Doctoring Up Ramens?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
When I have one of those nasty head colds I make chicken ramen and throw in garlic, ginger, pepper flakes, lemon juice, freash spinach and a can of chicken. Voila! Head clearing chicken soup.:blink:

Missy9579

Formerly BigCutieViolet!
I dont buy them often , because they are terribly bad for me, and i would eat them everyday, and I eat 2 packs at a time, but i eat them like this

Cook with lots of water, and packet
Drain most of the spice wate,r leave a little
Add a big lump of butter
Add hot sauce
Sprinkle with grated cheese, eat until you see no more cheese, repeat for each layer.

YUM

rainyday

Departed
I love ramen; I only wish it wasn't so frankenfoodish because it's quick and easy. Instead I make lo mein using a fresh noodle that Safeway sells in the produce section. I stir fry up chicken with lots of veggies--mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, peapods. When they're almost done, dump in the noodles and a small bag of fresh spinach. Love it, especially for breakfast the next morning.

Anyone know a good way to use soba noodles? I'd like to use them because they're whole grain (buckwheat) but when I've tried to use them like lo mein they don't hold up well. Maybe a brothy base is a better way to eat them?

Brandi

The Emotional Cook
Chicken & Vegetable Ramen Noodles

Serves: 4

Time: 15 min

Serve with crisp Chinese noodles and hot sauce on the side.

3 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup each shredded carrot and diced red bell pepper
1 tsp minced garlic
2 pkg (3 oz each) Oriental-flavor ramen noodle soup with seasoning packet
2 cups shredded leftover chicken
1/2 cup sliced scallions
2 tsp dark Oriental sesame oil

1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add cabbage, carrot, bell pepper and garlic; cover and simmer 2 minutes.

2. Crumble in noodles. Cover and return to a simmer; cook 3 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in seasoning packets and remaining ingredients. Cook until heated through.

Per serving: 380 cal, 26 g pro, 34 g car, 4 g fiber, 16 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 62 mg chol, 982 mg sod

Brandi

The Emotional Cook
Hot & Sour Beef-Vegetable Soup

Serves: 4

Time: 13 min

12 oz lean ground beef
2 pkg (3 oz each) beef-flavored ramen noodles
1 can (11 oz) baby corn “nuggets”
(precut), drained
8-oz pkg sliced mushrooms (about 21/2 cups)
3/4 cup sliced red bell pepper
1 Tbsp each cider vinegar and soy sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup sliced scallions
1/2 tsp dark Oriental sesame oil

1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add beef and cook, breaking up clumps, 3 minutes until no longer pink. Remove to a plate.

2. Add 4 cups water, the ramen noodle seasoning packets, corn, mushrooms and bell pepper to the pan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 3 minutes or until pepper is crisp-tender.

3. Break noodles into saucepan, add black pepper, vinegar and soy sauce, and simmer 3 minutes or until noodles are tender. Stir in beef; heat through.

4. Remove from heat; stir in scallions and sesame oil.

Per serving: 456 cal, 22 g pro, 33 g car, 3 g fiber, 26 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 64 mg chol, 1,095 mg sod

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I dig ramen... chicken, crunched up noodles covered in water, sealed up in a tupperware tub until fluffy (but still with broth...must have the broth), and the flavor packet (if I was going to drain, I'd not use the whole packet, but I make soup, not just noodles).

I try very hard not to eat them much, not good for ya, but I do enjoy their welfare-like cheapness and simplicity. :)

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
I've found with Soba noodles Rainy (unless you order the somewhat dried, four sided ones from Uwajimaya) that they work best if you nuke them first. Once they're heated they can be separated easily with a fork and thrown in at the last minute to soak up some seasonong.

We like them stirfried with garlic, ginger and pepper flakes and lots of brocolli, shredded red cabbage and julienned carrots.

missaf

Soba noodles, as in Yakisoba? I recently just had those for the first time a few weeks ago at an open grill style japanese restaurant, complete with flaming chef, and knife tricks.

The soba noodles were lightly blanched, then cooled, then seared on the grill with oil and a little butter before serving.

rainyday

Departed
missaf said:
Soba noodles, as in Yakisoba? I recently just had those for the first time a few weeks ago at an open grill style japanese restaurant, complete with flaming chef, and knife tricks.

