Everyday Food Pics - Part II - keep snapping!! :D

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
This year's Christmas Dinner main course. Roast chicken (I gave up with turkey because I don't like it and I'm the one that prepares, cooks, clears away etc!), goose fat roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sausage stuffing with onion and chestnuts, sausage stuffing with apricots and cranberries, chipolatas in bacon, carrots, garlic green beans, Brussels Sprouts with chestnuts, gravy from the chicken, bread sauce (not on plate yet in pic). I wolfed down every last morsel, my favourite meal of the year! :D

Starter was prawns, marie rose sauce, smoked salmon stuffed with salmon mousse, salad. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding, Christmas pudding, sherry trifle or chocolate yule log, all with either cream, plain ice cream or custard. :wubu:

View attachment chris dinner.jpg

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
This year's Christmas Dinner main course. Roast chicken (I gave up with turkey because I don't like it and I'm the one that prepares, cooks, clears away etc!), goose fat roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, sausage stuffing with onion and chestnuts, sausage stuffing with apricots and cranberries, chipolatas in bacon, carrots, garlic green beans, Brussels Sprouts with chestnuts, gravy from the chicken, bread sauce (not on plate yet in pic). I wolfed down every last morsel, my favourite meal of the year! :D

Starter was prawns, marie rose sauce, smoked salmon stuffed with salmon mousse, salad. Dessert was sticky toffee pudding, Christmas pudding, sherry trifle or chocolate yule log, all with either cream, plain ice cream or custard. :wubu:
Amazing. :bow:

Someone please rep Ruby for me.Sadly, I can not.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
That gumbo looks lovely, I've never had it before. What are the main herb or spice flavours? I have had jasmine rice though, the sticky kind with thai curry and i love it! It usually puts me to sleep for an hour after, it's so damn carbilicious!

one2one

Sentient little hedonist
the gumbo looks amazing! good job!
Thank you!

That gumbo looks lovely, I've never had it before. What are the main herb or spice flavours? I have had jasmine rice though, the sticky kind with thai curry and i love it! It usually puts me to sleep for an hour after, it's so damn carbilicious!
Thank you! I've never had it before either but was inspired by something Swamptoad posted, so I read through a few recipes and worked with what I had on hand. If I recall, the main flavor elements I used were a lot of carrot, onion and green bell pepper.* It also got a little celery seed, a little Old Bay seasoning, some garlic and about a tablespoon of tomato paste (I think). I used lobster stock for the broth, a small amount of fresh lemon* juice, and let the chorizo do most of the rest of the work for flavoring it. I also forgot to add parsley, so it was garnished with parsley and green onion.

A few of the recipes I looked at called for file powder, which I'd never heard of. I looked it up to see if I could make it with other spices I had on hand, but it was described as a cross between juicy fruit gum and eucalyptus. I promise you that even though I have about 40 spices and blends on hand, I have nothing that is likely to create that flavor combination!

* Normally, I don't like green bell pepper because it's bitter, but in this case I think using it and a very small amount of lemon helped balance everything nicely.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Thank you!

Thank you! I've never had it before either but was inspired by something Swamptoad posted, so I read through a few recipes and worked with what I had on hand. If I recall, the main flavor elements I used were a lot of carrot, onion and green bell pepper.* It also got a little celery seed, a little Old Bay seasoning, some garlic and about a tablespoon of tomato paste (I think). I used lobster stock for the broth, a small amount of fresh lemon* juice, and let the chorizo do most of the rest of the work for flavoring it. I also forgot to add parsley, so it was garnished with parsley and green onion.

A few of the recipes I looked at called for file powder, which I'd never heard of. I looked it up to see if I could make it with other spices I had on hand, but it was described as a cross between juicy fruit gum and eucalyptus. I promise you that even though I have about 40 spices and blends on hand, I have nothing that is likely to create that flavor combination!

* Normally, I don't like green bell pepper because it's bitter, but in this case I think using it and a very small amount of lemon helped balance everything nicely.
Ooh that sounds interesting. I've never heard of file powder either and that flavour description wouldn't inspire me to add it I must admit. I don't like green pepper either for the same reason, I always use red.

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Lunch/dinner (was too much to eat in one go oops). Prawn cocktail with sliced avocado. My old fave french carrot salad, and my new fave "super salad" - I had this from a local Italian takeaway and loved it so copied it. It is quinoa, good cherry tomatoes, rocket (arugula), mozzarella, pomegranate niblets and balsamic dressing. Oh and two pineapple fingers.

View attachment lunch.jpg

Last edited:

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing
Lunch/dinner (was too much to eat in one go oops). Prawn cocktail with sliced avocado. My old fave french carrot salad, and my new fave "super salad" - I had this from a local Italian takeaway and loved it so copied it. It is quinoa, good cherry tomatoes, rocket (arugula), mozzarella, and balsamic dressing. Oh and two pineapple fingers.

That makes eating healthy look oh so interesting :happy:

squeezablysoft

This chick loves to eat AND cook:)

My delicious bacon/spinach/egg cups! Spray your muffin pan to make removal easier. Preheat your oven to 400. Precook bacon to ensure crispiness or use ready bacon. Curl piece of bacon around the inside of muffin cup. Drop in a few fresh spinach leaves. Crack egg into cup. Top with a bit of your fav shredded cheese (I love parmesan!). Sprinkle with parsley and a few green onion and bake for 15 min or a bit less depending on if you want a soft yolk or a firm yolk. Serve with a dollop of butter.

Can you get food poisoning from visually eating year-old food?

Deacone

For Azeroth!
So tonight I made this. Riceless nori wrap. It has puréed curried chickpeas as a base, salmon sashimi bought from Yo Sushi! (Because buying any small amount of sushi grade salmon in Bristol is crap!) avocado, cucumber, white radish and spinach. My literal blood, sweat and tears went into this as I had to postpone making this by an hour as I went to A&E because I pretty much chopped the tip of my pinky off :O!

FatAndProud

So tonight I made this. Riceless nori wrap. It has puréed curried chickpeas as a base, salmon sashimi bought from Yo Sushi! (Because buying any small amount of sushi grade salmon in Bristol is crap!) avocado, cucumber, white radish and spinach. My literal blood, sweat and tears went into this as I had to postpone making this by an hour as I went to A&E because I pretty much chopped the tip of my pinky off ������������

mmmmm i can't rep you :)

fat9276

This place is usually closed on the day off that I want to go. Finally off on a day they are open, woot!

The powdered one is filled with the most lovely, lightly sweetened cocoa cream and the chocolate one is full of Bavarian custard. The strawberry guys speak for themselves and happen to be my favorite, hence les deux :eat2:

View attachment 20170914_150709.jpg