Quantcast

Fat as a compliment?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

succubus_dxb

Badonk. Adonk.
I've gotten the occasional "you carry yourself so well at your size" :rolleyes: I don't think that's particularly nice- How about "you carry yourself so well."?

GoldenDelicious

It's the naughty step 4U!
I was at a wedding last weekend and my friend that i hadn't seen for a while said "you look georgous with that bit of extra weight on you". I totally took this as a compliment of course! I began to wonder if maby i took this as a compliment because i am an Fa and that other women might not have. You hear people trying to compliment people all the time by asking them if they have lost weight. Has anyone been complimented (by a non Fa) by anything to do with fat/weight/curves.
hmm.. should this be on the 'weight board'? I'm not turned on..promise! :D
:rolleyes:
it depends on the person, their size and how they feel about it. Personally, if someone said to me, wow you look great, you've put on loads of weight. I would not be impressed. This is because I don't want to be bigger or look like I have gained weight. In the same breath I hate people saying, " you look great, have you lost weight" because they think I'll be flattered or pleased to hear that. If this happens when I haven't lost weight or even put weight on then I know the other person is saying that because they think I'll be pleased and they probably don't think I look any different. I have a friend who does this and it drives me mental. Why not just say you look great and let size be irrelevant?

By the way Mer, your pal thought you looked great because you looked great, he saw the weight as a positive thing because you were wearing a dress and looked very feminine and you were showing cleavage. You were dressed up for a wedding and looked lovely, some people think when you lose weight you look ill. Not you personally, people in general. However you had lost weight when you were ill and so he probs associated the two, you were fuller figured and looked healthy and glowing. Gorgeous woman that you are xx

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
Definitely dependent on who's saying it and their overall tone/intention.

Although I don't see why it's any different than the millions who feel fine offering up the "you look great, you've lost weight!" which is said to me a lot and I find it completely annoying and obnoxious. It's like a roving assumption that that is something I'd want to hear as if I'm some societal teet-sucker who is just dying for that type of validation.

I realize they can't help but think I'd drink from that fountain - but I don't, and being lumped in with those who do drives me up a wall. Especially when any loss I've had is due to health-necessitated diet changes, or not really any loss at all. It's like the "throw the fat girl a bone" line that people pull out.

Blegh.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I've never had a non-FA comment on a gain as a positive thing, but I have had a small number of people tell me I look attractive at a certain size. Generally, this was when I was more in the 220-250 range though as opposed to the 330 I'm at now.

shellbelle

p.r.d.c.t.
This really only happened to me once... My older brother is completely obsessed with his body and his body image. He's had lipo a few times, and goes to the gym every siiiingle day. He's really fat phobic (to both people and any fat on his own body).

Anyway, I only get to see him a few times a year, and once in between visits, I put on probably 40 lbs. Much to my surprise, he told me I actually looked better. That the weight "filled me out" and that I looked "more proportional." Now, this probably sounds strange to people who don't know my brother and possibly not like a compliment at all, but it was. And I was shocked.

swamptoad

Josalynn complimented my looks a while back. Says I look more handsome with a fuller face than when we had first met. This has been a while, though. I compliment her looks all the time whether she takes them or not. :doh::blush: :wubu:

frankman

The Eternal Cowboy
I've gotten the occasional "you carry yourself so well at your size" :rolleyes: I don't think that's particularly nice- How about "you carry yourself so well."?
Ouch, that's a bit of a consolation prize, isn't it?

I never comment on people's weight. I must admit don't really notice it either. (That is: I do know when people are like really big, but there's a whole section in the middle, average sized if you will, where other people will say "she's quite large" and I'd be like "Yeah? I don't see it.")

but the reason I don't, is that you never know how people feel about their weight/size, plus if you're going to give a compliment, why make it so specific? If you like the way someone looks with a bit of weight on, why not say "you look great" instead of "you look great now you're bigger"?

My friend's mother gets really awkward around bigger people, but tries very hard not to bring the issue up, so I (25 year old hairy guy) have gotten compliments on my face and skin from her. She did the same thing with my girlfriend, who's a bit sensitive about her weight and of course saw straight through the veiled comment, but when I explained she said the same thing to me, she could see the humor in it.

BarbBBW

Yep, I am BACK!
AGreed my friend,... ""you weigh how much? wow u must carry it well"" :doh:

Umm yeah

KHayes666

Go away
I say fat related stuff as a compliment all the time, its only the truth. If they're hot, they're hot.

katherine22

I was at a wedding last weekend and my friend that i hadn't seen for a while said "you look georgous with that bit of extra weight on you". I totally took this as a compliment of course! I began to wonder if maby i took this as a compliment because i am an Fa and that other women might not have. You hear people trying to compliment people all the time by asking them if they have lost weight. Has anyone been complimented (by a non Fa) by anything to do with fat/weight/curves.
hmm.. should this be on the 'weight board'? I'm not turned on..promise! :D
:rolleyes:
No matter what anyone says to you, take it as a compliment.

1love_emily

COLLEGE
I almost always get complimented on weight gain by non-FAs, though I don't like ANY weight-related comment at all. I am underweight though, if that makes a difference.
I think being complemented as fat can be taken two different ways.

