Excel Spreadsheets ?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I know there is someone who would know the answer to this, as this is quite the resourceful / computer literate bunch.

I am working on a massive workbook in Excel in the law firm, I am employed.
Thursday, I opened another spreadsheet from a different drive, and when I closed that, I lost everything on the MASSIVE workbook I had worked on from 9-4:30pm......I save this via the little DISK icon on the top left very regularly.
However, when I reopened it, it had resorted to YESTERDAYS work.

I am in a vast network at work, and although I checked my options/tools it said it saves every 10 mintues, to somewhere I can't locate on my computer; should it actually be SOMEWHERE in the depths of network land?

just curious..cause I spent til 2:15 yesterday redoing everything I did, and although I learned a valuable lesson, and NOW take the time to SAVE AS regularly, I am intrigued if I could have found it....

I did email my boss, he gave me about 2 minutes of his time, and that was that...we have 3 IT guys and they are bumbling morons...but I suspect one of them might have helped me locate that virtual anonymous SAVED FILE.....wut you thinks?

Donna

wait...what?
The auto-saved file should be easy to find. I use Office 07, so I hope that is the version you use.

1. Click the Microsoft icon in the upper left corner of the window
  2. Click the Excel Options button on the bottom of the dialog box
  3. This will open the options dialog box. Click the [SAVE] option on the left side of the screen
  4. The location of the file is found in the box next to "AutoRecover file location:" This box will give you the drive location, the folder and the sub folder(s). You can set a document to auto-save to whatever location you choose here by cutting and pasting the location or typing in the location address

Hope that helps! :)

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
The auto-saved file should be easy to find. I use Office 07, so I hope that is the version you use.

Hope that helps! :)[/QUOTE

It might help if I was using 07, but we are still using 03....it lists a location that is NON EXISTENT, I have tried to change it and not had any luck...I worked on it all day friday and regularly hit SAVE AS, rather then SAVE cause I think that function just doesnt' work on the mass used edition we have in our network of over 50.... : <

wolfpersona

Your Excell file is probably on a drive somwhere in the network. Is there a drive on that network your asigned to use? Knowing where you save your file is important. You could browse the network drives under my computer. Then network. And try searching for your file that way. Or you could use the search function under the start menu. But make sure you only include the network drive(s) in the search. And specify the name and file extension. That wasy the search isn't looking on the hard drive because it is mostly filled with system crap and it would take a long time. The save button is just a quick way of saying save where i saved as last. Its best to go to file then save as... the best bet is to save your work on the computer(network) and a removable disk.(like a sd card or floppy disk (if you still use those.)) That way you have a backup. In case any thing happens. The network may have been down at some point or something. I wouldn't rely on the recent projects pane in office to manage your file.
Hope this helps :)

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
(((DONNA))) I wish that helped, but I am dealing with a network..I tried all the HELP menus / recover menus..but it was NOT where it said it was...it named a non-existent location :(

meanwhile I redid all the work..so it's kinda unimportant now.....but i want to avoid it in the future..will probably use SAVE AS FOR ETERNITY...cause i KNOW THAT WORKS!!

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
Your Excell file is probably on a drive somwhere in the network. Is there a drive on that network your asigned to use? Knowing where you save your file is important. You could browse the network drives under my computer. Then network. And try searching for your file that way. Or you could use the search function under the start menu. But make sure you only include the network drive(s) in the search. And specify the name and file extension. That wasy the search isn't looking on the hard drive because it is mostly filled with system crap and it would take a long time. The save button is just a quick way of saying save where i saved as last. Its best to go to file then save as... the best bet is to save your work on the computer(network) and a removable disk.(like a sd card or floppy disk (if you still use those.)) That way you have a backup. In case any thing happens. The network may have been down at some point or something. I wouldn't rely on the recent projects pane in office to manage your file.
Hope this helps :)

Thanks..ya that is what I thought, and emailed my boss to get in touch with IT to help me DETERMINE where that LOCATION might be? I tried all sorts of SEARCH, not sure if i can SEARCH those drives like that....worth a shot though...and yes i the future SAVE AS ONLY....ef the friggin SAVE button :mad:

comaseason

Housewares
I've had this happen to me several times where the auto save location was in a drive that I had no write permissions to, so every time it auto-saved it would error out - but you don't receive an error in windows or Excel telling you that.

Very frustrating.

For Excel 2003, you can change how frequently your auto-save runs and you can also specify a new folder. The folder that I use is on my C drive that gets backed up regularly. As long as your C drive (or the folder you'll use) is on a back up schedule, there's very little reason for having your auto-save recovery destination on a network folder. I do this so I specifically can avoid calling the help desk if something goes wrong. I usually only call the help desk as a last resort.

1. Tools
  2. Options
  3. Save tab
  4. Change Save AutoRecover time (I have mine set on 5 minutes)
  5. Enter in a new folder path in the "AutoRecover Save Location:"

If you're not allowed to change the destination, you may want to talk to your network guys and tell them what you want to do and why. They should be able to either by admin rights change the destination to what you want it to be, or give you rights to do it yourself.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I've had this happen to me several times where the auto save location was in a drive that I had no write permissions to, so every time it auto-saved it would error out - but you don't receive an error in windows or Excel telling you that.

Very frustrating.

For Excel 2003, you can change how frequently your auto-save runs and you can also specify a new folder. The folder that I use is on my C drive that gets backed up regularly. As long as your C drive (or the folder you'll use) is on a back up schedule, there's very little reason for having your auto-save recovery destination on a network folder. I do this so I specifically can avoid calling the help desk if something goes wrong. I usually only call the help desk as a last resort.

1. Tools
  2. Options
  3. Save tab
  4. Change Save AutoRecover time (I have mine set on 5 minutes)
  5. Enter in a new folder path in the "AutoRecover Save Location:"

If you're not allowed to change the destination, you may want to talk to your network guys and tell them what you want to do and why. They should be able to either by admin rights change the destination to what you want it to be, or give you rights to do it yourself.

YEAH....the last PARAGRAPH...I can't alter the save destination..and CAN"T ACCESS..I should have had my boss go right to IT..but he is just too swamped to care...so...WTF..they want to pay me to re-d0 all the work...it's their bat and ball......it's all in a days work...y'know?

thanks...REALLY appreciate your help!!!

mszwebs

For The WIN.
Also, check the folder where its supposed to be and see if there is an oddly named temp file that has no real Microsoft designation (Office, Excel etc.)

It might be one of those.