Quantcast

Eyelash thread! (ok now someone make an eyeball thread)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

elle camino

shitclock's tickin.
mascara is a son of a bitch, isn't it ladies? i'm the makeuppiest broad on the planet and i still can't settle on one of them i really, truly love. or even one i really truly like, actually. if they don't smudge, they flake. if they don't flake, they clump and give you tarantula lashes. if they don't do any of that, they dry up within a week of opening the tube and cost $25 to replace.

the upside to this is that you're supposed to replace your tube every month or so, so by being picky, i'm inadvertently being hygienic. which is nice.

that said, i mentioned in the eyebrow thread (v2) that i use clean (free!) mascara wands from sephora to get my lashes how i like them (even with sub-par mascara), so i'll elucidate on that here:
1. curl your lashes, if you do that (i don't - i lucked out in the curly-lash department).
2. remove mascara wand from tube, wipe off the tip on a kleenex (thanks sasha!), and apply one serious coat.
3. while it's still wet on your lashes (so quickly), take a clean disposable mascara wand and go over the whole thing, just like you're doing another coat. get in there and wiggle it around at the base of your lashes, to really separate them and make them look feathery and full.
4. repeat steps 2 & 3.
the key here is to do the whole thing as fastfastfast as you possibly can, as the more it dries as you're doing it, the clumpier the end result will be. and the whole point of doing the clean-wand trick is to avoid clumps and just make them look like naturally full, dark, long lashes.

i also have a tweezerman metal lash comb (about $5, and reportedly the best tool for the job), and i have to say the free disposable wands work way better, in my opinion.

ok so anyways, lash tricks, mascara recommendations, i wanna hear them.
also i know vickie got lash extensions a while ago, and i'm hoping she'll give me an update on how those are working out.

Miss Vickie

Oh, hey, lash extensions. BTW, I love your ideas. Since I can't afford to keep up with the eyelash extensions I'll be making good use of them. :)

I love my lashes. They were $200 initially and then it's $75 for a "fill" which you're supposed to get every 3-6 weeks, ideally 3 but for me it's closer to six because let's face it, that's pretty spendy. I LOOOOVE them. I get lots of compliments, they look great, feel good, and I'm not messing with mascara which is good for me.

But they cost a lot. So I don't think I'll keep doing it. I can't do both hair extensions AND eye lashes. That's just too high maintenance even for me. Plus, even for a fill it's almost two hours and that's too long for me to sit still with my eyes closed.

My esthetician (see? I told you I was high maintenance) told me that there's a product that is sold through doctor's offices that is supposed to make your lashes grow thicker and longer. It was originally formulated for women going through chemo who lost their lashes but they sell it now to anyone who wants it; you paint it on your eyelid and it makes your lashes grow like gangbusters. I'll find more about it next time I'm there (that bitch OWNS me!)

In the meantime I give my lashes a 10/10 for cuteness but a 1/10 for affordability.

elle camino

shitclock's tickin.
yay thanks for the update!
i'm so glad they worked for you. ANY chance you've got a picture lying around i can see (here or PM)? pretty please?
and:
My esthetician (see? I told you I was high maintenance) told me that there's a product that is sold through doctor's offices that is supposed to make your lashes grow thicker and longer. It was originally formulated for women going through chemo who lost their lashes but they sell it now to anyone who wants it; you paint it on your eyelid and it makes your lashes grow like gangbusters. I'll find more about it next time I'm there (that bitch OWNS me!)
my best friend uses this stuff. she gets it wholesale (beautician license), but i think it retails for around $60.
she's been using it for about a month now, which we hear is not long enough to gauge it's effectiveness, but so far i don't see much of a change. i didn't see the problem with her lashes to begin with, though, so i'm not the best one to ask.
she likes it, so it was worth it to her.

however ANOTHER friend of mine swears by castor oil (applied to the roots of her lashes every night) as a growth stimulant, and the whole reason i know this is that i asked her one day what on earth she was doing different to her lashes that was making them look so ungodly long and huge, and that's what she told me.
and i looked it up, and sure enough people have been using castor oil for hair growth since like the dawn of time. if you search for it on makeupalley you'll find a litany of women vouching for it as well.
so, hmm.
something to think about, if you're already willing to plunk down $60.