I don't know my Asian noodles well, but I think yakisoba are precooked ones? I just know I love them. The ones I was talking about are the dry ones you buy like spaghetti that Friday mentioned.

Friday, you don't mean you nuke dry noodles, I'm sure? Which kind are you nuking?

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
The really fresh ones that are all vacu-sucked into an almost solid blob are the ones I nuke Rainy. If you throw them into the wok cold the outside ones start to desintegrate before you can get the inside wad to even come apart. This may be because I buy the 2 lb block 'o' soba noodles from Costco (because I am the Costco Queen of overbuying :blush: ).

When I first started buying yakisoba noodles you could buy a 2 oz package at the grocery in the produce aisle that had a much drier texture, more like the fresh pasta you can get in the deli. I still order them from Uwajimaya periodically because a) they keep long enough to be mailed and freeze better, and b) I like the texture better after stir-frying. The Costco ones are a close approximation though.

Miss Vickie

Friday those yakisoba noodles from Costco are awesome, but yeah, they do need to be nuked before being tossed in the wok or they fall apart. I'll either nuke them or drop them in a pan of super hot water, swirl around to get them hot, and then toss into a collander.

I love Ramen, but hate myself for loving it -- it's probably the least healthy food I eat. I've been known to eat it with egg, egg drop soup style, or else I'll toss in a hotdog (for protein? yeah, right). But mostly I just eat it with lots of broth and a ton of parmesan cheese. It's weird, though, since my surgery ramen is about the only food that is 90% likely to hurt my stomach. Cup o noodles? Fine and dandy. But I can't eat more than half a package of ramen and a LOT of broth without feeling like I've eaten razor blades. Maybe my body's trying to tell me something?

rainyday

Departed
Ah, I forgot Costco carries them. Used to get that kind. They also sell really good chinese BBQ'd pork (usually right next to the soba), although not the healitiest option.

I think the partially cooked ones I get at Safeway are a little drier.

Friday

Not fap material. Bye!
I'll have to check it out than Rainy, because I actually prefer them drier and it wouldn't hurt anyone in my house if I cooked them in smaller quantities.

MissStacie

Mrs. Gnoom
I have two kinds at work, chicken and beef., and I've eaten them for lunch twice this week, and my calves/ankles are nonexistant for it, too!

But, I love them, and as a kid, my mom would make a hotdish(cassarole for you non Minnesotans in the world) and often use a package or two for the noodle part. Of course, every OTHER odd ingredient in the fridge would go into it, too, so I could NEVER replicate the recipe if I tried.

Now, I'm gonna have to bring some shredded cheese to work on Monday,and cook up a couple packets, less liquid, and throw in the cheese....glorious cheese.....mmmm...

Damn, now *I* want Ramen...

Hugs,

MisticalMisty

MissStacie said:
Damn, now *I* want Ramen...

Hugs,
me too and I hate them..lol.why? because I lived on them for a few years as a kid..we were so poor that my mom would buy them and that's what we ate..and then I swore I'd never be that poor and have to eat them again..

but now..I want me some ramen :(

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
MisticalMisty said:
me too and I hate them..lol.why? because I lived on them for a few years as a kid..we were so poor that my mom would buy them and that's what we ate..and then I swore I'd never be that poor and have to eat them again..

but now..I want me some ramen :(

But treat yourself. Don't buy cheap, get the imported asian stuff that doesn't have any english on the package. (and while you're in the aisle, don't forget to stock up on chow mein noodles, waterchestnuts, soy, and a packet of hot-n-sour soup)

MisticalMisty

Fuzzy said:
But treat yourself. Don't buy cheap, get the imported asian stuff that doesn't have any english on the package. (and while you're in the aisle, don't forget to stock up on chow mein noodles, waterchestnuts, soy, and a packet of hot-n-sour soup)
and mix all that stuff together?

I'm not a cook fuzzy..teach me oh masterful one :p

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
MisticalMisty said:
and mix all that stuff together?

I'm not a cook fuzzy..teach me oh masterful one :p

Well,... Yeah. But not the Hot-n-Sour. I'm just kinda partial to that. ;)

MisticalMisty

Fuzzy said:
Well,... Yeah. But not the Hot-n-Sour. I'm just kinda partial to that. ;)
next question..if there's no english..how will I know how much water and how long to cook it? lol

Latest posts