made friends with everyone; I can understand your attraction to her.”

Tim nodded, Vanessa continued, “If I ignored you, any malice was unintentionally; let’s start a new chapter where we’re friends.”

Tim socialized with Vanessa the remainder of the night, drinking a few beers and conversing over trivial subjects.

The semester advanced forward, Tim kept in contact with Beth Anne as best as possible while the bond of friendship blossomed between him and Vanessa.

Matt L.

DIVERGENCE PART SIX

“Drop by the Restaurant Tim”, Beth Anne happily squeaked, “I can’t wait to see you!”

The conversation over the phone on the eve of spring break.

Tim was on board, “Same here, babe. I’ll be back in Morton Grove before noon, swing on by after I get squared away at home.”

Beth Anne was lounging over the sofa, her hand roaming over her billowing belly in a circular motion.

“Thing is, I’m working all weekend but I’m totally free in the evening and I’m off Monday but I’m suppose to…” Beth Anne’s excited screeching increased in volume.

Tim interrupted, “Whoa, be cool. Once I’m back, we’ll manage some kind of schedule to be together.”

Beth Anne pressed her fingers into the doughy tissue that had invested her tummy, the flabbiness obscuring her fingertips, “That sounds so drastic!”

“I have other friends I would like to see”, Tim divulged without remorse, “But all my free time will be spent with you.”

“Don’t do me any favors”, Beth Anne pouted, a bleak tone infiltrating her once jubilant voice.

“Don’t be that way”, Tim replied, “I think the world of you, it’s just that break is only so long and I made a few plans with Marty and Ryan. Nothing personnel, just guy stuff.”

Beth Anne maneuvered her T-shirt over her bulging belly and repositioned herself on the sofa, “I apologize, I guess I’m being a little possessive. Just that the time we‘ve spent apart has made me more anxious in seeing you.”

There was a whimper to Beth Anne’s voice, and Tim kindly responded, “I know that kiddo, just be confident that I care a great deal for you.”

Tim then abruptly ended the conversation, “I’ll see you tomorrow, alright.”

Beth Anne sweetly hummed goodnight.

On Tim’s end, after immediately hanging up the phone, he joined his company in the living room.

“All set to see Beth Anne tomorrow I presume”, Vanessa asked with an impish smirk.

Tim took his seat on the sofa, a short distance from Vanessa who was reading a novel, “Yeah, it’s been a while, I miss her.”

Vanessa rocked her head, “Yeah you do”, she then playfully teased him, “Gonna get all romantic with your sweetheart, gonna make love to her.”

Tim grabbed his brew and upon a modest swig admitted, “It’s not that deep yet, at least I don’t think so.”

Vanessa giggled, “You’re too beautiful a catch to slip out of her hands.”

On Beth Anne’s end, her mind was preoccupied with Tim’s surge of popularity. Clutching her portly belly that distended outward in complete flabbiness, she treated herself to some leftover lasagna to quell her nerves. Questioning if the additional pounds she packed on might scale back his amorous feelings for her.

………………………………..........................................................

Though evidently cool in attitude but yet still anxious in seeing Beth Anne, Tim hurried over to the friendly family style restaurant where she toiled, a mere couple of hours after returning home from State University.

His hair neatly combed, sporting a colorful sweatshirt with the University emblem and a popular brand of brown slacks, Tim looked especially preppy. The 25-pounds or so that he lost adding a much more self-assured mode in his gait.

Tim walked into the cozy establishment, pausing at the entrance, looking over the crowd of patrons and the various waitresses for any sign of his girl.

A pencil thin though undeniably pretty young waitress took notice of Tim and strutted toward him.
Her short wavy blond hair in a trendy style, a wide smile parting her pink lipstick coated lips.
“Take a seat anywhere”, she melodiously hummed, “I’ll be with’cha shortly, hon.”

Naturally Tim nonchalantly noticed her alluring attributes before informing her, “I’m here to see Beth Anne.”

The waitress stopped in her tracks and back stepped toward Tim, “Are you Beth’s brother?”

“Actually we’re dating”, Tim told her, “I’m her boyfriend.”

“No shit”, the waitress responded with a perplexed expression, “She told me all about you, I didn’t realize you looked so sweet.”

Tim felt a little awkward but hardly enough too matter, “Thanks.”

“I’m Kim, Beth’s in back, take a seat, I’ll get her.”

Tim sat down at the table closest to the cash register, the table that they considered theirs.

Kim swiftly made it back to Tim, though with another waitress instead of Beth Anne.
Pleasingly plump and with an impressive rack, her brown hair in a bouncy ponytail.

“This is Catlin, she wanted to meet you too.”

A warm smile took to Catlin’s beautiful face, “I heard a lot about you, though you’re not what we expected.”

“How so?”, Tim asked.

Kim blithely giggled, “When Beth said she had a boyfriend, we kind of imagined a dorky type of guy, nothing like you.”

Tim shook his head, “I’m glad too have surprised you, but is Beth Anne busy?”

“Not really, just helping out in the kitchen”, Kim perkily conveyed, subsequently persuading Catlin too get Beth Anne.

