FA's and BBW/SSBBW's, prehistoric?

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by FatKatLuvr, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Mar 16, 2007 #1

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

Balance and Infinity

I don't know if this has been posted before but this will be my first thread started at this site.

It would seem that 9000 years ago, at least 7000 years before the rise of the ancient Egyptian Pyramids and the birth of Christ, there existed what is being called "the world's first ancient civilization" in Turkey. A civilization that was way ahead of it's time.

Located in a small village that has been named "Catalhoyuk", this ancient civilization boasted the world's first "equal society". Where men and women share an equal standing within the community. No male dominated society here! But this is not the only astonishing trait, what is equally fascinating are the statuettes that were found in the 1960's, in excavations conducted by James Mellaart. The statuettes depict a very large female (BBW/SSBBW) seated with two leopards on either side of her and underneath her the birth of a child.

Many "Goddess" oriented groups have claimed these finds as proof of ancient " Goddess worship" and closely connected with the theories of harvest and fertility rituals. Women in this society were the considered sacred and had great influence throughout the many "Goddess" worshipping civilizations that followed. There are other theories that connect the "Goddess" to the concept of the "Divine Feminine".

Here are a some great links giving more insight into this great discovery and the ongoing excavations at "Catalhoyuk":

http://rubens.anu.edu.au/turkey/ank...ivilizations/sculpture/statuettes/catalhoyuk/

http://www.istanbulportal.com/istanbulportal/Catalhoyuk.aspx

http://www.smm.org/catal/

http://www.catalhoyuk.com/

http://www.smm.org/catal/artifacts/figurines/

http://www.michaelbalter.com/

It would seem that the concept of FA's and BBW/SSBBW's, isn't entirely modern but instead prehistoric!

We are recapturing our ancient birthright in the so called modern world.:) Hope you enjoy the post!

FatKatLuvr:bow:

2. Mar 16, 2007 #2

malvineous

malvineous

malvineous

Hairy Thunderer

Wow, great find. The statues found there are fascinating. You can tell that not only a lot of love went into carving that statue, but also unlike the Venus of Willendorf (which is just an idealization of the female figure and fertility), a lot of anatomical knowledge went into it as well. Proportionally, this statue is very correct to what an actual SSBBW looks like (at least by ancient statue standards), and that shows that they must have had a substatial amount of women back then that were at least that big. I'd love to be able to go back to their civilization and ask them all sorts of questions. How were fat women different than skinny women? In what ways were they celebrated above? Were all men attracted to fat women, or was it more of a respect thing? How did they get so big without fast food? I must know :p

3. Mar 17, 2007 #3

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

Balance and Infinity

Well, my thoughts run along the same lines. How is it that they were able to depicted a much larger female form with such detail? Such a woman/women had to exist. Peter Paul Reubens, may have been the only artist to have depicted BBW/SSBBW's with this kind skill and grace. Many experts contend that these type of statuettes were merely symbolic and not representative of a true female form that may have existed at the time. Actually, it's been said women of this size couldn't have existed at that time period, although they have said it's possible that there may have been at least one or two that did exist within some communities, by ritual overfeeding. The fuller figure represented a respect for "mother earth", "the bearer of life" and "prosperity" for the tribe or community.

Please malvineous, let's not get into stereotypical thinking here. Fast food has had it's hand in expanding some waistlines over the years, but it is not the only contributing factor in weight gain of any sort.

In many civilizations the excesses of food were widely used in ceremonies and rituals. It can easily be understood that even without the present of "fast food", that an attainable amount of girth could be achieved if so desired. There were many fat people during the time of "Christ", not nearly as many as we have now, not nearly in great abundance but they did exist.

To me the thought that some people of size "never" existed is ridiculous because there were fat Greeks and Romans. Even Hollywood, in it's all out
    "fat bashing", couldn't depict the past without a few people of size sprinkled in their most classic movies. "Fat", is a part of the human genome and it's not going away.

Even to this day there are cultures abroad, that "fatten up " their women as a means of increasing a state of beauty and favorability in the eyes of males wanting a suitable bride. In thoses cultures "fast food" does not exist, just their traditional stables of sustenance is enough.

I don't believe it was one type of woman over the other or large vs. small. I think it was an appreciation and respect for all life around them and that again women being the bearers of life were celebrated because of this. A lot of this is merely guess work, even for so-called experts, because there was no written language at the time, we have only the statues and other artifacts to give an indication of what those culture's intentions were.

Being able to connect with the past is in a lot of ways the only means by which we can really understand our present and possible future. These types of finds inspire me and give a sense of hope that our society can transcend to it's higher self. One that really respects diversity in personal tastes, that deplores degradation and glorifies the fact beauty really comes in all forms especially large.

FatKatLuvr

4. Mar 17, 2007 #4

bigplaidpants

bigplaidpants

bigplaidpants

FAtari

FatKat, I checked out a few of your links. Really interesting! I'm not much of an ancient history buff, but that's for sharing.

5. Mar 17, 2007 #5

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

FatKatLuvr

Balance and Infinity

Yeah, I had been sitting on this find for quite a while. Since I haven't been here on the site in a while, I'm just getting around to posting it. It is really great. Glad you enjoyed.:)

FatKatLuvr

6. Mar 22, 2007 #6

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA

Great fine FatKatLuvr! It looks like we (BBW and FAs) have been awhile!

7. Mar 22, 2007 #7

The Obstreperous Ms. J

The Obstreperous Ms. J

The Obstreperous Ms. J

Omniscient Minority

What a great find! I can't wait to delve into these links!

thanks for posting this!

-j