Do you speak any foreign languages

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Colonial Warrior

I was born in New Jersey but raised in Puerto Rico. I speak Spanish as my native and English mostly online.

I spoke a lot of English at college. I was meeting some friends from the US mainland and recently I was speaking English by phone with one of them.

It's very hard to adjust to the speed of speaking but that friend is helping me a lot.

I am also interested in learning languages like Portuguese. German, and Japanese.

Shotha

DM Supporter
I'm a native English speaker and I speak:-

French, Greek, German, Yiddish, Welsh - fluently

Japanese - enough to be helpful in the hospitality industry

Georgian - very rusty

Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic, Ancient Greek, Latin and Old English (as there's no one to practice talking with, I only have reading skills.)

And I'm studying Sanskrit. I can now read the Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit and I help other students with it.

Tad

mostly harmless
I'm a native English speaker and I speak:-

French, Greek, German, Yiddish, Welsh - fluently

Japanese - enough to be helpful in the hospitality industry

Georgian - very rusty

Biblical Hebrew, Biblical Aramaic, Ancient Greek, Latin and Old English (as there's no one to practice talking with, I only have reading skills.)

And I'm studying Sanskrit. I can now read the Bhagavad Gita in Sanskrit and I help other students with it.
Very impressive!

fat hiker

English is my mother tongue.

18 years in a bilingual government job means I not only speak French, but sometimes even dream in French.

Took German in high school, Spanish in university, though both are quite, quite rusty.

Lived in the former Czechoslovakia for a year, so used to speak Czech semi-fluently. Because the Slavic languages are all quite close, I can often recognise and pronounce words in Polish, Croatian, and other Slav languages.

Can do the "tourist thing" in Hungarian and Finnish.

Shotha

DM Supporter
@fat hiker is there a such language as Slovakian?
I would think that Slovakian is a common mistake made by people trying to name the language of Slovakia, which used to be part of Czechoslovakia. The country is officially the Slovak Republic but it is more commonly referred to as Slovakia. Their language is Slovak. My understanding is that the language is to all intents and purposes the same as Czech. The different orthography is used partly to emphasize the difference in the two languages, because Czechs and Slovaks regard themselves as being ethnically different.

Last edited:

Broseph

DM Supporter
We should have a language or at least an argot for fat people and their admirers.
Amen

I suppose we have a few unique words—‘bisizual’made me laugh the first time I heard it, even though it may or may not be a description of a mythical creature. Apple and pear have way more connotations for me than for the non-fat lovers out there—at least I assume they do.

I’ve also thought that we need a secret hand shake or code word. I once saw a mixed size couple in California and—an assumption on my part—figured the guy was an FA. I had an impulse to start chatting with him but realized I had no idea how to get things going. Hand shake or code word—then we‘d be like the early Christians who drew a fish in the sand, if that story is even true...‘jiggle’ might be an appropriate code word 😂 Although, say that to someone who‘s not among the initiated—prepare to be slapped

Shotha

DM Supporter
Amen

I suppose we have a few unique words—‘bisizual’made me laugh the first time I heard it, even though it may or may not be a description of a mythical creature. Apple and pear have way more connotations for me than for the non-fat lovers out there—at least I assume they do.

I’ve also thought that we need a secret hand shake or code word. I once saw a mixed size couple in California and—an assumption on my part—figured the guy was an FA. I had an impulse to start chatting with him but realized I had no idea how to get things going. Hand shake or code word—then we‘d be like the early Christians who drew a fish in the sand, if that story is even true...‘jiggle’ might be an appropriate code word 😂 Although, say that to someone who‘s not among the initiated—prepare to be slapped
When my best friend and I were starting up New Zealand's first ever Chubs and Chasers Club, we had a code word for fat men, especially the handsome ones. It was "guru". We used this word, because it's original Sanskrit meaning was "heavy". The usage of this word, with which most people are familiar, is metaphorical and refers to the "weight" carried by a guru's discourses and opinions on spiritual matters.

I agree that we need a secret handshake or code word. Gay men used to ask stranger's, "Are you a friend of Dorothy's?" We could use something like, "Are you a friend of Sybil's?" It would have to be a fairly uncommon name or word to avoid false positives. Any other ideas?

Broseph

DM Supporter
Interesting about the word 'guru'--I didn't know that. I like the "friend of X" idea, but can't think of a good name at present.

Latest posts

Group builder