Kim moved within inches of Tim, a salacious curve upon her lips and she fluttered her eyes, “I don’t know what plans you have with Beth tonight but a bunch of us are getting together at this dance club in Lincolnwood, you’re welcome to join us.”

“I’ll have to see what plans Beth Anne has_”, Tim replied just as Beth Anne wandered into view.

“Don’t be a stranger”, Kim chirped to Tim as she glided away from the table.

Beth Anne’s auburn mane was set in an upward style, proficiently detailing the roundness of her lovely features. Her cheeks had become somewhat pudgier; her double chin scarcely thicker, a great deal of the acne had faded away. Though her nerdy looking - matronly brand of eyewear didn’t exactly compliment her face.

Beth Anne’s blue uniform was a shade darker than the other waitresses, she needed a new one due to the recent spurt of additional poundage. The same hue of blue corresponding to the other waitresses was unavailable in her size.

The chubbiness of Beth Anne’s figure amplified the softness of her spherical form, especially her mid-section and rump.

They simultaneously smiled at each other before Beth Anne slid her spacious caboose into the booth. “Hey you, college boy”, she squeaked, “I’m so amazed, you keep on looking better.”

“And so do you”, Tim responded as he reached over and took her hand.

He now exerted a confidence that was absent throughout high school.

Beth Anne tenderly squeezed Tim’s hand, bobbling her head from side to side while blushing, “Aw, that’s very nice but I‘ve gotten chubbier.”

Tim was honest to the bone, “Maybe you’ve put on some weight, I don’t think you’ve ever looked more beautiful.”

Beth Anne pressed her lips together, puffing up her cheeks before exhaling, “I’m so glad you think that way, truth is_.”

Tim knew where Beth Anne was heading and calmly interrupted her as he massaged her hand, “Let’s not go there, try to respect my sincerity, alright?”

Tim deliberately changed the subject, mentioning how much he missed her and making suggestions pertaining to their evening together.

Tim couldn’t deny the changes to Beth Anne’s appearance; her charming features had considerably softened, her breasts appeared a cup size larger, and her flourishing belly had become significantly paunchy.
However, Tim’s observation rang true; Beth Anne never looked more beautiful.

……………………………….........................................

Tim happened by Beth Anne’s apartment later that evening almost a full hour late.

Naturally he apologized, stating that he was out with Marty and Ryan and a few other friends playing darts at Lucky’s sport bar.

Beth Anne didn’t appear at all frazzled, commenting that she understood, “You haven’t seen your pals in a while, it’s realistic that you’d want to spend time with them.”

They cuddled together on the sofa, watching TV and conversed over a wide range of topics.

“I’m working the entire weekend”, Beth Anne uttered in a distinct whine, “But after that I’m off, the only thing is, I need to go shopping,”

Tim ran his hand over Beth Anne’s upper arm, “No big deal, I’ll be happy to tag along if you like? After all, I went shopping with you before, remember?”

“It was our first date!” Beth Anne chuckled.

Tim inquired on what necessitated the shopping expedition and after a short sigh Beth Anne relinquished, “I have to buy a dress for my cousin’s wedding. It’s in June, would you accompany me?”

Tim acknowledged Beth Anne by gently squeezing her waist, “You know it, we’re an item, it’s expected of me.”

Beth Anne overanalyzed Tim’s remark, cautiously responding, “You’re under no obligation to attend, if you don’t want too.”

Tim ran his fingers over Beth Anne’s jaw line, “Don’t be silly, babe. I want the whole world to know I’m your man.”

Beth Anne coyly warbled, “I know I’ve been acting very insecure lately; I’ll work on it.”

“Don’t be, you’re an amazing young lady”, Tim smiled before bestowing upon her a delicate kiss.

“I’ve always hated wedding and now that I’m fat again, I dread them even more. Everyone is so well dressed and everything is so fancy, I feel completely out of place.”

“Alright”, Tim chuckled, “Don’t be so self-conscious. What if you found a beautiful gown that agreed with your beautiful figure, would that put you in a better mood?”

Beth Anne smirked, “You really think I’m beautiful?”

Tim admitted he did, then explained, “Instead of shopping at Parker’s Department store, why not try somewhere else to shop?”

“I like the what they have at Parker’s; the gowns at the mall are far too expensive and trendy.”

Beth Anne’s podgy belly mildly jiggled as she brushed her fingers over the slope.

“They probably won’t even have anything my size!”, She uncomplicatedly giggled.

“Listen to me, will ya”, Tim grinned, “I have a friend, she’s a plus size gal too, I know she’ll be glad to help you select a gorgeous gown that will compliment your figure.”

It took Beth Anne’s mind a few seconds to fully register Tim’s suggestion. “Really? Who?”

“Elena Milner, she says she knows you.”

Beth Anne released a ridiculously loud giggle, “Yes! I haven’t seen Elena in years. Does she know I‘m back too being plus size?”

Tim nodded, “I hope you don’t mind.”

Beth Anne wrapped her arms around Tim’s neck, “She knew me back when I was tubby, it’s cool. Now if it was one of my other high school friends like Denise or Vanessa….”

Tim seized the moment and brought his lips to hers.