If it's not an FA complementing you for being fat, then I would take it as an insult. I would think they were making fun of me, and I'd be really upset.

But if that person is a proclaimed FA, then I think it would be great.

I think the best way to even utilize this complement has to be said: I think it's only acceptable if you are an FA or FFA praising your own (like bf/gf) BBW or BHM.

KHayes666

Go away
I think being complemented as fat can be taken two different ways.

If it's not an FA complementing you for being fat, then I would take it as an insult. I would think they were making fun of me, and I'd be really upset.

But if that person is a proclaimed FA, then I think it would be great.

I think the best way to even utilize this complement has to be said: I think it's only acceptable if you are an FA or FFA praising your own (like bf/gf) BBW or BHM.
That's not really a good way to judge someone though.

If it wasn't for me being on Dims you'd have no idea I was an F/A if you saw me on the street. With that said, if I came up to you on the street and said you were a gorgeous bbw....you're saying you'd take it as an insult? My point is, maybe non-proclaimed guys ARE f/a's that you just need to give a chance to.

Then again, I will say some verbage that's used shouldn't be used when first introducing yourself so I can see why you'd be offended in some cases. I've been to enough dances to see just how tactless some f/a's are.

Adrian

??
I have complimented many BBWs and SSBBWs that they look better then the last time I saw them. Or, something that infers that I recognized they have gained weight -are larger and, that I find them more attractive.
Then again, it doesn't take long for any woman who knows me to figure out I love BBWs!

AmazingAmy

As someone else has already mentioned, how I take it depends on whether the complimenter is an FA or not (or a fellow fatty). I can take compliments about size and fatness from FAs and other fat people because, to me, they just understand it and do appreciate its asthetic value. But coming from someone in my ordinary life who isn't just feels like an insult. I've had the similiar veiled comments as some people here, about how that outfit really compliments (hides) my figure, my 'pretty face', my dress sense (knows she's fat and doesn't try to dress like a skinny), and how I carry myself (don't waddled too much). I shouldn't be mad at these people because I know they're trying to be nice about something they're deeply uncomfortable with, but I do feel like snapping 'don't talk about what you don't understand' sometimes. I know those are all generalisations and big judgements, but I just get so many back-handed compliments from well-wishers, however unintentional.

Nothing irks me more though than 'oh Amy don't be silly, you're not fat!' followed by a poorly hidden wince from them. Yes, I'm sure the lie was hard to tell, but at least she fell for it. :doh:

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
That's not really a good way to judge someone though.

If it wasn't for me being on Dims you'd have no idea I was an F/A if you saw me on the street. With that said, if I came up to you on the street and said you were a gorgeous bbw....you're saying you'd take it as an insult? My point is, maybe non-proclaimed guys ARE f/a's that you just need to give a chance to.

Then again, I will say some verbage that's used shouldn't be used when first introducing yourself so I can see why you'd be offended in some cases. I've been to enough dances to see just how tactless some f/a's are.

Why not just call her a gorgeous woman? Why the need to point out her size? If you were attracted to thin women (no idea if you are or not) would you walk up to her and tell her she was a gorgeous thin woman?

I think that's what lots of ladies take issue with, the fact that our size is pointed out to us so often. Between people who find fat women gross and men who feel the need to proclaim their love of fat, we never get to just be people. We're always that fat girl in one way, shape, or form. It gets tiring...

fat9276

Why not just call her a gorgeous woman? Why the need to point out her size? If you were attracted to thin women (no idea if you are or not) would you walk up to her and tell her she was a gorgeous thin woman?

I think that's what lots of ladies take issue with, the fact that our size is pointed out to us so often. Between people who find fat women gross and men who feel the need to proclaim their love of fat, we never get to just be people. We're always that fat girl in one way, shape, or form. It gets tiring...

very well said :) repped!

bigjayne66

Belly Queen
I would love to be complemented on my size and be told I look gorgeous,sadly,here in the UK it just doesn't seem to happen,it's all sniggers and insults when a 400 plus lb woman is waddling past:(

KHayes666

Go away

I am attracted to thin women. I've dated one as recent as 2 years ago and in fact, if I was single right now I'd have no problem asking her out. She's a better dating option than a lot of fat women I know and it has absolutely nothing to do with looks.

As it is, I'm in love with a really sweet, double gorgeous woman who's better than most everyone I've ever met. She has all the looks, all the personality, none of the drama. I call her every compliment I can think of and even make up words just to compliment her with.

And yes, I call her a variety of size related names. She loves it because she knows I find her absolutely gorgeous. She told me herself she gets off on me getting off on her. If she (or anyone) had a problem with it, obviously I wouldn't say that kind of stuff.

Being called a supersized sexy goddess maybe something you don't want, but there are others who love it.

Mysti Mountains

SSBBW Goddess
I generally don't notice the looks I get and the things people say, but after spending a day with an online friend, he asked me if I ALWAYS get that kind of attention...I had no clue what he was talking about...He told me to pay attention when I walked into the gas station to get gas...sure enough, at least three guys made appreciative comments...not directly to me, but definately about me...Of course I was dressed in something a little revealing that day...

Latest posts