i know it's a silly thing to complain about (so i'm not complaining about it, really), but if anything my lashes are too dang long. if i curl them, they hit my eyelid and leave little black mascara dots. and when i wear certain sunglasses i can't even blink properly.
WOE IS ME.

supersoup

Nice to meet you beanbag.
mascara is my arch nemesis in make up land. i have bought uber expensive, super cheap, waterproof and nonwaterproof, etc etc etc...

i have to say that the water proof cover girl lash blast is pretty darn good for me. i just wipe the wand off, and apply it to my curled lashes, and it stays and doesn't clump. it doesn't flake either, which is usually what drives me insane. my problem is usually that mascara takes the curl right out of my lashes...it tends to make them stick straight and look stupid, but the lash blast...i'm digging it.

Mishty

aluminum petunia
mascara is my arch nemesis in make up land. i have bought uber expensive, super cheap, waterproof and nonwaterproof, etc etc etc...

i have to say that the water proof cover girl lash blast is pretty darn good for me. i just wipe the wand off, and apply it to my curled lashes, and it stays and doesn't clump. it doesn't flake either, which is usually what drives me insane. my problem is usually that mascara takes the curl right out of my lashes...it tends to make them stick straight and look stupid, but the lash blast...i'm digging it.
Yeppers...

I can't find a method to keep them curled either....

Mishty

aluminum petunia
Well I'll be danged! An eyelash thread!
What a great idea!!

Moving on....

My lashes are realllly long, and no matter the amount of curling or seperating keeps them curly after a slash of mascara! I've tried the "stains" for lashes, and that works great, but tends to make them appear to thin.

And I sleep on my face, :doh: so some of my lashes are going that way --> and some are this way <---- and some are over there __^

I love my lashes, but most of the time I end up in a hissy over my right eyelashes, I've never gotten them to look amazing, form time to time, I can get "okay" results...

So I trim them...I cut the little curls at the end off, and leave my outer corners longer, it gives me this weird catty look, it's the only thing I've found that I can manage on a daily basis..

However!
I've got tubes of mascara from my college days, and really didn't know it was that bad, but thankies to this thread, all those old moldy tubes are in the bin!

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
i know it's a silly thing to complain about (so i'm not complaining about it, really), but if anything my lashes are too dang long. if i curl them, they hit my eyelid and leave little black mascara dots. and when i wear certain sunglasses i can't even blink properly.
WOE IS ME.
I have this problem too. i have troubles wearing sunglasses or even glasses because my eyelashes hit the lenses. I hated biology because I'd have to view everything through my lashes hitting the eyepieces.

As for mascara i just some lash blast (cover girl) because i was intrigued by the brush and i like it. It makes my eyelashes black and a little thicker without being clumpy. It's not itchy either, which can be a problem with my sensitive skin.

elle camino

shitclock's tickin.
i liked lash blast alright, but it was the damn WAND that pissed me off so bad i gave it away to a friend who likes it and doesn't mind the wand. the thing is HUGE! i couldn't get it on without getting it all over my lid! frustrating.

as for curling/keeping curled, my friend (the same one who's trying the fancy growth stuff, she of the neverending eyelash issues) has stick-straight lashes and has always bitched and bitched about keeping them curled, for YEARS until she found this tiiiiny little curler made by japonesque - let me see if i can find the exact one online.
http://www.japonesque.com/catalogue.cfm?fla=productsSplash
it's under eyelash curlers > pocket curler
yeah so i have to say, it's WAY noticeably better than any other curler she's used. like every other one, i frankly couldn't even tell she'd curled her lashes at all. with this one, they look curled all effing day.

Ash

Smash
DimensionsModel
I'm pretty picky about my mascara as well. I have naturally long, curled lashes (especially on the bottom), so I like a mascara that separates, goes on cleanly, and plays up the natural length. Clumping, spidery lashes drive me crazy, and, like soup, I've tried brands in every price range looking for the perfect mascara. The one I've found that works best for me is L'Oreal Clean Definition Telescopic. It has a long, thin wand and a narrow comb. I like Lash Blast, too, but, like elle, I found that the brush was just too big and unwieldy for me.