Tim never mentioned to Vanessa that Beth Anne had gained weight, and he certainly didn’t tell Beth Anne that he now considered her a genuine friend. Why jeopardize a perfectly nice evening with his girl?

(Part Six continued in post 36 of this thread)

atcAlan

I Love Sweet Pears
Matt, another Great chapter. I'm really liking this story!

Alan

Matt L.

Hello Alan,
Thank you for your interest in my story. There's more to chapter 6 that I'm currently editing. I hope to post it soon.

Cheers, Matt

Matt L.

Over the weekend Tim and Beth Anne shared a fair amount of time together. Mainly hanging out at her parents flat and watching TV or playing video games between casual conversation. Actually Tim only challenged Beth Anne to a single game, afterward he was a spectator.

Monday afternoon Tim and Beth Anne with Elena were settled in the Burger King parking lot where they discussed shopping options while enjoying lunch.

The females were both discreetly garbed; Beth Anne in an oversize flannel shirt and blue jeans, Elena in a basic black T-shirt and jeans as well. On the other hand Tim was dressed to the hilt in a fashionable button down shirt and slacks.

“I’m aware that the mall isn’t your cup of tea”, Elena agreed upon Beth Anne’s disapproval of the pricy shops and designer apparel, “But I know a couple decent boutiques that cater to plus size babes.”

Beth Anne scratched the side of her head, “As long as they aren’t too expensive, I’m on a fixed income.”

Tim just sat back, relishing his meals as the females engaged in girl-speak.

“We’re on the same page”, Elena replied, “And why spend a lot of money on a dress you’ll probably only wear once.”

“Tell me about it, I’ll probably outgrow it before I have the chance to wear it again!” Beth Anne chuckled.

Elena shook her head, nibbling on her burger before conveying, “Too bad you don’t have a nice guy who’ll take you to places where you actually have to dress up.”

Beth Anne continued where Elena concluded, “Tell me about it, Laine, my boyfriend is a major tightwad, all he ever wants to do is watch sports and drink beer_at home!”

The females turned to Tim with artificially contrived expressions of scorn.

Tim pulled back his head, “What are you picking on me for?”

The chicks teamed up in laughter in which Tim ultimately joined in.

Elena playfully tapped the back of Tim’s head, “We’re going to Skokie, I’ll give you directions while you drive.”

Tim finished his burger and proceeded to wipe his hands with a paper napkin, sarcastically uttering, “I thought I was through being bullied in high school.”

“Not a chance!” Elena jovially chimed, causing Beth Anne to emit a high pitched giggle.

………………………………..............................

Big block letters flamboyantly painted over the vast picture window;

LADIES OF STYLE INC.

Tim strolled behind the chicks as they entered the posh boutique, Elena whirling around, both hands catching him in the shoulder blades.

“Not a chance stud!” Elena mulishly announced, “The lady needs some privacy; park your ass at the Starbucks across the street. We’ll fetch you when we’re through.”

Tim cracked a wacky smile, “Fine by me!”

Turning around he took to the pavement and hightailed it over to Starbucks.

Once inside the boutique, and as they maneuvered through the rows of gowns, Beth Anne was all a buzz, “Thanks for helping me find a dress, even when I was lighter, finding a dress for a special occasion was a chore….”

Elena pleasantly grinned as Beth Anne chaotically chirped away.

“…….Tim told you I gained weight, he says I look beautiful but I really don’t know if he’s just being nice because there’s so much more of me…..”

“I’ve known Tim for years, Beth”, Elena replied while browsing through the dress rack, “He wouldn’t go shopping with you if he didn‘t admire you.”

Beth Anne stood in front of a full length mirror, meticulously studying her appearance, “I don’t look anything like I did in high school.”

“A lot of us don’t”, Elena unambiguously pointed out, “But he really does think you‘re beautiful.”

Beth Anne rifled through the dress racks, her mundane expression depicting her disappointment.

“Despite being somewhat of a dork, Tim is, if he’s anything ,very honest”, Elena admitted.

Beth Anne finally discovered a dress that halfway appeased her, bringing it to her body to check for size, she noticed the price tag.

“$750.00! Do they think I crap money!” Beth Anne screeched at full volume.

Elena softly giggled as she lifted the dress from Beth Anne’s grip and returned it to the rack.

Elena volunteered to see the saleswoman about any possible sales, though this tactic proved futile.

“I know another shop that might be closer too your price range”, Elena told Beth Anne, “They don’t have much in formal dress wear but we’ll check it out.”

……………………………….........................

Tim was minding his time at Starbucks, enjoying some kind of blended coffee and looking over Sports Illustrated.

“Hey, we’re going!” Elena blurted, seemingly emerging out of nowhere.

Tim sipped his coffee, “That was quick, Beth find something nice.”

Elena diligently informed Tim that they were going elsewhere to shop because Beth Anne was unable to find anything she could afford.

Tim compliantly went with the program.

Four shops in all, and finally in a quaint little shop located in a north shore burb, Beth Anne found suitable evening wear - with a glitch.

“It’s a lovely gown to the max but it kind of shows off my big stomach.”

