Everyday Food Pics - Part II - keep snapping!! :D

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Thank you for the compliment.

The biggest "secret"-equipment.
I have a professional DSLR with several lenses to achieve the looks that I need. I also have accessories to shape and soften the light. Unfortunately, it is very expensive for a lot of hobbyists. Don't let that deter you.
A lot of the point and shoot cameras made in the last 5 years are really good and should not be scoffed at. There are also simple household items that can be used to help you get the look you want.
That being said, here are a few suggestions.

-Whenever possible-use natural light.
-Always make sure your camera is set to the proper color temperature/white balance (Sunlight, Florescent, Tungsten, Cloudy Day, Flash or Shadow-for most cameras. Light has a color temperature and can cast an orange to blue tint to pictures if the camera is not set correctly.) Auto white balance doesn't really work great for all kinds of light
-Use a macro lens to get a shallow focus depth and to get close to subject/object
(If you use a point and shoot-zoom anywhere from 1/2 to max. zoom and then step away from the object until you get the framing you like. Most p&s cameras have a 3 ft. minimum focus. Any closer and it can't focus properly. You may have to steady the camera from blur by using a tripod. No tripod? Use the top of a chair backrest to steady the camera as you hold it. Or place the object at the end of a table and shoot from opposite end and use a couple/few books to get some angle/height and to steady your camera. You can also place the object on the ground as long as you can get good light on it)
-If you can-make the food "pretty"(Use nice plates, add color w/ garnishes, arrange the food, use props...etc.)
-Go to Wal-Mart or your equivalent store and buy a sheet of white poster board for around 2 dollars to use as a "bounce" card (You can reflect some soft light into darker or shadowy areas with the white card. It can soften shadows and can add just enough light into under exposed areas. Cut it down to a workable size, bend it, hand hold it, wedge it between books or tape it to a 2 Litre bottle of Pepsi to help it stand up to reflect the light where you need it.)
-Experiment with cropping

Good Luck!

Anyone email/PM me with specific camera/photo questions.

Thank you so much for your advice! It is greatly appreciated! P.s. You've been repped! :)

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
Its fall around the country and yet the days in Southern California are still warm. The night brings a gentle coolness to the air that will turn crisp before morning. Even though its not quite soup weather here, I decided to make some split pea soup, because Andersen's restaurant (famous for its split pea) is far from me and I really like split pea soup! I am garnishing it with chopped ham shank and homemade herb croutons and parmesan crisps.
Crockpotcopy.jpg
Crispcopy.jpg
croutoncopy.jpg

Why yes, that is the famous Turkish nargileh (hookah) from the risotto party in the background

setcopy.jpg

soupcopy.jpg

The soup was very easy to make. I followed the directions on the package of dried split peas. I made it in my crock pot because I could walk away from it and not worry that it'll burn.

liz (di-va)

Its fall around the country and yet the days in Southern California are still warm. The night brings a gentle coolness to the air that will turn crisp before morning. Even though its not quite soup weather here, I decided to make some split pea soup, because Andersen's restaurant (famous for its split pea) is far from me and I really like split pea soup! I am garnishing it with chopped ham shank and homemade herb croutons and parmesan crisps...
The soup was very easy to make. I followed the directions on the package of dried split peas. I made it in my crock pot because I could walk away from it and not worry that it'll burn.

yes please!!!

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun
Homemade 3 cheese pizza:

before:
2962128875_6718f2e61f.jpg

after:
2962129149_fe79c53c90.jpg

The 3 cheeses are Fontina, mozzarella and Romano. It ended up a 4 cheese pizza after coming out of the oven since I like to sprinkle Parmesan on it. The sauce is made from powdered tomato paste I reconstituted with water to the right thickness and seasoned with Italian spices and minces garlic. I sprinkled on some chopped up roma tomatoes.

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun
Dinner last night and lunch today. Penne pasta with olive oil, Black Russian tomatoes and shredded goat cheese:

2962255715_709c5d9dce.jpg

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Last night I made a veggie quiche. It turned out so good even my 3 year old asked for 2nds!

I used broccoli, sauteed onions, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, cheddar cheese and bacon. I love to make quiche because it is so versatile and the combinations are endless!

View attachment 100_0972.JPG

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun
Last night I made a veggie quiche. It turned out so good even my 3 year old asked for 2nds!

I used broccoli, sauteed onions, mushrooms, artichoke hearts, cheddar cheese and bacon. I love to make quiche because it is so versatile and the combinations are endless!

MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to look at making quiche. I wonder if it freezes well, I could make several at one time, have one fresh and stash the rest for other meals.

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
MMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I need to look at making quiche. I wonder if it freezes well, I could make several at one time, have one fresh and stash the rest for other meals.
yes they freeze perfectly! i made 3 last night and froze 2 for another 2 meals!

MissToodles

dead peasant
Cuban sandwich. Tasty but two issues: no pickles and not on criollo bread but rather an Italian loaf. I missed that light interior/crunchy exterior thing. Otherwise, a decent but not outstanding specimen. The search continues!

P1020689.jpg

P1020688.jpg

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
This may be a dumb question but, do you freeze them before or after you bake them?

Not a dumb question at all...I actually baked them 1st, then froze them. I'd be afraid it would be too messy to try and freeze it before baking with the eggs and cream. :)

ChubbyBubbles

Luke's Mommy
Cuban sandwich. Tasty but two issues: no pickles and not on criollo bread but rather an Italian loaf. I missed that light interior/crunchy exterior thing. Otherwise, a decent but not outstanding specimen. The search continues!

P1020689.jpg

P1020688.jpg

I always wanted to try a Cuban sandwich, but I can't find anyone around here who makes them. I do have a recipe, but I doubt it will taste "authentic". :p

MisticalMisty

Not a dumb question at all...I actually baked them 1st, then froze them. I'd be afraid it would be too messy to try and freeze it before baking with the eggs and cream. :)

You can flash freeze them before cooking and it will eliminate any mess. Just place them on a cookie sheet for about 30 mins...then double bag them in a ziploc bag or whatever..and then they are good to go in the freezer.

JeanC

Fat chick with a gun
You can flash freeze them before cooking and it will eliminate any mess. Just place them on a cookie sheet for about 30 mins...then double bag them in a ziploc bag or whatever..and then they are good to go in the freezer.

I do this with my apple butter pumpkin pies, tho I tend to leave them in for at least an hour.

MissToodles

dead peasant
I always wanted to try a Cuban sandwich, but I can't find anyone around here who makes them. I do have a recipe, but I doubt it will taste "authentic". :p

It doesn't hurt to try. If you have a cast iron skillet or even a Foreman grill, you can make one at home. I make 'inauthentic' versions of things all the time at home and they come out pretty good.

I still had a cuban craving after yesterday's blah sandwich. Then it hit me to google 'best cuban sandwich nyc' to find a decent contender. One place was near me, so I hit it up after class.

It hit the spot! The roast pork was moist, it had mustard and pickles and it was super garlicky. Plus, criollo bread! And at $3.75, it was cheap as well.

P1020708.jpg

P1020711.jpg

They also had baked goods and I saw tres leche cake. I can never resist a slice of milky love cake and got a slice. This one was really sweet, but still good.
P1020713.jpg

AshleyEileen

chunky
Right after seeing the coconut cake and getting really hungry, I turned on Food Network and this episode of Good Eats was on! Ugggggghhhhh. I want it so badly!

Latest posts