Quantcast

Do you double space?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

1300 Class

Pam Poovey's Stunt Double
Do you double space or single space after a 'period' or 'full stop'? Apparently its very old fashioned to double space and generally viewed as at best not necessary and at worst incorrect. However its the way I have always done it as it was the way I was taught to type and its second nature now anyway (plus I think it looks better).

I just wanted to know if anyone does it.

qwertyman173

Andy from UK
I do it, as I was taught to do it. I think it became a bit unnecessary when text could be justified on a screen, but was important for typewriters. I don't see how it could be classed as incorrect though.

Aust99

It's not incorrect, even in present times... My colleagues and I had this argument with our boss when we were writing the kids reports. We have limited space and he asked us not to do the double spacing, saying it was incorrect. So, as teachers, we felt the need to clear up the situation... lol. We ended up winning the argument but singled spaced anyway to add some extra words into the limit.

Gingembre

radar detector
I double space, it's how I was taught. However, I keep getting picked up on it at work and told to single space. :(

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa
I do double space unless there's a character limit. How I learned, and habits die hard.

Agent 007

Shtick man
I've always used the single space. Before I read this thread I didn't even know that double spaces were used. No teacher of mine has ever made a remark on it and the texts I read didn't have double spaces either, as far as I recall.

Back when I was in college I always used the pilcrow button on the toolbar in Word to check my essays for double spaces and remove them.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
I do double space unless there's a character limit. How I learned, and habits die hard.
That.

Apparently it's not needed with word processing software (it tends to confuse text-justification algorithms for filling lines out to both margins) but I didn't learn to type on those, and generally our workplace standard is left-justified text.

-Rusty

smithnwesson

Drug dealer
I was totally unaware of this debate and I'm old. This was a tad more interesting than the Wiki entry, I thought.

http://www.creativepro.com/article/double-space-or-not-double-space
Great link, Scott.

I'm so goddam old that I don't even know if I double or single space.

I'm gonna have to:

1) Forget about this issue completely.

2) Write a long, serious post in which I become so involved with the content that I don't think about single/double spacing after sentence terminators -- which is bad because my posts tend to be short and smart-assed.

3) Remember this, go back, review that post, and reach a definitive determination.

That's asking a lot from a guy who can't keep his fucking pants zipped up.

- Jim

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
I was told that double-spacing between sentences is what they used to teach secretaries in the olden days before everyone became executive assistants. To my eye, double spacing makes paragraphs look disjointed and, yes, old-fashioned.

Do you double space or single space after a 'period' or 'full stop'? Apparently its very old fashioned to double space and generally viewed as at best not necessary and at worst incorrect. However its the way I have always done it as it was the way I was taught to type and its second nature now anyway (plus I think it looks better).

I just wanted to know if anyone does it.

olwen

Disco Bear
I actually had an argument about this a few days ago. I like to double space but apparently it isn't necessary. I didn't have a chicago manual of style in front of me so I couldn't check then. I can't check their site now because I don't have a subscription.

I would think it would be necessary on paper depending on the font and the justification, but I guess on screen it isn't necessary at all and some wysiwyg editors remove the second space automatically.

CrankySpice

Unwashed.
Former double-spacer here. It was a very hard habit to break (I always had to triple-check my work) when I first started writing for the web, but it's pretty much second nature now.

Melian

Ultimate Chimera
I've always used the single space. Before I read this thread I didn't even know that double spaces were used. No teacher of mine has ever made a remark on it and the texts I read didn't have double spaces either, as far as I recall.

Back when I was in college I always used the pilcrow button on the toolbar in Word to check my essays for double spaces and remove them.
Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if the double space was common practice in Europe. My supervisor (Lithuanian) gets me to edit a lot of his grant proposals, and those of his colleagues (various European origins), and I notice that they always single space, even when there is no character limit. Personally, I was taught to always double space after a period, so that's what I tend to do now, when writing formally.

sobie18

Bass playin' scuba diver
Being military, I have to double space after the period.

I do agree that it looks better as a single space.

Captain Save

never had a 40
Double spacing is the habit I learned, like others have already mentioned; my thumb just hits the space bar twice after I type a period, and I'm no longer even aware of it. I also tend to be a little bit of a perfectionist over anything I type, and finding me using text message techniques is very unlikely.

Saoirse

I don't know how old of a teaching it is, since I learned it in my 10th grade Keyboarding class a whopping 7ish years ago. But yea... I still do it!

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
In Remembrance
Another double spacer here. My boss tries to correct me, but old habits die hard. Since we're in marketing, it's important that we be letter perfect when we write, but I can't seem to stop double spacing. :mad:

swamptoad

Perhaps if its something that I read from the computer screen then I don't mind
reading it single-spaced, as long as its not huge block text all completely single-
spaced. And if it is something from a magazine or book (just as long as the block
text width is not too wide) I'm okay with it. I just think that makes it easier on
the eyes.

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
Double spacing is the proper way to do it, and I will always continue to do it. The same goes for refusing to end a sentence with a preposition, putting a comma after the last entry in a list (before the "and"), and using proper margins.

Latest posts