Elena looked Beth Anne up and down, the navy blue strapless was quite exquisite though definitely drew attention to Beth Anne’s bulbous belly.

“You could always wear a girdle”, Elena suggested.

Beth Anne nodded though carped in a gawky tone, “I haven’t worn a girdle in months, there’s so much more of me now, I don’t know if it’ll fit….”

Elena good-naturedly replied, “I’ll see my aunt, she wears the ultra industrious type.”

Beth Anne slid her hand over her bulging belly, “I guess that’ll work.”

Once Beth Anne paid for the gown, she thanked Elena for the assistance.

“My pleasure”, Elena perkily stated, “But we’re not through yet. I want to help you select jewelry and discuss what to do with your hair.”

“Honest!” Beth Anne peeped.

“I’ll drop by your place sometime next week and we’ll get down to business!” Elena grinned.

After hooking up with Tim, Elena suggested that they should join her later in the evening to play some darts and have a few beers.

Tim agreed and later that evening he showed up with Beth Anne at the unobtrusive neighborhood sports bar. While Tim was adept in socializing, Beth Anne sat back and faded into the crowd. It became evident in her mind that their roles were now reserved. Tim was the popular - cool guy, she was now the quiet -wallflower variety of chubby chick.

During the remaining portion of spring break, Tim and Beth Anne were together as much as possible, their romance in full bloom despite her insecurities.

Once back at college, Tim still wrote and phoned Beth Anne, though less frequently.

Beth Anne wasn’t at all disheartened by the decrease in attention, she kind of anticipated it.

Matt L.

DIVERGENCE: CHAPTER SEVEN

School was out for the summer, and though Tim had a jammed pack schedule for the first week of his return home, he was nonetheless anxious in seeing Beth Anne.

Tim did indeed invite Beth Anne to a few social events, though she always had work or some other menial task to manage and used them as an excuse to demur. Eventually they got together, and as the summer progressed, so did their romance. Tim made Beth Anne his top priority and worked his schedule of hanging out with his friends and various other activities around Beth Anne’s so they could spend as much time with each other as possible.

“I’m going to have to work the overnight shift at the restaurant Saturday“, Beth Anne told Tim while walking home from the movies. “Would you drop by and keep me company?”

Tim happily agreed, “Yeah, of course I will. I‘d like that very much.”

“Me too!” Beth Anne squeaked, “I like it when you’re around.”

Tim avidly kissed Beth Anne at her doorway, his hands securely fasten to her thick waist, her breasts compressing against his chest.

Beth Anne softly sighed as the embrace momentarily broke, placing her head over his shoulder, she tenderly admitted, “I wish we didn’t have to say goodnight.”

Tim soothingly whispered, “Dream of the happiness we’ll have tomorrow”, before bringing his lips back to hers.

On the surface everything seemed right; a beautiful evening with a romantic sendoff.

Though for Beth Anne there was a quandary in the opaque silence.

Beth Anne’s weight had steadily increased while Tim was back at school.
She felt thoroughly uncomfortable around his friends, the cause of the turned down invitations.

Tim himself was evermore appealing; not only in appearance but his people skills had improved.

Beth Anne privately wondered if their relationship would survive if she became even heavier and if she could actually fit in with his throng of friends.

Parting company, Tim assured Beth Anne that he would see her tomorrow and they could arrange their plans based on anything she desired.

Dimples took root in Beth Anne’s pudgy cheeks, “That’s sweet, but keep in mind; I don’t expect you to make a fuss over me. I’ll be happy with just a leisurely evening watching TV.”

Tim leaned in for a final goodnight kiss.

………………………………..........................................

Saturday night and Tim happened by the restaurant a little after midnight, sliding into their special booth to surprise Beth Anne unannounced.

The place was quite busy and it was another waitress who noticed Tim.

“Oh, you’re Beth’s boyfriend”, the pretty middle age waitress warmly grinned. “I’ll have her stop by.”

A few minutes later, Beth Anne wandered over to Tim.

Her auburn mane worn upward, accenting the roundness of her face, deprived of makeup yet resonating a natural beauty. Beth Anne’s ill-fitting uniform embracing her fuller figure, the material stretching over her large breasts while emphasizing the roundness of her stout belly and roomy hindquarters.

If anything, Tim experienced a sensual buzz as he looked his sweetheart over and keenly smiled, “When was the last time I told you, you’re beautiful.”

Beth Anne’s appealing features inherited a surprised smirk, her cheeks blushing rosy red as she rolled her eyes, “You don’t have to flatter me too get a free meal!”

She then gawkily laughed, “Nah, whatever you like, it’s on me.”

Tim backed up in the booth, his hand sliding over the table top, an acute fervor in his eyes, “That’s an interesting suggestion; I’d eat almost anything on you.”

Beth Anne moved in closer to Tim, her head roving from side to side, her hands folded over her bulbous belly.

“There’s people here”, Beth Anne bashfully communicated but rerouted her thoughts, “Almost anything?”

Tim nodded, “Well, soup could be problematic but something like melted ice cream or ravioli.”

“You really love your Italian food!” Beth Anne peeped.

“No, I love you.”

Beth Anne jerked back her head, “What! You love me?”

