Does your size make driving diffucult for you?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Jello404

Well hello my lovelies!

Im having a bit of an issue here...

Im learning to drive (yeah I know Im late bloomer! lol) and even tho I drive a 2010 Ford Edge-Its pretty spacious for a crossover- Ive noticed that Im still too large for the drivers seat.My tummy touches the wheel so I pull the seat back...but Im short so my feet dont touch the pedals.My breast are very large so its hard to see over them and change gears without moving them out of them way. So I pull the seat all the way down. Eventually I adjust the car into this odd position that feels most comfortable for me and still allows me to drive safely. I must admit having to go through this entire process is frustrating and it has discouraged me from actually getting my license when I was younger.

So I need some advice from my fellow fatties! What do you guys do when your int his situation? Did you just adjust your car the best you can?Am I doing things right? Did you loose a little weight? Or just say '[I]screw it[/I]' and not drive? Talk to me! I need some help. Im a little bummed out about it. :(

-Thanks in advance.

Miss Vickie

I'm a short, rather round girl (smaller after WLS but still VERY short with a large chest) so I've gone through some of the same problems.

If you have a telescoping steering wheel, it can really help. I drive a Beetle and they have a little lever on the bottom of the steering wheel which allows me to change its angle and pull it out or push it in, so it fits me perfectly. I also have the seat up as high as I possibly can so that the airbag wouldn't hit me in the face (yes I'm THAT short) which buys me a lot of room. I'm fortunate that for my height I have long legs so I can usually reach the pedals okay, but when I was pregnant, it was dicey. I think there are maybe extenders that you can get?

I'm pretty much the only person who drives my car but on those rare occasions when my husband drives and I can't get in before him to move the seat back, the poor guy looks like he's driving a kid's car. His knees are up by his chin, practically. He looks pretty silly. :)

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
I just wanna say that I have this problem, too. I'm only 4 foot 10 and an SSBBW, so driving has always been out of the question, but now it's pressing and I don't know what to do. As soon as I get my stomach to fit right and get seated to see through the front and over the windsheild, my feet are faaaar from the pedals :( I have to basically be laying in the seat to reach the pedals which suuuuucks.

I thought of duct taping beer cans or something to the pedals but they crush easily, so that's not really an option :(

crayola box

Just did a quick google search and saw that pedal extenders run about $130....might be worth checking out.

Punkin1024

Summer's already here!
Yes, driving is a challenge if you are short and fat. I'm 4' 11-1/2" and I have a large tummy and large breasts. I drive a Ford Focus that has a special seat adjustment that can lower the bottom half of the seat. Ford also has seatbelt extensions and I have this clip gadget that allows me to adjust the shoulder strap to a more comfortable fit. The only thing I miss is a tilt steering wheel. I pull the seat up as far as it will go. I do believe that some Ford models also offer foot pedals that are made for short people. Hope this info helps.

musicman

I hate fat-haters!
but Im short so my feet dont touch the pedals.
Find a shop that does car or van modifications for disabled persons, and ask them to install pedal extenders. There should be several such places in the Chicago area. The extenders I've seen are aluminum blocks which are bolted onto the pedals. Installation takes only a few minutes. You could also ask about this at a car dealer, but in my experience, most dealers are clueless about special needs.

Zandoz

Highly irregular
I had to give up driving about a year and a half ago....belly wil not fit behind the wheel...and here comes the embarassing part, my FUPA will not allow my legs to position for using the gas and brake. :really sad:

bbwlibrarian

possibly revolutionary
Those of you that are complaining about cars could probably still motorbike. While I've never had difficulty fitting in a car to drive it, I prefer motorbiking because it's more fun. Nothing quite like being a badass BBW on a bike! :D Good luck finding gear, though...

ampleampleample

I once had a girlfriend who was quite large and grew significantly over several years which led us to discover there were really two or three issues.
1. Width of the seat which is a problem with all cars comming to have center consoles.
2. Fitting behind the wheel and still being able to reach the pedals.
3. Being able to get in and out of the car.

When we first met she had pretty much outgrown her Mitsubishi Eclipse, so she got a Buick LeSabre which she hated but the bench seat and higher ride was better. It reached a point however where even that became a challenge to get in and out of height wise so she graduated to a Dodge mini-van; perfect height to slide in and out with little verticle step up or sit down, tilting steering wheel with "bus driver" position allowed her to sit close enough to reach the pedals- not real comfortorable for trips but fine for around town.

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw
I once had a girlfriend who was quite large and grew significantly over several years which led us to discover there were really two or three issues.
1. Width of the seat which is a problem with all cars comming to have center consoles.
2. Fitting behind the wheel and still being able to reach the pedals.
3. Being able to get in and out of the car.

When we first met she had pretty much outgrown her Mitsubishi Eclipse, so she got a Buick LeSabre which she hated but the bench seat and higher ride was better. It reached a point however where even that became a challenge to get in and out of height wise so she graduated to a Dodge mini-van; perfect height to slide in and out with little verticle step up or sit down, tilting steering wheel with "bus driver" position allowed her to sit close enough to reach the pedals- not real comfortorable for trips but fine for around town.

