Fat acceptance

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

I hated seeing the struggles that the woman who I was with was having in her efforts to lose weight.
It seemed to me that she was being misled by commonly held beliefs about how to lose weight.
At the same she was being judged and criticised by people who believe that weight gain is caused eating too much and not exercising enough. She was virtually being accused of gluttony, sloth and a lack of self discipline.
I can understand at least some of the struggle. When I weighed 120 Kilograms I wasn’t worried about my weight as I ate healthy natural food, very regularly did heavy workouts at the gym and got plenty of exercise. However my friends and family were so concerned about my health that I accepted a diet and exercise program written for me at the gym. I lost a few kilograms but after a few weeks started feeling hungry all the time on my balanced calorie controlled diet. I hated doing the long boring cardio exercise.
My ability to lift heavy weights was no longer increasing. I was strictly following my program but weight loss was decreasing.
I had less energy and soon my weight started increasing.
When my weight had increased to 120 Kilograms I gave up my weight loss goal. I chose to increase my vitality, energy and health instead.
I ate as much vegetables, meat, fish, eggs, olive oil and other natural foods as I wanted. I did short high intensity exercise instead of long boring cardio. People criticised my eating so much. My weight didn’t change much at first but my waist measurement steadily decreased.
I again made good progress at increasing my strength and over about 2 years I lost all that excess body fat.
I would love to help people have good control over their bodies and help them to free themselves from at least some of the unnecessary struggle.

Last edited:

extra_m13

fat people are judged bytheirlook but no one asks how theycan help.. .now , not every fat is the same, there are some happy , food lovers, but there are other that over eat on desperation and that is when things stop being fun and cool if you ask me, like any other addiction probably, when you are not really in control

fat people are judged bytheirlook but no one asks how theycan help.. .now , not every fat is the same, there are some happy , food lovers, but there are other that over eat on desperation and that is when things stop being fun and cool if you ask me, like any other addiction probably, when you are not really in control

That’s true. Much of the judgment is extremely harsh.
The few times I have asked someone how I can help, I have been asked to do things like helping them to stick to a diet when it seems to me that their diet will only slow down their metabolism and make matters worse.
I don’t think I would ever give anyone any money to buy a weight loss product ever again!
I would like to improve my ability to handle such a situation in a more compassionate way.
Yes not everyone is the same. Also their desires and circumstances can change over time. I am often undecided about how much body fat I want. I enjoyed weighing 120 Kilograms. It was fun and cool for me but it had my friends and family very worried.

DazzlingAnna

It's not a bug, it's a feature.
[...]
I again made good progress at increasing my strength and over about 2 years I lost all that excess body fat.
I would love to help people have good control over their bodies and help them to free themselves from at least some of the unnecessary struggle.

Hey @Peter1948

I might read too much or missing the point in your post or I am just in a bad mood this morning. If that's the case I apologize in advance.

The point is - I don't get the connection between your threads' title "Fat acceptance" and what you wrote especially in your last paragraph of your first post.

Having control over the body, getting rid of having "unneccessary strugle" aka know as body fat that "everybody" dislikes.

I am learning every day about size acceptance, fat acceptance, body acceptance, body positivity, body neutrality, etc. and all nuances in between these terms.

I am not able to find the connection of "fat acceptance" and your post.

Is fat acceptance* something you agree with or you disagree with?
Can you explain, please?

*from wikipedia...
The fat acceptance movement, also known as fat pride, fat empowerment, and fat activism, is a social movement which seeks to eliminate the social stigma of fatness from social attitudes by pointing out the social obstacles which are faced by fat people to the general public. [...]

Hey @Peter1948

I might read too much or missing the point in your post or I am just in a bad mood this morning. If that's the case I apologize in advance.

The point is - I don't get the connection between your threads' title "Fat acceptance" and what you wrote especially in your last paragraph of your first post.

Having control over the body, getting rid of having "unneccessary strugle" aka know as body fat that "everybody" dislikes.

I am learning every day about size acceptance, fat acceptance, body acceptance, body positivity, body neutrality, etc. and all nuances in between these terms.

I am not able to find the connection of "fat acceptance" and your post.

Is fat acceptance* something you agree with or you disagree with?
Can you explain, please?

*from wikipedia...
The fat acceptance movement, also known as fat pride, fat empowerment, and fat activism, is a social movement which seeks to eliminate the social stigma of fatness from social attitudes by pointing out the social obstacles which are faced by fat people to the general public. [...]

Thanks DazzlingAnna. I apologise for confusion that I have caused by forgetting about the Fat Acceptance movement.
I was thinking about the unwanted and unnecessary struggles that many of us face regarding our body fat.
Thanks for showing me that explanation of the Fat Acceptance Movement.
I agree with the Fat Acceptance Movement‘s aim to eliminate the social stigmas of fatness. I agree that educating the public with an understanding of the social problems faced by fat people is useful. Especially if the public also understands about how much damage is caused to innocent and vulnerable people by unhealthy unnatural ideals for body image.
I am amazed to discover how many people believe that nobody wants to be fat. I don’t believe it is true because often want to be fat and I know many others who either covertly or overtly want to be fat.
I enjoy my freedom to choose how fat or skinny I want to be and I want others to have that freedom for themselves too.

Latest posts