Tim slanted his face downward as he shook his head, and then retrieved his courage, his eyes met hers, “Yes Elizabeth Anne Edelstein, I love you.”

Then he questioned with a wrinkled brow, “I thought you knew?”

The first time in a while there was a melodious chirp to Beth Anne’s voice, equivalent to the pureness of her smile.

“Sometimes a girl gets an inkling when a man really cares for her but lately my mind hasn’t been where it should be. Are you disappointed I didn’t know?”

Tim was about to reply when the middle age waitress interrupted, “I don’t mean to intrude but the place is booming,”

Beth Anne nodded, and then backing away from Tim, she extended her arm and smiled while pointing directly at him, “We’ll finish this conversation later!”

“I’m not going anywhere!” Tim loudly answered back.

Tim quietly observed Beth Anne working the tables, making cheerful banter with the customers and occasionally glancing over at him with a resplendent smile.

****It was the middle age waitress who maneuvered over to Tim a few minutes later, giddily in speech as she poured coffee into his cup.

“I don’t know what you said to Beth but she’s in the best mood I’ve ever seen her in.”

Twisting at her hips to check on Beth, she resumed her attention to Tim, “She usually mopes around here like a bitter old maid, especially when she’s around Catlin and Kimberly. They’re always bragging about their fella’s and everything that goes with it. I think Beth gets a little self-conscious.”

Tim poured cream into his coffee, “Um, I wasn’t aware of that.”

“I got to get back to work, my shift ends in an hour”, the waitress remarked, adding with a grandiose smile, “She told me a little bit about you, you seem like your heart’s in the right place. Keep making her happy, will ya.”

Tim firmly shook his head, “That’s my ambition.”

……………………………….............................

Eventually things settled down, only a few customers in the joint, the other waitress calling it a night, but not before wishing Tim a pleasant evening.

Beth Anne diligently made a round of the other customers, refilling their coffee cups and making affable small talk then proceeded onward to Tim.

Beth Anne rested her hip against the booth, “It won’t be much longer, we’ll have plenty of time to visit.”

“You gotta do what you gotta do”, Tim replied.

“You hungry? Need something to eat?” Beth Anne inquired with twinkling eyes.

“Yeah, you know what. I’ll have the rib dinner, the full slab. And I’ll pay for it, but I’m willing to share if you’d care to indulge.”

Beth Anne brought the check pad over her breast, “Ain’t you a man after my own heart. You want the full dinner or ala carte?”

“The works!” Tim enthusiastically sung out. “Baked potato, soup, salad. Everything that’s included.”

Beth Anne wrote down the specifics, beer barley soup, French dressing and carrots along with the main course.

“Those people over there about to leave, if you don’t mind, I’ll bring you the soup and salad once I ring them up, then we can finish our discussion.”

Tim favored Beth Anne with a dignified smile, “I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Dimples took root in Beth Anne’s apple-cheeks about to respond when two separate small groups of people sashayed into the restaurant.

“Oh shoot!” Beth Anne blurted.

Tim chivalrously announced, “We have all night, babe. I’m not going anywhere.”

Beth Anne went to work, handing out menus, ringing up the departing customers, taking orders, and getting drinks.

Tim patiently sat, no qualms at all, though at one point he questioned if he should have brought a novel.

Beth Anne rung up the other bunch of exiting patrons then resumed waiting on the remaining two groups, and a couple of gents at the counter.

“They’re not paying her enough”, Tim conscientiously construed just as three female patrons walked into the restaurant.

The young ladies, scrupulously detailed in appearance as if they had just been out to an upscale event, boisterously talking a blue streak, carried themselves straight to a table a good distance from the entrance. One of the females promptly took a seat, the other two slowly whirling around, scoping out the eatery and follow customers. The second female glided into her chair while the young woman who remain on her feet veered her face into Tim’s direction.

Her brown hair was in an elaborate pixie style, perfectly displaying her agreeable features while an elegant black mini-dress emphasized her slender figure.

It was Vanessa.

Eye-contact ensued and Vanessa courteously excused herself from her friends and bolted over to Tim. Wasting no time, Vanessa leaped into the other side of the booth, “Hey hotshot, here for a midnight snack or are with someone?”

Tim leaned in toward Vanessa who sat in the other booth like she owned it.

Tilting his head, a persuasive timbre in his voice, “I’m with Beth Anne.”

Vanessa brought her body closer to the table, a benign smile pitched over her face, “How lovely, I’d like to see Beth, tell her about her wonderful catch and my awful jealousy.”

Tim reluctantly nodded. Though Tim acknowledged Beth Anne as his significant other while in school, he never told anyone, including Vanessa that Beth Anne had put on a radical amount of weight or that she worked as a waitress. Vanessa seemed like a classy young woman, she wasn’t anything like the superficial girl he knew in high school.

Tim fidgeted with his thoughts as Vanessa jibber-jabbed.

“We went to Chicago, Rachel, Tammy and I, hung out at Excalibur’s, it’s an excellent place to party if you don’t mind the additional cover charge for the club upstairs….”

Tim locked his eyes onto Vanessa’s, fully confident that she would accept Beth Anne even though wasn’t the same slim blond preppy girl that she called a friend back at Vanderbilt high.