Running into these same issues as I get older. I can usually reach the pedals OK, but my knees are feeling the strain of getting into and out of my Chevy Lumina. We looked at the Dodge Caravan, but I think those are putting the consoles in now too. Still have to hold onto it for a few years, but am considering a small pickup next, with the bench seat and tilt steering wheel. The Chevy Colorado / GMC Canyon is available with crew cab, and is looking more likely as I go.

Otherwise, maybe I'll just put a lift kit on the Lumina! :D

KittyKitten

Nerdysillysweetspicysaucy
I hate putting on seat belts due to my large bust. And I hate getting my big ass out of the car.

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
Those of you that are complaining about cars could probably still motorbike.
While a motorbike is great, and something I'd totally do, in my area there's only about 3 months where you can do it before it gets too cold and snowy or rainy. So that's kind of out of the question. Plus, at my height, no motorbikes are easy to get on. I come from a family of motorbike enthusiasts, so I've always been around them and know I can't ride one no matter how much I want to.

Zandoz

Highly irregular
Those of you that are complaining about cars could probably still motorbike. While I've never had difficulty fitting in a car to drive it, I prefer motorbiking because it's more fun. Nothing quite like being a badass BBW on a bike! :D Good luck finding gear, though...
I looked into the scooters 2 years ago. I'd love to have one, but most have a weight limit of around 330 lbs. For those that are that weight and under, and have enough good weather to justify one, the classic vespa clone style ones (random example below) should be relatively easy to get off and on. Some are available with higher weight capacities, but they get pricey.

View attachment scooter.jpg

bbwlibrarian

possibly revolutionary
I looked into the scooters 2 years ago. I'd love to have one, but most have a weight limit of around 330 lbs. For those that are that weight and under, and have enough good weather to justify one, the classic vespa clone style ones (random example below) should be relatively easy to get off and on. Some are available with higher weight capacities, but they get pricey.
It's a matter of research, really. I weigh about 350 and a Yamaha C3 49cc bike held my weight incredibly well, as the back end has a lot of space to spread out and the motor actually had a limiter on it(!). I probably could have carried someone else on the back. Yes, there is a structural weight limit for many bikes, but I think on the sturdier 50cc bikes it has to do with the amount of weight a bike can handle before one sees a noticeable effect on power. The only way you can know is with a test drive!

Also, don't think that the fun ends at 50cc. There are scooters that go up to 600cc--it's simply descriptive of body type. 125 is a good speed for those that just want to zip around town without hassle. Avoid the Chinese Vespa/Yamaha clones as you don't want to put your life at risk due to faulty engineering. Stay within the range of Yamaha/Honda/Vespa/Suzuki/Genuine (a US scooter company that makes some really nice vintage-style bikes), gear up, and have fun.

BigBootyAsshley

Big Booty Princess
Over the last year or so driving has been more and more uncomfortable. My legs and booty go numb. A month ago I bought a new vehicle only because the seat belt buckle on my other was digging into my hip/thigh. It made driving really painful and it was so close to my body there wasn’t room for me to pad the area. The seat belt buckle on the new vehicle is set deeper into the seat so it’s not digging into me….now if I can just get my legs and booty to stop going numb.

bbwlibrarian

possibly revolutionary
While a motorbike is great, and something I'd totally do, in my area there's only about 3 months where you can do it before it gets too cold and snowy or rainy. So that's kind of out of the question. Plus, at my height, no motorbikes are easy to get on. I come from a family of motorbike enthusiasts, so I've always been around them and know I can't ride one no matter how much I want to.
There are many bikes that can be lowered by 3-4", which can make a world of difference. The Suzuki Savage 650 and the Honda Shadow are good for those about 5'1"-5'4", and most scooters will work well. Although it may not be your everyday ride, there's no reason to not have fun when the weather's right!

Jes

is oddly aroused
Or maybe she could make a salad with blueberries. Or fly a kite. Or learn to separate conjoined twins. Or how did your post actually address her very specific question in any helpful way?

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
To the OP, I would definitely look into pedal extenders. I believe their installation is not that complicated though I have no personal experience with them. I watched a few episodes of "The Little Couple" on TLC last year and remember the little person husband installing some himself on a rental car.

Easy Rider pedal extenders (linked above) were mentioned on NPR's Car Talk website (guys I've always thought were pretty helpful). They might be worth checking out. I hope you figure something out. Having the seat fully reclined while driving sounds like a disaster in the making.

Good luck!

bbwlibrarian

possibly revolutionary
Or maybe she could make a salad with blueberries. Or fly a kite. Or learn to separate conjoined twins. Or how did your post actually address her very specific question in any helpful way?
I'm glad that you enjoy being a nameless, faceless sarcastic bitch on the internet, but I find that a lot of women of all sizes consider their only transportation option to be that which has four wheels and gets 25 miles to the gallon when two wheels would be more fun, economical, and in many ways size friendly (due to the fact that one controls the vehicle with their HANDS and body weight shifts as opposed to requiring the assistance of one's feet).

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
There are many bikes that can be lowered by 3-4", which can make a world of difference. The Suzuki Savage 650 and the Honda Shadow are good for those about 5'1"-5'4", and most scooters will work well. Although it may not be your everyday ride, there's no reason to not have fun when the weather's right!
I'm very much under 5'1" and extremely stocky, plus I haven't got money to burn. Bikes are out of the question for the build of my body and the build of my wallet.

Latest posts