Employment

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

da3ley

Hello All,
I’m struggling right now to find a job as I’m experiencing so much negativity. it’s a lot harder IMO for us larger folks to get hired as opposed to thinner counterparts.
I’m trying not to let this affect me so much but it is and I’m starting to get down
Does anyone have maybe any pointers on how you have coped, or how you have overcame to where u don’t get depressed or stay depressed ?
I can feel the discrimination and see the stares and comments under the breath. Just trying to hang in there. I’m definitely not a small woman at 5 feet 10 nearly 400lbs I totally stand out! Not to mention I’m almost 50 years old!!!!

Any tips? For coping or maybe interviewing to make it less awkward? Thanks so much 😊
Tysm!
Dana

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
Have you tried your local employment office to see what listings they have? You don't have to be collecting unemployment to use their services. Lots of jobs listed there because it's free there for employers to list.
Also, temporary job services are good places to start. Some of the temp jobs can lead to permanent.

Hope this helps- good luck to you!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I second GEF's recommendation. My wife's career started as a temp job; by the time her term was up, the boss had decided she was a keeper! If you're near a college, check out their job postings, too; they hire a lot more people than just professors.

TheShannan

🐽🍪❤️💍🤰
Have you watched any videos on YouTube? I moved and had to find a new job and watched a lot of vids on how to present myself during interviews and answers that employers like to hear. It really helped ❤

TheShannan

🐽🍪❤️💍🤰
Sadly I noticed around my area every place seems to want to hire part time but full-time is harder to come by. I live in a small town though

Orchid

Do you have any hobby and/or skills you can use to at least earn some income/money?
You could try hospitals some start there as volunteer and later get a part time job.
Good luck in finding work.

BigElectricKat

I’m definitely not a small woman at 5 feet 10 nearly 400lbs I totally stand out! Not to mention I’m almost 50 years old!!!!
Be still my heart! 😍

But seriously, when job hunting (not that I've done a lot of it) the term "Know the foe" applies. Research the company and anticipate any questions you may get. Confidence counts. Being confident (not cocky) can go a long way in a hiring manager's mind.

Don't overstate your strengths. Make your weaknesses sound like strengths (i.e. "I tend to be a bit slower because I like to address the small details and want the job done right the first time.").

I wish you the best of luck!

Last edited:

Am Jim

It’s much easier to get a job when you already have a job. Sure the goal is full time but start with part time.

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
da3ley - I feel for you. It's an incredibly uncomfortable mix of real and perceived negativity I've often experienced in the working world that has often made reaching professional goals difficult for me.

In addition - we surprisingly haven't discussed this issue much here on Dims - the current opinion climate with Covid19 imo is more anti-fat for "health reasons" than ever.

Yet there is one upside - remote work is becoming more of a standard in many fields - and there appearance honestly comes second, third or last from my experience. Not knowing what kind of job you are looking for exactly, but maybe start off by trying to find some - be it part time or even only project - work online might be an option to get things started again.

Good luck!

SSBHM

Hello All,
I’m struggling right now to find a job as I’m experiencing so much negativity. it’s a lot harder IMO for us larger folks to get hired as opposed to thinner counterparts.
I’m trying not to let this affect me so much but it is and I’m starting to get down
Does anyone have maybe any pointers on how you have coped, or how you have overcame to where u don’t get depressed or stay depressed ?
I can feel the discrimination and see the stares and comments under the breath. Just trying to hang in there. I’m definitely not a small woman at 5 feet 10 nearly 400lbs I totally stand out! Not to mention I’m almost 50 years old!!!!

Any tips? For coping or maybe interviewing to make it less awkward? Thanks so much 😊
Tysm!
Dana
Dana,

You have a double whammy. Agism is as big a thing as Sizism. I have experienced both too.

I would suggest looking at Craigslist and considering remote or virtual positions. I don't know your skill-set or exactly what type of work you like to do, but working from home has advantages.

Augmenting your income is another consideration. Can you write well? Can you make phone calls without feeling devalued? Is there something you could sell from the web? Can you work more than one job, if they are both from home?

More and more interviewing is done by video conferencing so keep the camera at a level that makes you look as lean and lithe as possible. Downward angles on your face will perhaps help, but don't show anything that you don't have to.

A smile, happy personality, and politeness are a must too, but don't laugh or that might also stereo type you - jolly is likened to fatness.
If any questions arise to your health be honest but don't volunteer information about your size if you don't have to. Suggesting that you are tall is usually a positive, but don't offer that I'm big in any other way.

Wish there was a magic bullet to answer your prayers, but unfortunately it's simply hard and grueling. I hope you find something soon. Reward yourself with something for doing the hard work looking for work. A nap? A glass of wine? Close your eyes and imagine something you like and enjoy! Call a friend to catch up. Or, bake a cake - warning you won't lose weight, lol!

Hope it helps a little. Cheers, Chuck

Tiffany08

Hello All,

Tysm!
Dana
Have you thought about working from home? I think it would be easier for you and on you.

da3ley

Thank you all for replying! I don’t get on DM very often, as I watch my grand baby every day, and it’s a challenge to do a little internet surfing, much less DM bc he’s such a handful! I love him so much!
Please accept my gratitude for the recommendations and little tid bits.