The words about to leave Tim’s lips as he saw Beth Anne making a bee line over to them.

Vanessa kept chattering away, Beth Anne moving toward them, Tim slowly swung his head from side to side upon catching the nauseous expression that coated Beth Anne’s beautiful face.

Vanessa brought her hand gently over Tim’s while stressing an eminent point, maneuvering her face upward as Beth Anne reached the booth.

“Nothing for me at the moment miss”, Vanessa smiled, she subsequently turned to Tim, “What about you sweetie?”

Beth Anne cast her eyes unto Tim, composed but bitter, “Yeah sweetie, what about you.”

Tim tucked his head into his chest.

Vanessa noticed something familiar about the waitress, she was very pretty for a thick chick, she kind of resembled a chubby version of_.

It clicked in Vanessa’s head, “Beth Anne!”

Vanessa swung her face toward Tim, removing her hand from his in the process, and heatedly inquired, “Why didn’t you tell me Beth Anne got_.”

Vanessa paused, though almost instantly finishing her sentence, “_worked here!”

Tim regained his wits, gazed upward at Beth Anne, about to speak though Vanessa spoke over him.

There was a penitent vibe to Vanessa’s voice as she stared into Beth Anne’s face, “I heard a few rumors about you, that you….”

Beth Anne ran her hand over her round protruding belly, an unemotional feel to her voice, “Yeah, I changed, changed a lot. I’m not the same girl who could beat you in laps around the gym or swap clothes.”

Vanessa nervously smiled, “You have to understand, Tim and I are just friends. We met on campus, studied together, hung out a little, nothing else. If anything Tim talked you up volumes, said how wonderful you were. Our relationship is truly platonic.”

Tim finally pulled himself into the mix, “Vanessa’s telling you the truth, there’s nothing between us, we‘re friends.”

“You just happened too talk me up but never mentioned I gained weight?”

Tim sighed, “It didn’t seem relevant.”

“Are you ashamed of me because I got heavy?” Beth Anne asked.

Vanessa took Beth Anne’s question as her cue to leave and gradually exited out of the booth, “I’ll dine elsewhere, you’ve got a lot to talk about.”

However, as Vanessa walked around Beth Anne, she took a step back and intrepidly confronted her.

“Don’t be stupid and loose the best thing that could ever happen to you because of a misunderstanding. You want honesty, how’s this. I like Tim; he’s probably the best example of a man that I’ve met in a long time. I needn’t recite his qualities, you’re aware of how genuine and thoughtful he is. I wish Tim was my man, and he would be if I didn’t think enough of him to respect his relationship with you. A relationship that I doubt you deserve!”

Beth Anne didn’t have a chance for rebuttal; Vanessa marched over to her companions and loudly announced, “We’re going! I think the Burger Joint is still open!”

Vanessa and company hurriedly out of the restaurant, Tim half-way smirked, “How do you suppose they know about the Burger Joint?”

Beth Anne insensitively gazed over Tim, “You’re joking, you just offended me and you’re making jokes.”

Tim perched his hand over the end of the table, slanting his body toward Beth Anne, “How did I offend you? Vanessa’s a friend who just walked over to say hello, nothing more. Matter of fact, she was anxious in seeing you.”

“She saw me alright”, Beth Anne grumpily remarked as she brought her hand to her hip, “Why didn’t you tell her that I put on weight? If me being fat isn’t that much of a deal.”

Tim leaned into the cushions, “It isn’t a big deal, anyway what was I supposed to say?”

Beth Anne momentarily swayed her face away from Tim before conveying, “You could have simply said; Beth Anne has gained weight but it’s a wonderful boon to our relationship because she now accepts herself for who she is, not who she was pretending to be.”

"That’s very good”, Tim smiled.

Beth Anne lifted her chin, “That’s because it’s the way I feel.”

Tim reached out and took Beth Anne’s hand, his voice trembling, “I could apologize all day and the truth is still the same, the subject never came up.”

Beth Anne withdrew her hand, checking on the customers before telling Tim, “Wait here, I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

It took more than just a few minutes before Beth Anne made it back to Tim, during this time he profoundly pondered how he might be able correct the sticky situation and hoped that maybe it wasn’t that dire.

Beth Anne stood practically on top of Tim as he sat on the edge of the booth.

“That was a little embarrassing”, Beth Anne’s voice sounding acutely stringent, “Right in the front of the customers.”

Tim couldn’t help but to shift his eyes downward.

“You do understand there was nothing_.” His voice softening as he spoke, “_between us, I was loyal to you. Always loyal.”

Beth Anne rubbed the side of her face, wrinkles forming in her brow, “It’s a busy night, busier than I anticipated. Why not go home and give me a call in the afternoon, we can talk it over then.”

“I don’t mind waiting for you kiddo, everything’s alright, isn’t it?”

Beth Anne candidly replied, “I know it was a misunderstanding but I’m very upset at the moment and its better if I stay busy and not to dwell.”

Tim eased himself out of the booth, removed a couple of dollars from his pocket and placed the money on the table. “Here’s for the coffee. I wish you’d tell me why you’re upset.”

