does anyone here collect coins?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
But I'm sort of in the same boat. I have some coins. But no real way to determine their value. And wouldn't bother to haul it down to some dealer who would probably only give me pennies on the dollar.

What to do with them? Sort them? By denomination, then year? into those little paper roles? What about cleaning them? I've heard different things about that.

I-too would love to hear from our resident coin expert.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
I have a ton of coins, though, I don't collect them for the value. Most people collect domestic - I just have a horde of international coins that I think are neat.

Anyways - I know there's forums and databases online that have records of specific coins/dates/+their value. You could search that or try asking around on the forums. As for a potential real-life solution, there's a flea market near my house with a super friendly coin connoisseur. He's generally only looking to sell there - not buy - so I'd trust him to give me a fair appraisal of my coins. So if you have something like that in your area, it might be worth a shot.

As for cleaning - I mean...do try to prevent them from getting dirtier. I keep mine in these little things. And in theory, I put those in a binder...but I haven't gotten around to it yet. But actually cleaning them up is generally frowned upon, even if it's done professionally. I think in most all cases it'll detract from the value of the coin. But if you just want the coin for purposes of looking pretty and admiring it, go ahead.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
A mess.

For me, the two main issues are:

1. Organizing & Cataloging (such that I know-definitively what's there and what isn't) and 3) Consolidating (ridding myself of anything that isn't too likely to appreciate in value relative to the amount of space it takes up) The foreign currency & stuff that's no longer in circulation I would just keep. But the bulk of it is just quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Some of which, depending on the date, I realize are made of actual silver or whatever else. But otherwise, there's a lot of (I assume) just-regular coins mixed into these buckets which are so filthy that I can't even pick-up a single piece without getting oxidation or dirt all over my fingers.

...forums and databases online that have records of specific coins/dates/+their value.
I've looked at some of those. But to do that it would make the most sense to sort first. And if I'm going to that effort, of handling them all individually; then can I afford to miss that opportunity to....I dunno...somehow...treat them? I know I'm not supposed to give them all a bath, so-to-speak, but they really are that dirty. To where it's hard to even imagine putting them into brand-new & perfectly clean paper-rolls.

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
A mess.

For me, the two main issues are:

1. Organizing & Cataloging (such that I know-definitively what's there and what isn't) and 3) Consolidating (ridding myself of anything that isn't too likely to appreciate in value relative to the amount of space it takes up) The foreign currency & stuff that's no longer in circulation I would just keep. But the bulk of it is just quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. Some of which, depending on the date, I realize are made of actual silver or whatever else. But otherwise, there's a lot of (I assume) just-regular coins mixed into these buckets which are so filthy that I can't even pick-up a single piece without getting oxidation or dirt all over my fingers.

I've looked at some of those. But to do that it would make the most sense to sort first. And if I'm going to that effort, of handling them all individually; then can I afford to miss that opportunity to....I dunno...somehow...treat them? I know I'm not supposed to give them all a bath, so-to-speak, but they really are that dirty. To where it's hard to even imagine putting them into brand-new & perfectly clean paper-rolls.
Oh...

My mental picture was definitely (more than) a little bit off. Buckets? Dirt all over your fingers? By all means, give them all a rinse. Probably plain water is good enough, and immediately dry them off with some towel you're not terribly fond of. I was thinking of cleaning in the sense of...using an eraser to polish them up, maybe a chemical treatment, or anything else that'd get the shine back. In a sort of, "The value of this depends upon the condition of it," way.

Arbitrary extra fact: I've heard of people getting rolls upon rolls of dimes from banks, and going through them to find the silver ones. If you have the patience for it, it can actually pay off.

snuggletiger

Clowns Fear Me
I collect the President Dollar coins. They are very over minted, and now the 2nd half of the series (Arthur onward) are ordered through the mint, so for me its a nice way to spend the day going through Customer Wrapped Rolls at the bank.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
http://www.facebook.com/kenneth.c.phillips,
I'm collecting the presidential Dollar coins as well. I got one of those bundled special offers that they hawk on TV late-night. I actually got lucky and it turned out pretty good. The nice oak wood presentation case, the Philadelphia & Denver mint coins plus the one (strikingly beautiful) proof coin.

I also collect a lot of silver yearly proof sets along with American Silver Eagles. I'm really into silver… It's fairly cheap these days and it's just plain addictive :)

I collect the President Dollar coins. They are very over minted, and now the 2nd half of the series (Arthur onward) are ordered through the mint, so for me its a nice way to spend the day going through Customer Wrapped Rolls at the bank.

snuggletiger

Clowns Fear Me
Jack
I used to go to the banks and buy the BU NF String rolls of the different presidents. But after Garfield, you could only buy the rolls from the Mint at 32.95 a roll plus shipping. So now when I go to the banks and find Tafts, and Clevelands its like "Score!". But out in Vegas its hard to find the Philly mint coins. I didn't get the display board. I bought the 2x2 plastic flips and put the coins in that.

Adamantoise

Existing in several dimensions
Oh...

My mental picture was definitely (more than) a little bit off. Buckets? Dirt all over your fingers? By all means, give them all a rinse. Probably plain water is good enough, and immediately dry them off with some towel you're not terribly fond of. I was thinking of cleaning in the sense of...using an eraser to polish them up, maybe a chemical treatment, or anything else that'd get the shine back. In a sort of, "The value of this depends upon the condition of it," way.

Arbitrary extra fact: I've heard of people getting rolls upon rolls of dimes from banks, and going through them to find the silver ones. If you have the patience for it, it can actually pay off.
Vinegar works to get rid of the oxide layer - it does work for copper coins, at least. Place the coins in a shallow vinegar pool, leave them for a few hours and then use an old cloth to wipe away the oxide layer. It may work for silver coins, too, but I'm not sure.

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
Vinegar works to get rid of the oxide layer - it does work for copper coins, at least. Place the coins in a shallow vinegar pool, leave them for a few hours and then use an old cloth to wipe away the oxide layer. It may work for silver coins, too, but I'm not sure.
I've always been told to never ever ever use any silver cleaner or other chemical stripper to clean old coins. They say it's best to leave them dirty. Unless you know exactly which are doing, you will destroy the value of an old valuable coin. They say let a professional (where do you find one of those) do the chemical cleaning for you.

This is a 1923 silver dollar that I cleaned up with a little lemon juice and Q-tips, way back before I broke my neck. It was a nice find:)

View attachment 20140311_120048 A.jpg

snuggletiger

Clowns Fear Me
nice job on the Peace Dollar. I think you're better off leaving them dirty because with the chemicals who knows what will happen.

J34

Purple Monkey Dishwasher!
Lemon juice is great for many things, who knew it was useful to clean up old coins. Plus I am sure it is not abrasive as those other chemical strippers.

Also has anyone used baking soda to clean coins? Just wondering what people use to clean. :)

Jack Secret

tickle my amygdala
Have you found any other Peace Dollars?
I really don't actively "collect" old coins but I do Bump into them occasionally. I found a bunch of Mercury dimes and Real silver dollars that I had collected when I was like eight years old. I had forgotten all about them until recently! I've been buying late Silver Eagles and silver proof sets. Maybe they'll be worth something to my grandkids one day :)

Latest posts