One thing I've learned from experience is that if you get a splotch of mascara somewhere (beside the bridge of your nose, etc.), you should leave it there until you're completely done getting ready, if possible. Once it's completely dried, you should be able to push it off cleanly with the tip of your nail. It should flake right off without leaving a smear.

Cors

Delurking
Aw you lucky ladies!

I have fine, short Asian lashes with that droop straight down and mascaras don't do all that much for me. Falsies, however.. <3

Hole

Maybelline xxl

It's amazing mascara. I highly suggest you girls try it out if you haven't.

GWARrior

Maybelline xxl

It's amazing mascara. I highly suggest you girls try it out if you haven't.
ooh Ive used that kind. I liked it a lot.

I dont remember the kind Im using now, but i like to lay it on thick (but not so its spidery). my friends always think i have fake eyelashes on.

the one part I hate about mascara is the pain when you poke your eyeball! ouch!

Sandie_Zitkus

In Rememberance
In Remembrance
The never ending search for the perfect mascara. Almost as frustrating as the never ending search for the perfect red lipstick.

I have found 3 perfect red lipsticks I just LOVE - but mascara? It still leaves me frustrated. *sigh* I have long eyelashes and curling them works great but any mascara that extends the length makes them hit my glasses and I hate that.

I used to love Mary Kays mascara but they changed it and it sucks. Damn you company marketing!!

I am currently trying several of the new Maybelline mascara's and I am liking the one in the bright yellow tube - Colossal Volume - I like very much. And the classic Maybelline in the pink tube with green cap always works well.

I once spent $25.00 on a mascara that some Ulta employee told me was the best they carried. IT SUCKED!! And it sits in my makeup drawer dried up as a reminder of being suckered by sales people.

This is the one I like :

volatile

The never ending search for the perfect mascara. Almost as frustrating as the never ending search for the perfect red lipstick.

I have found 3 perfect red lipsticks I just LOVE - but mascara? It still leaves me frustrated. *sigh* I have long eyelashes and curling them works great but any mascara that extends the length makes them hit my glasses and I hate that.

I used to love Mary Kays mascara but they changed it and it sucks. Damn you company marketing!!

I am currently trying several of the new Maybelline mascara's and I am liking the one in the bright yellow tube - Colossal Volume - I like very much. And the classic Maybelline in the pink tube with green cap always works well.

I once spent $25.00 on a mascara that some Ulta employee told me was the best they carried. IT SUCKED!! And it sits in my makeup drawer dried up as a reminder of being suckered by sales people.

This is the one I like :

I LOVE that mascara. It's the only one i'll use since I found it a few months ago.

Jasminium

sippin' beer thru straws
My absolute favorite mascara is Dior - Diorshow. It's expensive but totally worth it, it make my lashes amazing. The only other one that comes close is Benefit - Bad Gal.

TraciJo67

I use the Clinique High Definition mascara, which comes with a dual brush/comb. It really works great for me. No clumps, lots of definition, and it doesn't have that funky smell I associate with most brands of mascara. It's around $12.

BrunetteBeauty80

Subscribing. I want to learn more. I have never worn mascara. I've always wanted to, but can't make it look right. Maybe I will learn something from all the lovely ladies here!

Rubies

i've tried a ridiculous amount of mascaras and right now i'm liking rimmel's glam'eyes. the brush itself is great because it's not as thick as others so you can get right to the base of the lash without having remnants under your eyes or on the eyelids. i've found this mascara to be best day-to-day.

if i feel like vamping it up a bit i usually put on a couple coats of the rimmel then wait a bit for it to set then apply something with a thicker brush (ie: benefit's badgal, dior's diorshow). i find this makes them fuller without the clumping effect.

it may be worth it to look into sephora's 'the lash stash' set. http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P223220&categoryId=B70#
$35 for 10 travel-size black mascaras. if you find that the set has a couple that you've previously tried and didn't really care for you could use them as stocking stuffers or something haha. seriously though, i know i've spent more than $35 on shit makeup and hopefully there's an opportunity in this set for you to find one that really stands out (ha!)

MissToodles

dead peasant
I have long but straight lashes and it seems I can never curl them properly. My eyelids always get pinched when I attempt to curl. Is there some type of technique I don't have down pat? I use the Shu Uemura curler which is supposed to be the Cadillac of curlers.

as for as mascaras, I really like this one

Latest posts