Beth Anne went back to her customers, not even watching Tim walk out the door.

Matt L.

Tim drove around the neighborhood for awhile, obviously disheartened over the misunderstanding, trying to convince himself everything would work out fine.

Tim eventually pulled into the gravel parking lot adjacent to the Burger Joint, his mind aching with doubt while his stomach hadn’t been filled as planned.

He knew Vanessa was probably still there but he wasn’t ready to go home yet and was genuinely hungry. Did it really matter anyway?

Tim acknowledged Vanessa and her friends with a nod, and then strolled over to the counter, leafing through the sticky menu with purpose.

Vanessa excused herself from her crew, taking a seat next to Tim, her fingers gently pressing down on the menu to gather Tim’s attention.

“Hi”, Vanessa benignly smiled, “Sorry I made things sort of uncomfortable for you.”

Tim laid the menu on the counter, “It’s not your fault, not really.”

Vanessa’s facial expression matched her body language, full of distraught and profoundly concerned.

“Its obvious things didn’t go so well or you wouldn’t be eating here. Can I do anything to help?”

The waitress walked over, Tim ordered a modest burger and fries, the conversation resumed.

“I don’t want to bother you, anyway, your food is getting cold”, Tim told Vanessa.

Vanessa tilted her head, “It’s no bother, we’re friends.”

A brief patch of silence was interrupted by Vanessa’s question, “Why didn’t you tell me that Beth gained weight?”

Tim leaned toward Vanessa, head in hand, elbow on the counter, “There’s no real reason. I’m not ashamed that she’s heavy.”

Vanessa folded her hands over her lap, pivoting her face inches away from his, “I know, you’re better than that.”

Tim released an awkward sigh, “I suppose maybe because when I was chubby I was picked on a lot. Maybe some odd notion made me believe if you knew Beth Anne got chubby, you’d tease me. Women can be awfully catty at times, even to their friends.”

Vanessa softly giggled, “I refuse to comment due to self-incrimination. But really, you could have told me.”

Tim‘s brow wrinkled, “Would it have made any difference?”

“I wouldn’t have been so surprised”, Vanessa continued in a cautious tone, “Whatever it’s worth, being rude isn’t my style. You’ll talk with Beth tomorrow?”

Tim replied above a whisper, “That’s the plan. I hope I can make things right between us.”

Vanessa momentarily gazed over at her friends then swung her attention back to Tim.

“I hope everything gets straightened out, Beth doesn’t know what she has. If there’s anything I can do to help.”

Tim relaxed his posture, “Thanks, I appreciate it.”

Vanessa stood up, stretching her fingers over Tim’s shoulders, she smiled, “I’m sure things will work out for the better. And let Beth Anne know_,”

Vanessa paused as the waitress set down Tim’s meal.

“Let Beth Anne know what?” Tim asked as he sampled his burger.

“That I’d still like to be her friend, like we were in high school.”

Tim responded with a tense spurt of laughter, “Fat chance of that happening!”

Vanessa nodded, civilly sharing her opinion, “I suppose you‘re right, come what it may, once she cools off, my offer in renewing our friendship stands.”

Tim replied with a whimsical expression, “I’ll run it by her. Thanks.”

Vanessa rejoined her friends and Tim consumed his meal.

A short while later, as Vanessa and her friends were heading out the door; she made a beeline over to Tim.

“It’s just a thought but I’m having a small gathering at my house next Saturday, you and Beth are more than welcome. It’s casual, so come as you are.”

“Saturday I was supposed to go with Beth to her cousin‘s wedding, Tim replied, “If she’s not sore at me.”

Vanessa patted Tim’s back, “If she’s smart, she’ll come around. Otherwise, don’t lay low pining for lost love. It’s not in your character.”

Tim acknowledged Vanessa with an unemotional gape, “You don’t waste any time.”

Vanessa‘s eyes grew wide, “I really do wish you the best but while I’m around there’s no reason to get all melancholy_.”

Vanessa stepped back, pointing her finger at Tim, she happily announced, “Remember, my place next Saturday if you’re free!”

………………………………...............................

Tim phoned Beth Anne the very next day and she moodily gave Tim a list of excuses of why she wasn’t up to seeing him.

Tim responded with pure logic, “We have to work this out, Beth. I really care about you and if you care about me, won’t you see me so we can address this in person?”

“I’m just so freaking angry at you”, Beth Anne spilled her guts, blathering away so swiftly that her words merged together. “Having a cozy chat with Vanessa, seeing me without knowing I got fat, not realizing how uncomfortable I felt……..”

Tim finally interrupted, “Whoa, babe! It’s alright, I told you, didn’t I? Vanessa is just a friend.”

Beth Anne sighed, “Fine. Come by Kylie’s at about seven, alright. We’ll talk.”

………………………………........................................................

It was Kylie who greeted Tim as he punctually arrived at her home.

Kylie was cordial in demeanor and too the point, “Beth Anne’s in the yard, I hope you’ll be able to patch things up.”

Tim stood like a punch-drunk boxer who didn‘t have the sense to leave the ring. “Then please give me a head’s up, how did I offend her?”

