Doctoring Up Ramens?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
I love Ramens, but I prefer to doctor them a bit. This evening I made some with cabbage, cayenne pepper, carrots, and an egg in the chicken flavor. Anyone else have any other methods?

MissToodles

dead peasant
I don't really like ramen anymore but I used to add an egg for protein, and hot sauce for spice.

missaf

I break them up and under cook them and put them in my stir fry instead of rice.

I add garlic, hot pepper flakes, and seared chicken to them.

I can't use the flavor packets, so I usually just use chicken soup base that's MSG free instead.

GoddessNoir

Milkmaid
Yes, what Missaf said. I have used them in stir fry with chicken, seafood, veggies and an egg. You can make a pretty good teriyaki or thai sauce by finding a recipe online.

CuteyChubb

Queen of Hearts
I luv Ramens. I never thought of adding anything to them, until now. Was the egg you added like how they do egg drop soup or was it boiled? Thanks. :happy:

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I'll cook up two or three packages (no spice packets), drain, add oil and soy sauce, enough to coat, and then fry in a non-stick skillet with cubed meat-of-choice (pre-cooked), bean sprouts, celery, carrot, onion, water chestnuts, and garlic. :eat2: With sriracha on the side.

In my college days, I'd make a poor man's spaghetti using ramen, ground turkey, and Campbell's Tomato soup.

And I used to be able to find a ramen with the spice as part of the ramen (no spice packet) It was pretty straight from the package.

activistfatgirl

donuts at the finish line
I think its interesting some say "ramens" instead of ramen.

So I loathe ramen because its such an inferior foodstuff. High in sodium and perservatives, and nasty types o' fat. I also attribute ramen to being poor, as I still eat it when I don't have other options.

In college it was ramen with a teeny bit of spice pack, brussel sprouts, and tomato sauce. Like, this was what I had almost every day because it was so quick and cheap. Sometimes with a different vegetable like frozen broccoli or cauliflower.

I've had it twice this week for lunch. UGH. Microwaved, so pretty "firm" and nothin' but the spice pack and a dash of hot sauce.

However, there are some yummy recipes here that are winning me back over-maybe-to loving ramen.

Tracyarts

I like to take hot and spicy chicken cup of noodles and add some chopped cilantro and lime juice and a spoonful of tomato sauce to them. Or barring that, a bit of Thai tom yum soup base to liven them up.

Tracy

MissToodles

dead peasant
CuteyChubb said:
I luv Ramens. I never thought of adding anything to them, until now. Was the egg you added like how they do egg drop soup or was it boiled? Thanks. :happy:

I do it egg drop style. I mix an egg in a separate bowl. In the pot used for ramen, I create a whirlpool. Then I drop in egg spoonful by spoonful. It's not so tasty to have one giant egg clump. Add some fresh grated ginger & tamari, you're set!

Here's a ramen blog featuring everything thing from ramen burritos, to breakfast ramen.

http://mattfischer.com/ramen/

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
missaf said:
I can't use the flavor packets, so I usually just use chicken soup base that's MSG free instead.

I can't use the flavour packets either.

Sometimes for a quick meal I'll just cook up a package along with some frozen peas, then put a can of tuna or salmon on top, and maybe some parmesan cheese. Add a glass of milk and you have all four food groups!

Also they are my favorite base for some awesome vegetarian indian meals that we can buy in individual packages here. Aloo palak on noodles looks kind of gross, but it tastes just divine! I do this at work sometimes, as if I get hot water from the coffee machine I just have to let the noodles sit for a few minutes until a bit undercooked, then I drain them, dump the pouch of indian stuff on top, mix it up, and throw the whole think in the microwave for about two minutes, and then life is good. The smell makes people jealous :)

-Ed

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
CuteyChubb said:

Like eggdrop for me!

lypeaches

I prefer the beef flavor, to which I add a few drops of chili oil and / or red pepper flakes, some chopped scallions, and shred up some deli roast beef.
A poor mans pho, if you will. Well, not so much poor, it simply just isn't available where I live.

EbonySSBBW

California Dreams
I haven't had them since this summer when I had my triplet siblings here (they love them). I like to add cheese to them and then just a little bit of the seasoning...can't take too much of it. I let the cheese sauce thicken a bit and it makes for a quick and yummy dish.

IdahoCynth

Cockchafer
I use about half the flavor packet, add 2 cut up boiled eggs and a big handful of parmesan cheese.

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.
I know people that have made like a tuna salad with them .. EWWW.

When I was younger I would cook them drain the liquid put the hot noodles in a bowl and add butter and a little bit of the season and forzen baby peas. SO good

lestamore

I Have Pie Self Esteem
I once made ramen pie. I was feeling creative.. I used the flavor packet to make a gravy like sauce and poured it over the broken up noodle thingy, and some potatoes and carrots in a pie shell. It was.. interesting. The noodles didn't get fully sturated, so it was kinda odd and spongey.. but hey! If I hadn't tried I knever would have known.

SexxyBBW69

damn it Im in the mood for ramen noodles now...... hmmmm I wonder if I can get some at this time of night

missaf

Alton Brown has a recipe for casserole where Ramen is the binding ingredient, it was actually really good!

Mr. 23

When in college and super, super poor, I'd do this. Kind of nasty in retrospect.

I'd cook the ramen noodles. I'd dump in the flavor pack ir whaveter condiment we had available in the kitchen. Then I'd add instant mashed potatoes for filler, instead of soup.

Didn't taste all that great, but it was filling and cheap.