Kylie’s expression depicted her concern, “Seems she thinks you’re embarrassed of her and besides, you were with Vanessa.”

“Vanessa and I are friends, nothing else. I told Beth that”, Tim irritably replied.

Kylie waved Tim inside her home, “Yeah but you have to remember Beth Anne saw you with a girl whose body is perfect in terms of what most guys desire. She sees herself as fat and unattractive compared to her.”

“We’ve been through this so often my head hurts”, Tim said, “Beth Anne is more beautiful then ever.”

As they walked toward the backdoor, Kylie dutifully enlightened Tim, “I know that but ever since you returned to college you’ve undergone a noticeable transformation, you’re not the chubby nerd anymore.”

“Is that a bad thing?” Tim blurted.

“No”, Kylie chuckled, then continued in a convincing tone, “But she’s afraid that you’ll outgrow her.”

Kylie caught Tim’s startled expression, slowing in step, she explained as they reached the kitchen.

“You’ve polished up your looks, are far more popular, even how you carry yourself is different. Beth Anne is afraid that you’ll dump her for somebody similar in looks and attitude.”

“Somebody like Vanessa”, Tim cantankerously grumbled.

“Beth Anne sees Vanessa as the type guys like you go for, she thinks she‘s out of your league.”

Tim shook his head, Kylie playfully punched his chest. “Convince her otherwise or else she’ll be a miserable wreck.”

Tim gallivanted through the backdoor, finding Beth Anne sitting on a lawn chair drinking a liter of cola.

Beth Anne’s appearance couldn’t have looked more dismal.

Her auburn mane messily gliding over her shoulders, her chubby figure clad in a well-worn sleeveless T-shirt and discolored brown stretch slacks.

Tim went to kiss her, she moved her face away.

Tim let out a disgruntled sigh as he reached for a lawn chair and sat down beside Beth Anne.

“Beth, this is ridiculous. I love you, you’re the most spectacular woman I‘ve ever known, in looks and in heart.”

Beth Anne unemotionally gazed over Tim, guzzling a modest portion of the cola before addressing him, “I admit I got a little jealous when I saw you with Vanessa, specifically because she called you sweetie and her hand was over yours. But you offend me because you didn’t tell her I got heavy, like you’re ashamed that I’m not thin.”

“It wasn’t anything personnel”, Tim shifted his eyes downward; “You know I think you’re beautiful.”

Beth Anne nervously sighed, “We belong in two completely different worlds now, you’ve become popular and cool since losing weight, even wearing better clothes. I’m fat and kind of a loner except for a few close friends. What’s the point of us seeing each other when we’re so different.”

Tim slanted his body as close to Beth Anne as possible. “I had hoped, more than you could imagine, of being with you, ever since high school, you were the one girl for me.”

Beth Anne took another swig, then situated the bottle over her portly tummy.
“Things have changed a lot since high school, our roles are reversed. You belong with the more outgoing and popular kind, I don’t fit into your world.”

“That’s not true”, Tim asserted in complete candor, “I’m not superficial, neither are my friends. Anyone who doesn’t accept you, I’ll drop em’ without a second thought.”

Beth Anne enjoyed another long chug of cola, then conveyed in a milquetoast warble, “What about Vanessa? Back in school she regularly made fun of the heavier girls, calling them thunder chicks and heifers. You willing to drop her without a second thought?”

“High school was a long time ago, babe, Vanessa has grown up since then, matter of fact, she seemed every bit concerned about your feelings, even to the point of resuming your friendship.”

“Ha-ha”, Beth Anne mockingly snapped, “She’s probably told all her friends that I got big and fat!”

Tim stood up; needing to control his frustration he walked around Beth Anne, then paused in front of her.

Tim’s held his hands to his waist, an affectionate caliber to his voice, “I hope we have a future together, Beth Anne. You‘re the only woman I care about.”

Beth Anne repositioned her body on the uncomfortable lawn chair, her hefty thighs rubbing together.

“Maybe you feel this way about me today but what about tomorrow? I’ll always worry, even years from now, that you might meet someone whose physical appearance and personality is closer to yours. I don’t want to be hurt again, but I’ll always expect it.”

“I can’t worry about tomorrow”, Tim calmly replied, “I live each day as if it’s a separate life, I let tomorrow take care of itself.”

Tim brought his body closer to Beth Anne, his fingers briefly merging with her hair, “I love you Beth Anne. I’d never hurt you.”

Beth Anne stood up and tightly embraced Tim, whispering, “I love you too.”

Tim’s smile was fleeting as Beth Anne pulled away and announced, “This is why we have to breakup. We can still be friends but it’s better if you find someone who matches your style.”

Tim blinked, “Huh?”

“You’ll be happier, and I’ll be happier for you.”

Beth Anne’s pudgy cheeks doubly inflated with her smile, “Give me a call in a few weeks; I’d like to stay in touch even if we’re friends.”

And Tim watched as Beth Anne waddled toward Kylie’s home, nothing remaining to be said.

atcAlan

I Love Sweet Pears
Matt, still loving the story, Can't wait to see how you work this out and bring them back together.
Alan

Latest posts